Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699416 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Surprised you didn't mention Marcus Aurelius, DH.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you implying the Pimperor needs something beyond his natural... presence to do what he does? He has no need for magic.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Sacrificing animals giving powers, or allowing divination or somesuch? Pledging yourself to some god, with increased abilities on their day/time/place (a disciple of Mars having greater martial abilities on Tuesday (dies Martis), a disciple of Janus being under protection while under doorways)? You could include the gods of other civilizations too. Just uttering Latin phrases for spells, perhaps? Hey, it worked for Rowling. I don't know if the Romans still worshipped Hecate, but she's straight-up goddess of magic and witchcraft.

EDIT: This Wiki page might be good reading if you haven't already. Fairly interesting, actually.

Being a magus who only gets magical powers once a week would be a pretty funny concept, I think. Or a mage whose powers only work if either the caster or a target is standing under a doorway. Think of the mass destruction that would result should the two meet.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I liked the office worker/alien world idea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I liked the office worker/alien world idea.

That was actually my very first RTD idea (had the first post worked out and everything), and it went a little bit like this:

Roll to Civilize for Fun and Profit

You are one of 6 people employed by the Parr-Zinne Corporation to go and civilize an alien world for some nebulous purpose after filling out a mysterious form during your workday. This is the form:

These are the departments:

The idea of it is that you go over to this planet and civilize the crap out of them with the help of your advanced technology and skills obtained from working at Parr-Zinne, installing yourself as leaders by any means necessary.

Does that sound fun to any of you?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:36:17 pm by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yes, I think it's an interesting idea. Character sheet is long though! Would it be very serious?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I think it's an interesting idea. Character sheet is long though! Would it be very serious?

No, not really. Well, you could play it entirely seriously, but there would definitely be silliness at some point. After all, it is a situation where ordinary office workers are given advanced technology probably beyond their ken and free reign over a planet full of less advanced aliens.

Plus, you might notice that out of all the questions in the sheet, only two really matter - your name and your department. The rest substitute for a bio and character description.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yes, I saw for the department but looks offputting ;) sorry, on phone so lengthy comments notpossible right now ;)

Edit: also I am probably more pro silly than serious and think itwould work well silly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:07:45 pm by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the way I envisioned it was that it would be silly, but not in a very overt way. For instance, the technology might work in a silly manner and the office workers themselves might occasionally operate like idiots, plus there might be a bit of funny alien culture, but otherwise it would generally proceed somewhat realistically.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

You know what's stupid? Before starting my last RTD, I had to re-install windows because of a virus. I lost all my progress on it, so now I couldn't revive it even if I wanted to. I do feel like starting an RTD, but something less ambitious this time, just because it seems that otherwise I always lose my enthusiasm to run it. The thing I want to know is if my reputation is shit now. I abandoned like 90% of my RTDs before even starting and the ones that I DID start were abandoned quite early. I'm afraid that there'll be a time when absolutely no one will sign up for my RTDs just because I'm a horrible person that ruins dreams by abandoning stuff that could potentially be awesome.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousan
« Reply #5605 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

@tomas: Less complaining, more acting. If you feel like running a RtD, then post the OP and people will join it, it's that simple.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Caellath speaks the truth.

You might not have noticed, but

I abandoned like 90% of my RTDs before even starting and the ones that I DID start were abandoned quite early.

kind of applies to most RtDs on here...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Oh, man, Prophets of the New God sounds like excellent fun! I really like the 'each player influences the god via their suggestions' mechanic, that would add a certain element of... Well, I don't know, excellence!
After playing in LBAD, I certainly believe that you as a GM could pull that off very nicely.

I abandoned like 90% of my RTDs before even starting and the ones that I DID start were abandoned quite early.

I always feel bad about abandoning all my RtDs. :( The last one I just sort of forgot about, when I was moving out, and by the time I remembered it it had been long enough that reviving it would've felt silly. Ugh.
And I'm always having new ideas for RTDs, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

Oh, man, Prophets of the New God sounds like excellent fun! I really like the 'each player influences the god via their suggestions' mechanic, that would add a certain element of... Well, I don't know, excellence!
After playing in LBAD, I certainly believe that you as a GM could pull that off very nicely.

I always feel bad about abandoning all my RtDs. :( The last one I just sort of forgot about, when I was moving out, and by the time I remembered it it had been long enough that reviving it would've felt silly. Ugh.
And I'm always having new ideas for RTDs, too.

Yeah, I kinda abandoned three RTDs so far. And only because it was all too hard for me. At this point, I think I COULD start a new RTD, but only when I get a schedule for updating. Would anyone be interested in either a Team Fortress 2 RTD or Magicka RTD? Magicka would follow the same formula as ExKirby's little mage school thing he did a while back, rolling for each separate element, unless performing a Magick. The TF2 one would involve me having to communicate separately with the two separate teams. Maybe getting a top-down view of the map, and having that to keep track of where everyone is. Classes would get bonuses, can select their loadouts, and, as the game progresses, people can A) Buy weapons, B) Trade weapons with another player, even from the other team, or C) Just wait until they FIND weapons. I'll show each player what hats they have on, what loadouts they have, and any effects they have. This information would be shown to everyone but the other team. Once the round starts, I'll give the RED team a turn or two to get into their positions and BLU just goes for it. Points are earned for kills, objectives, and overall winning. These points will replace real money in the purchasing of Hats, Accessories, and Weapons.

Anyone think they would be interested in either?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

You know what's stupid? Before starting my last RTD, I had to re-install windows because of a virus. I lost all my progress on it, so now I couldn't revive it even if I wanted to.
That's why I keep my RTD plans on a USB every once and a while. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 661