Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702334 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Maybe have resource-gathering be possible in three tiers of areas - places (plains and low-density forests, all of which are close to the village) with low-value resources, but also no chance of the Summoner discovering you and acting appropriately, places farther away where you can also find more valuable stuff (deep forests, caves, foothills), but the Summoner can potentially find you, and places where the best stuff is (the Summoner's lair, deep in the mountains), but the Summoner will doubtlessly know you're there unless in unusual circumstances? It would add a bit of variety.

In addition, consider having more players to begin with and more possible classes. Three normal players and three normal classes is a bit restrictive. How about adding classes like a healer and such on top?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Maybe have resource-gathering be possible in three tiers of areas - places (plains and low-density forests, all of which are close to the village) with low-value resources, but also no chance of the Summoner discovering you and acting appropriately, places farther away where you can also find more valuable stuff (deep forests, caves, foothills), but the Summoner can potentially find you, and places where the best stuff is (the Summoner's lair, deep in the mountains), but the Summoner will doubtlessly know you're there unless in unusual circumstances? It would add a bit of variety.

In addition, consider having more players to begin with and more possible classes. Three normal players and three normal classes is a bit restrictive. How about adding classes like a healer and such on top?
I think that maybe extra classes should be available for use, depending on the character's skills. So if a explorer becomes good at fighting, or something, they could change to a ranger, or something to that effect.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

The Labyrithine Depths. (Or other title.)

A game of exploration and mystery, decend into the Depths, and find vast fortunes, devious traps, and devilish monsters. How deep will you get?

So, here I am again with an idea. This one focuses around exploration, and mapmaking. A massive dungeon, many levels deep filled with all sorts of cool shit. Players would have to explore each level to find treasure, secrets, and the way down. Death would mean loss of all items, save the map, and transportation back to the spawn. Such lewt to be found could include weapons, tools, magical spells, and items. Lewt increases in power as you desend, with the best stuff near the bottom, as well as monsters and traps. I got the idea from a mix of Rouglikes, Dark Souls, and Perplexicon. Any comments, ideas, or help would be appreciated.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

The Labyrithine Depths. (Or other title.)

A game of exploration and mystery, decend into the Depths, and find vast fortunes, devious traps, and devilish monsters. How deep will you get?

So, here I am again with an idea. This one focuses around exploration, and mapmaking. A massive dungeon, many levels deep filled with all sorts of cool shit. Players would have to explore each level to find treasure, secrets, and the way down. Death would mean loss of all items, save the map, and transportation back to the spawn. Such lewt to be found could include weapons, tools, magical spells, and items. Lewt increases in power as you desend, with the best stuff near the bottom, as well as monsters and traps. I got the idea from a mix of Rouglikes, Dark Souls, and Perplexicon. Any comments, ideas, or help would be appreciated.
Interesting, but too vague for me to really give good suggestions for. I mean, I guess I could throw out things I might add or ways I might do things, but nothing really comes to mind as more universal advice.

In unrelated news (other than also being vague), philosophical/setting preference question:

Let's say there's a game with multiple magic skills, and also multiple weapon skills. Would you generally prefer that the weapon skills be "realistic," or full-tilt anime/high fantasy? Would smashing a hammer into the ground to produce a shockwave, for instance, be the kind of thing that should only be possible with, say, hammers and earth magic, or viable as a pure hammer skill?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that if you can do magic with mundane skills, what's the point of learning magic? Kind of devalues the concept, no?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Potentially, yeah. On the other hand, if you can learn magic, what's the point of mundane skills?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Potentially, yeah. On the other hand, if you can learn magic, what's the point of mundane skills?

Magic runs out, mundane things do not. It's kind of like using a crossbow versus using a hammer - a crossbow is an ultimately preferable weapon because you get to shoot at people from a distance and there's nothing they can do about it except shoot back. However, once you're out of ammo or the guy with the big hammer and the skill to use it is in your face, you're screwed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

In unrelated news (other than also being vague), philosophical/setting preference question:

Let's say there's a game with multiple magic skills, and also multiple weapon skills. Would you generally prefer that the weapon skills be "realistic," or full-tilt anime/high fantasy? Would smashing a hammer into the ground to produce a shockwave, for instance, be the kind of thing that should only be possible with, say, hammers and earth magic, or viable as a pure hammer skill?
Personally, I'm all for realistic. My extent of comfortable fantasy-physics only extends so far as magic or magical items that are supposed to be able to bend the laws of physics and so on. Once the laws of physics or whatever begin differing from reality significantly for mundane items, I get uncomfortable and suddenly stop taking things seriously.

Non-personally, I'd say it'd depend on the setting. If the setting was super-hero or anime or something along those lines, then it'd fit right in. If it's generic medieval or steampunk or whatever, I don't think it'd fit.

Also, what Harry said.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile

what about a game following the "Sword Art Online" archetype?

magic would be replaced with various combat enhancing skills allowing attacks normally prevented by physics such as split second dash attacks and uppercut slashes that launch you (and weak enemies) 30 feet into the air.

for those of you who haven't watched SOA the plot is as follows.

10,000 "lucky" gamers in japan manage buy the only copies of a virtual reality game made by the creator of the "nervegear" virtual reality platform, after several hours of gameplay they discover that there is no option to log out in the main menu and none of the game moderators respond to any help requests, this prompts the creator of the game to mass teleport everyone to the starting area and explain the real truth behind SOA.

basically the whole thing is some sort of experiment the creator is running and that the only way out of the game is to beat all 100 floors of the floating castle dungeon thingy, but there's a few problems.

If you die in game then your nervegear system will deliver a fatal dose of microwave radiation to your brain ten seconds later killing you instantly.
If someone attempts to remove your nervegear more radiation therapy occurs,
mapping is completely manual and the beta testers only got to the eight floor, problem is all the floors and bosses have been subtly altered so your flying blind there anyway.
oh and if that isn't bad enough there's a time limit, if you don't beat the game within a few years your body is gonna give out on you.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Hmm, sounds like any virtual reality gone wrong movie ever. Spy Kids 3D had almost the exact same plot, minus radiation therapy.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah but in spy kids 3D the game was cruddy and forced you to play via forced addiction or something and was a plot to take over the world or something, i dunno really as i couldnt watch it due to horribad.

The SOA concept is more like SAW meets fantasy rpg, its a test of your will to survive and/or save your fellow players. Your free to give up at any time and you know full well what happens if you do, plus the creator guy is just doing it cos hes a nutbag.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

True enough. I was young enough to enjoy the SK3D movie when I saw it, when it was brand new with cutting edge visuals.
However, when I remember it now, it just comes across as a cheesy rip-off of... well, something, I tend to avoid movies with that basic plot because I'm afraid they'll be even worse then SK3D.
SOA sounds pretty cool - I don't like horror movies, but it sounds like the horror is played down a little to focus on the emotional and technological aspects. It might not even be a horror, and the reference to SAW was just describing the antagonist. Meh. If I see it on Netflix or in a store later, I'll decide whether to watch it then.

Summarize: "True enough, I wonder if I'd enjoy SOA."
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The initial plot setting is saw meets rpg with the whole beat my game to prove you deserve to live thing but pretty much all of the horror that could have been inserted into SOA is just swept under the rug, sure theres player killing guilds running around and entire guilds get wiped out by overpowered bosses or traps but it focuses more on the emotional and psychological aspects.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

SAO tis an anime, not a movie.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's my rough idea for an RTD that I came up with in the last few minutes:

Prohibitio Magica
An alternate history RTD set in Prohition-era Chicago.

In this setting, organized crime syndicates bootleg alcohol in its pure form, often, the kingpins themselves are the ones responsible for the smuggling. The alcohol is then diluted and mixed with drinks, ready to be sold.
Of course, the police have their suspicions, but they can't seem find proof of it; furthermore, unseen forces are preying upon their officers...

The players each play as the magically-empowered leaders of these criminal organizations with each player allowed to set up their own organization and recruit other players as well as non-magical NPCs. Players cannot be arrested, nor may they be killed, instead, they indirectly fight each other for control and personally skirmish with the police to protect their own operations.

The players each play as a magical girl, they conceal alcohol in the outfits of their magical forms before reverting into their normal forms and switching back when its safe. The contents of their magical clothing disappear when the clothing is switched out, thus they can transport their material with zero risk of detection. This ensures that the players will always be able to transport some of their materials. When attacking police forces in their magical forms, the players build up "heat", when they leave combat, they have to hide for a certain amount of time before they can revert their form and continue their operations, heat is a quantized measure of this.

Covert incapacitations/kills and "unfortunate accidents" don't generate any heat.

Players are immune to whatever weapons the police use so they can pretty much do whatever they want to interfere with police activities, the risk taken in attacking the police is that the heat delay may allow other players to gain a larger share of the market. However, it rewards the player by diverting attention away from their operations and can also be used as a tool to destroy investigations against them.

Players will have to balance the operation of their criminal dealings with the acquisition of materials (they can get NPCs to do it to increase their supply, but NPCs don't ahve magical powers so they may get caught) as well as staving off the attention of the law enforcement agencies.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:43:33 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 661