Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699534 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7545 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:49 am »

Guys, I had a thought: What if we had a tournament style game where each player's 'competitors' were their past characters from other RtDs?
This happened many times before.

The only problem was this:
> GM somehow burned out or discontinued updating. :(

So what I'm saying is: GO RUN THAT! D:<

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7546 on: January 08, 2014, 08:07:00 am »

How about an RTD where different GMs run worlds/missions in the style of of their own RTDs, dead or running. The same group of characters coukd go through a gauntlet of systems and settings, from Multiworld Madness to Einsteinian Roulette, meeting enemies and witnessing sights from Their Coming Is At Hand, Roll to Priest and Perplexicon, before diving into, say, Tales of Shattered Dreams.

Granted, you'd need a lot of cooperating GMs of popular games.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: January 08, 2014, 08:10:35 am »

I think "cooperating" is the hard part... GMing is strenuous enough when you're working alone, on your own setting.
On paper it seems like having multiple GMs should make things easier, but then it requires a large amount of coordination. :P That said, I hope someone does run it, and successfully, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: January 08, 2014, 08:21:23 am »

I meant a succession of GMs, with free reign to do your own thing, too. Cooperation'd be help converting things in case of different system, plus being aware of when to let someone else take over.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:00 am »

Working on a kind of adventure thing
Eight classes and four starting equipment packs so far
Warrior, Guardian, Chemist, Ranger, Wizard, Performer Paladin, and Knight
There's no limit on stats or weapons based on class, though some classes affect stats
The pictured wizard clothes come with a sword staff, so everyone has the ability to carry any weapon if they can lift it, getting a bonus to weapons their class works well with (Chemist gets flintlocks, by the way.)
Each class has a Main, Sub, and High ability.
Main abilities are often some sort of active ability- the Chemist can craft x amount of potions/day, for instance.
Sub abilities are often passive- chemist's Lab Coat gives resistance to all ailments.
High abilities are unlocked after completing some objective or something, sort of a "prestige" ability, not sure about any of these yet
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:12 am »

I'm pretty sure such a succession game has been tried before. I don't think it got past the first GM.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: January 08, 2014, 09:05:05 am »

Endless RTD.

Dammit Gat.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: January 08, 2014, 09:08:58 am »

How about a game where there's seven players, one of which is the GM for a select number of turns (from one to five, maybe)? And the title of GM would rotate among the players - when one takes up the role, their character goes out of their control and instead operates by the suggestions of their fellow players? Unlike Roll to GM, it wouldn't be minimalist. I'd be interested in seeing what that ends up as.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:43 am »

I think a strict update schedule would help out with making sure GMs keep up. Basically, if they haven't posted for four days, say, the next GM is fully within his rights to pick up where he left off.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:01 am »

Alright, this has been gnawing at me for days. Weeks. A month, to consider all details.

I would be asking a question, but that would be later if the general consensus sees my predicament and the choices.

So I'm bothered. While I'm full on and ready for updating my RtD, I worry more on part on the response of my players--I worry if they're interested at all in it anymore. Due to problems back in October and RL stuffs which cropped up (then holidays...), couldn't update. I'm fully ok with updating again...but the tl;dr is that I worry if anyone playing in it is still interested. >_>
Though I guess I should just shoot out a general PM...that didn't cross my mind when I posted this and now its edited and agrghgh

The question is: Would the factor of 'what timeframe most people are interested in' affect the game? Like, would people prefer a more medieval-type game, or a futuristic one if a new RTD was run?
Not even a good written question. <_<

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: January 08, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

Everyone likes a new RTD. Don't worry about the setting too much.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:47 am »

Occasionally people play genre favorites (I like medieval over sci-fi), but if the game's good, it's good, and people will play.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: January 08, 2014, 11:07:51 am »

Errm, I mean that, sans my personal IRL problems getting in the way, I'm really curious on whether people are still interested despite the wait. Because I talked to a player and he said (while he's interested) that if delays will go as such then in general the playerbase will slowly whittle out and soon the RTD will be lacking and die, paraphrased from memory and I may be interpreting it wrong..but that's what I got.

And being a newbie GM is...well it pretty much has a greater effect than one who has GMd a lot and has a beltload of experience on that matter.

Occasionally people play genre favorites (I like medieval over sci-fi), but if the game's good, it's good, and people will play.
...And said GM asking that question is unsure of her own esteem >_> But..I got it. Thank you both for that very muchly.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:40 am »

Everyone likes a new RTD. Don't worry about the setting too much.

The setting is important, actually. A medieval-type game has significantly different gameplay than a futuristic one.

What's more important, though, is how elaborate the game is (you could actually relate that to the setting as well - futuristic lends itself to complexity more, medieval lends itself to greater simplicity). Highly elaborate games tend to have extremely slow update rates. They're fun to sign up for, though.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: January 08, 2014, 11:14:25 am »

Well, what I mean is, don't worry about the setting in the context of player interest. Players can and will sign up for anything. While you will have people having genre favoritism, as Freeformer said, you'll still have people joining in despite this so it's not a noticeable loss.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 661