Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702450 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7590 on: January 10, 2014, 03:04:02 am »

I thought the point was that the GMs could change systems and settings as they saw fit, with dimensional travel or somesuch. Even if it means space commandos with rayguns intruding on the streets of your Clockpunk Venice.

Well, that's one way to do it, but I doubt it'd result in anything too good, considering how many rapid setting changes this might cause. It'd probably get ridiculous.

I'd like to see a thread based solely on choosing a number of people, then letting them do exactly that, order based on die rolls. The setting is fleshed out in some way, and placed in a guidebook of sorts.

So, let's say, the next six posts who want to add something to this can, and I'll try to write something about the result.

Post your contribution in bright-ass orange, please!

The setting's technological level is set in the near future relative to earth's timeline. In example, Ballistic guns are still in wide use, but vehicle-scale laser weaponry has begun adoption, and machines are part of everyone's life in nearly every facet of life. Google (or whatever company) has released self-driving transit in major cities. Water filters in common sinks are good enough to match bottled water quality in most areas. Fiber-optic cables span every coast and deliver insane connection speeds.

((Remember that that is only the available tech level- not what people are doing with the tech RIGHT NOW if you give them something more important to deal with.))

The setting is an Earth-like planet, but not Earth itself. Its most notable differences from Earth are the fact that there are only two, relatively small continents and a whole lot of islands, which all together make up about 40% of the planet's surface (the rest of it is water) and the fact that the ocean is inhabited by a cultured, peace-loving, intellectually-advanced, yet also highly territorial alien race that superficially resemble large sea lilies. They try to keep both the seas and the airspace above them clear of foreign intrusion with the aid of their advanced missile technology (the result of a huge military buildup they had because of an as-of-yet undetermined conflict in the past), which, it must be said, the humans find most inconvenient, as it impedes their expansion efforts quite a bit. Still, the aliens don't see fit to invade the dry lands, and it is unknown whether this is due to an inability to survive on land (whether they can or cannot live on land is also a subject of great debate) or unwillingness to go to war with humans.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7591 on: January 10, 2014, 04:22:09 am »

Rapid? I was under the impression each GM section would be fairly lenghty, enough for some wonderful adventure to be had. Not that it'd change every three turns or summat.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:33 am »

I thought the point was that the GMs could change systems and settings as they saw fit, with dimensional travel or somesuch. Even if it means space commandos with rayguns intruding on the streets of your Clockpunk Venice.

Well, that's one way to do it, but I doubt it'd result in anything too good, considering how many rapid setting changes this might cause. It'd probably get ridiculous.
Themes. That's a good place to rerail if one GM is being too 'ridiculous'. :P

I'd like to see a thread based solely on choosing a number of people, then letting them do exactly that, order based on die rolls. The setting is fleshed out in some way, and placed in a guidebook of sorts.

So, let's say, the next six posts who want to add something to this can, and I'll try to write something about the result.

The setting's technological level is set in the near future relative to earth's timeline. In example, Ballistic guns are still in wide use, but vehicle-scale laser weaponry has begun adoption, and machines are part of everyone's life in nearly every facet of life. Google (or whatever company) has released self-driving transit in major cities. Water filters in common sinks are good enough to match bottled water quality in most areas. Fiber-optic cables span every coast and deliver insane connection speeds.

((Remember that that is only the available tech level- not what people are doing with the tech RIGHT NOW if you give them something more important to deal with.))

The setting is an Earth-like planet, but not Earth itself. Its most notable differences from Earth are the fact that there are only two, relatively small continents and a whole lot of islands, which all together make up about 40% of the planet's surface (the rest of it is water) and the fact that the ocean is inhabited by a cultured, peace-loving, intellectually-advanced, yet also highly territorial alien race that superficially resemble large sea lilies. They try to keep both the seas and the airspace above them clear of foreign intrusion with the aid of their advanced missile technology (the result of a huge military buildup they had because of an as-of-yet undetermined conflict in the past), which, it must be said, the humans find most inconvenient, as it impedes their expansion efforts quite a bit. Still, the aliens don't see fit to invade the dry lands, and it is unknown whether this is due to an inability to survive on land (whether they can or cannot live on land is also a subject of great debate) or unwillingness to go to war with humans.
The setting's organized lifeforms conform to most governments we have in the 21st century: Democracy, Absolute Monarchy, Dictatorship, etc...While despotic styles of government or nation-states exist, most of sentient life prefer organization through governance of a small party or a network of communities. Of the multiple and major lifeforms, there exist various minorities within some civilizations that, while differences are not apparent, there exists to some levels a discriminatory boundary between minorities in order to segregate labor and profession--how these people are seen as a generality and to society; the opposite is seen in the minor lifeforms wherein individualism is valued just as much as the collective goal and mind: both these mindsets conform to both organic and artificial life.

Rapid? I was under the impression each GM section would be fairly lenghty, enough for some wonderful adventure to be had. Not that it'd change every three turns or summat.
Now this makes better sense! :D

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: January 10, 2014, 04:29:55 am »

Ah, then that's different. The idea I eventually came to was sort of a Rashomon-style thing, except each of the players tell their own section of the entire story rather than the same sequence of events.

Yours, on the other hand, I could imagine as a game where each of the players is a Greek-style physical god having fun in their celestial realms, with the change of GM corresponding to a change of realm. The GM would be the god whose realm is entered, and they would be responsible for entertaining their guests with various interesting diversions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: January 10, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

Honestly, if you're going to a game in the same style and scope as the Endless RTD (intended), I think you should leave it as open as possible. After all, the point of the Endless RTD was merely to be a sequence of (mini) RTD's with the group of one RTD continuing to another.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: January 10, 2014, 08:33:59 am »

So may someone necro the endless RTD? :>

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: January 10, 2014, 08:36:59 am »

You may. If you keep the group.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:32 am »

You may. If you keep the group.

I second this, for no particular reason. Tremendous idea.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:31 am »

I'm not sure if I'd have the time, but I do want to run my scenario sometime. Would just need to retcon the clusterfuck Gatleos was hellbent on making the loose canon and the tone of the game by the end. Plus I'd rather scrap or tweak the system that was being used for my bit - I always thought there was no reason people couldn't change up systems, within reason and converting the players, when they took over.

EDIT: Although it'd better to start over, new thread, new concepts, new everything, than to try to just continue.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:40:01 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:39 am »

I'm not sure if I'd have the time, but I do want to run my scenario sometime. Would just need to retcon the clusterfuck Gatleos was hellbent on making the loose canon and the tone of the game by the end. Plus I'd rather scrap or tweak the system that was being used for my bit - I always thought there was no reason people couldn't change up systems, within reason and converting the players, when they took over.

EDIT: Although it'd better to start over, new thread, new concepts, new everything, than to try to just continue.

I don't recall an issue with the tone of the game.

Hoho.

Anyway, I don't think it'd be better to start over.

Hoho.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:12 am »

Err. Yes. Tone isn't quite correct. But I sure as hell wasn't pleased with unplanned hijacking of the plot by a crossover with a twisted version of the lawasverse. That he refused to cooperate and communicate after that did not help matters.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:17 am »

a twisted version of the lawasverse.

It was repulsive. Some people were even dressed.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »

Themes. That's a good place to rerail if one GM is being too 'ridiculous'. :P

The setting's organized lifeforms conform to most governments we have in the 21st century: Democracy, Absolute Monarchy, Dictatorship, etc...While despotic styles of government or nation-states exist, most of sentient life prefer organization through governance of a small party or a network of communities. Of the multiple and major lifeforms, there exist various minorities within some civilizations that, while differences are not apparent, there exists to some levels a discriminatory boundary between minorities in order to segregate labor and profession--how these people are seen as a generality and to society; the opposite is seen in the minor lifeforms wherein individualism is valued just as much as the collective goal and mind: both these mindsets conform to both organic and artificial life.

Now this makes better sense! :D

god i want an entire thread for this. Tomorrow I'll do the full write, so jump in before then!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:15 pm »

Do you mean you're making the RTD? If so, I'm reserving a spot.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: January 10, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »

I'd love to, but no. I've promised myself I'm only running very simple stuff until i can automate the calculations for other stuff.

A "Many Madmen Make a... MSetting!" or something. Someone posts with what they want, anything from "free reign- victorian dinosaur romance is totally ok" to "i want to do something steam-punky, but i don't have the details", a color that isn't currently being used, and a number of entries they want. People add whatever the hell they feel like. People can write a final draft of any result or mix and match, but it's good form to deliver on something you asked for, even if it's just tying everything together.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 661