Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699517 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7785 on: February 24, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »

Work continues. Sort of. My visions of airborne mecha-musume girls (it's what happens when you mix Strike Witches, Armored Core, and Kill la Kill) requires systems, though, and I'm not good at getting something satisfying.

I really like 4d3-8 but that's really difficult to use for combat. I don't have any idea how to wrangle what I want into these rolls, and will probably need help. I like systems and all, but armor -always- fucks things up for me.

All the potential parts have, at the very least, a Weight, Weight Tolerance, AP, and three Armor values.
Weight is how heavy a part is. If this exceeds Weight Tolerance, you cannot take off and landing has a 50% chance of causing a stage of crash-land damage.

AP boosts Health of a unit, but mostly serves as armor. A Witch has exceptional ability to take punishment, however, once the armor is breached it's easier just to flee rather than risk more permanent injury.

The three different armor values should be resistances to the three types of damage. KE (Kinetic), CE (Chemical), and TE (Thermal).

They may have other devices and the like attached as well.

Theoretically, let's say I had a witch with the FC-01 Harpy leg unit. It has a set of Flash rockets (low chance to hit, heavy reduction to accuracy for a turn if they do) as well as cargo space for an extra weapon or item. It's fairly large, weighing in at 4 and able to land with up to 9 points in weight. It's armor is good against Kinetic weapons, average against CE, and weak to the extreme vs. TE weapons.

On a 4d3-8 system, Flash Rockets hit at 2 and above (the actual result is anywhere from -4 to 4). For accuracy, this system is a bit limiting... I can just use a d20 and have evasion chances on the legs, or maybe duelling d20s where legs can add or subtract and weapons can too (a very accurate rifle might have +12, so that dodging is only possible for the very lucky or very quick)

But then, there's damage...  Damage isn't going to be fun, at all. I can't wrap my head around how other systems do it, at all. The breakdown:
Damage will almost always be fixed, and magic can increase damage. For every point of magic used, the highest natural damage gets +3 and the lowest gets -1, so a weapon doing 16 damage now does 15-19.
Shots fired is also important. Most of the time, this is done with two damage rates, one being very high (as if all bullets hit).
Resistance should be able to help very heavily. Say the average human has like 6HP. Witches get 10HP. Light armor shouldn't really be below 6, but it might happen...

I just don't know how to keep this working. Accuracy is the only roll made right now. Maybe that will work? We'll see.

We might also see a combat test surface soon.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7786 on: February 24, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

Work continues. Sort of. My visions of airborne mecha-musume girls (it's what happens when you mix Strike Witches, Armored Core, and Kill la Kill) requires systems, though, and I'm not good at getting something satisfying.

I really like 4d3-8 but that's really difficult to use for combat. I don't have any idea how to wrangle what I want into these rolls, and will probably need help. I like systems and all, but armor -always- fucks things up for me.
Systems tend to be one of my specialties, so maybe I could take a look.

Though I'm still waiting on your analysis of my thing. D:<

Theoretically, let's say I had a witch with the FC-01 Harpy leg unit. It has a set of Flash rockets (low chance to hit, heavy reduction to accuracy for a turn if they do) as well as cargo space for an extra weapon or item. It's fairly large, weighing in at 4 and able to land with up to 9 points in weight. It's armor is good against Kinetic weapons, average against CE, and weak to the extreme vs. TE weapons.
Just out of curiosity, what's the point of weighing 4 and carrying 9? Will there be arm units with a capacity of 3, meaning you can't use them properly with this part?

On a 4d3-8 system, Flash Rockets hit at 2 and above (the actual result is anywhere from -4 to 4). For accuracy, this system is a bit limiting... I can just use a d20 and have evasion chances on the legs, or maybe duelling d20s where legs can add or subtract and weapons can too (a very accurate rifle might have +12, so that dodging is only possible for the very lucky or very quick)

But then, there's damage...  Damage isn't going to be fun, at all. I can't wrap my head around how other systems do it, at all. The breakdown:
Damage will almost always be fixed, and magic can increase damage. For every point of magic used, the highest natural damage gets +3 and the lowest gets -1, so a weapon doing 16 damage now does 15-19.
Shots fired is also important. Most of the time, this is done with two damage rates, one being very high (as if all bullets hit).
Resistance should be able to help very heavily. Say the average human has like 6HP. Witches get 10HP. Light armor shouldn't really be below 6, but it might happen...

I just don't know how to keep this working. Accuracy is the only roll made right now. Maybe that will work? We'll see.

We might also see a combat test surface soon.
I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. Is it the actual values you're not sure of, or what?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »

Your stuff looks amazing, I'm just not fully through the document yet. Only suggestion I can think of is teleportation magic, or time-manipulation magic- make wood rot away quickly type of thing, not able to stop the flow of time but alter how quickly or slowly it affects something. Teleportation... is just a magic thing.

I think I'll do duelling d20s with mods, I think it fits pretty well, and testing can break it and reshape it like one of those bowls they mend with precious metal- the shattered lines make it better overall.

There are other locations to have weapons and Strike Gears. The weight mostly affects "can I hold this giant, fuck-off sniper cannon or not", and even then, it's more "can I take off and land with this giant, fuck-off sniper cannon or not". Creative players will realize that weight is not tied to the witch in flight in any way except evasion reductions.

I typed it and the d20 mod system came up as I did. The system for damage and reductions being entirely fixed might not be so good, and resists may shift to percentages. Maybe.

Right now I have these possible categories for legs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bold entries are types that may be used singly in a leg- non-bold types are not able to be used as the only type in a leg. Each class has different abilities, such as integrated weapons. For instance, reserve magazines are available to Fighters and some other types, but wouldn't be to plain Electronic Warfare units.

This list might shrink, a lot. I'll have at least 10 entries for A-F as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I still haven't done magic at all.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Things have changed.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:49 am »

For an RTD, would a graveyard with the PC's and a small story of why and how they died be... ehh.. of interest for the guys in the RTD or anyone reading it?
Durrr..

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: February 25, 2014, 07:21:04 am »

Oh yes it's always nice to read how people die. In games.

I did something similar but in just a sentence in a game before:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94754.msg2682015#msg2682015

Gosh, have a sudden fit of nostalgia.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: February 25, 2014, 10:40:14 am »

For an RTD, would a graveyard with the PC's and a small story of why and how they died be... ehh.. of interest for the guys in the RTD or anyone reading it?

I have a graveyard in LBAD, even though the cause of death there is mostly "got separated from the others, went somewhere ridiculous, got eaten", with the second most popular being that, except "murdered" instead of "eaten".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:45:18 am by Harry Baldman »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7792 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:28 am »

CIRCLE OF DOOM
All the players play as their deceased characters from existing forum games.

CAMEO ARENA
Everyone is someone a character from popular video game culture.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:38 pm »

Each bolded category will reach into a fifth iteration of their type before testing begins. I'll also allow early-testing of the Workshop, which goes as follows:

The Workshop allows a Witch to attempt to produce a new Strike Unit with minimal need for engineering knowledge.

First, one or two leg types are chosen. In some cases three may be used, but this requires authorization.
Secondly, at least one parameter is set, and no more than five are set. The more parameters are set, the less chance a functional leg comes about.

For instance-
I ask for a Cargo/Stealth mix, with 10 or more AP and a specific shield.
"Loose" parameters reduce success chance by 10%, hard limits reduce by 20%, having less than three parameters increases chance by 15%. The resulting leg has a 85% chance of coming out correctly and 15% chance of not working out and failing in the design stage, where you may try again at a higher success rate. This can only be used so much between missions.

The workshop can also create new systems and weapons, which can then possibly be built into units.

---

Not fully done with the list, as there will also be at least 15 combo legs ready. While the tests run, I'll either do the remaining units for higher-level witches, or the magic abilities and trees.

Witch stats are a little up in the air right now, but I think I'll have a general MP stat, regen stat, and "school" stats.
A Witch is only ever able to practice within a single school, however, these stats will give discounts for specific actions. Regen is stupid slow, and tops at maybe 1MP/2 turns.
MP is the most important, methinks.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

The legs are at a point where they're testable.

Three things will be craftable during the test:
Leg Units: Base units of a Strike Gear.
Attachable Units: Certain parts can equip extra units... but only one exists, so this is here
Weapons: Because we need them. Always.

Now I need to do the weapons, the magic types/trees, and get a test going...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: February 25, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »

I'd need a way to watch at least the first episode(s) or so of the shows this is based on before I'd do any testing, because I'd want to know more about the intended balance levels; if it weren't based on anything, I'd volunteer to test right away.
Strike witches is going to be... hard to locate, I've already looked once.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »

I'd need a way to watch at least the first episode(s) or so of the shows this is based on before I'd do any testing, because I'd want to know more about the intended balance levels; if it weren't based on anything, I'd volunteer to test right away.

Based on the show conceptually, not in practice. There's a bunch of other things in the melting pot too, and deep knowledge of Strike Witches is in no way required. I haven't seen a full episode either. You don't need Armored Core lore, because it dosen't exist again, concept design elements instead of hard-copy engine details. Kill la Kill's influence would be nearly impossible to determine if I didn't draw attention to "look, I copied the star system!", because that's the biggest thing, other than the Witches' survivability being higher than a regular human. The other influences are minute.

What you need to know, exactly, to understand the system:
1. Magic fuels the Strike Gears. They require skin contact. Witches don't wear pants.
2. Men don't have enough magic. One-Star witches are easy enough to find, the others are rarer and therefore much more valuable.
3. Stars are based on how much mana a witch has, and little else.

That's about it. The first battle test will allow you choose a witch type (as character creation isn't done yet) as well as choose/request a leg unit and weapon.

Weapons are testable now. I can actually give you a mock combat scenario...

Spoiler: In this corner... (click to show/hide)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: February 26, 2014, 12:31:49 am »

So I got bored one day, and decided to start creating a system for the "oh god what how does that even work" that is Resonance of Fates gun customization system.

There's a good few things I haven't done the effects of, but would you like me to post the result that happened after I screwed around with the system? It'll be images, and of rather horrible quality, but it should get the point across.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

Bad times ahead. Maybe no internet. Maybe no home.

I do what I can, because I must. The moment I stop moving is the moment I fall back to Earth.

Work continues. Adjusting AP levels and the magic engine are up first, before the remaining Strike Gears for arms and torso. AP levels will be adjusted based on type, average gain is double.

I might be releasing what I have unfinished should I run out of fuel before reaching escape velocity.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: February 26, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »

Bad times ahead. Maybe no internet. Maybe no home.
D:

Good luck...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 661