Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699458 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Is that a metaphor, or have I missed some major event in the last few months.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Aye-yi-yi-yi.

How do you people cope with making new games. I can barely scratch together enough ideas to get my hopes up only to have to discard them all because I don't haave enough to make a coherent thing.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Aye-yi-yi-yi.

How do you people cope with making new games. I can barely scratch together enough ideas to get my hopes up only to have to discard them all because I don't haave enough to make a coherent thing.
Take inspiration from other RtD's?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Take an interesting idea from this thread. I mean, that was what it was made for, you know.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Take inspiration from other RtD's?
Take an interesting idea from this thread. I mean, that was what it was made for, you know.
That goes against my neuroses.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Aye-yi-yi-yi.

Well, what kinds of ideas? What parts aren't you scratching together enough stuff for?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plot? Setting? Rules beyond the vanilla 1d6 set?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

General rule: take a commonly accepted game mechanic from video/forum games in your desired genre and make it even more ridiculous.

This is how inspiration works.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

* Darvi points at reply #7852.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You must slay your neuroses. They are mental dragons hoarding all your past good ideas in a cave somewhere off Mt Hypothalamus.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Plot? Setting?
I'm not much for plot as such, but plot and setting tend to come with the basic game idea for me. And since basic game ideas claw at me constantly like the clinging souls of the damned they're usually pretty easy to get.

Rules beyond the vanilla 1d6 set?
This one's trickier. My solution to it is to realize the current system doesn't do what I want it to or does something I don't want it to, start thinking about possible solutions to that, run with those until I realize they don't work or I don't like them or are hideously complex, and then get distracted with an entirely different project.

As for what you should try, it really does depend on what you want. I find other games, forum or video, can be very, very handy inspirations. Other media can also give less formally defined systems, where you see something you like or don't like and start to consider what kind of a system that'd be. For original creations or deciding what you want to steal, I tend to find thinking about what you want to happen or not happen can be handy, then working the system into that.

That's kind of vague, but I could probably supply examples if you wanted. A lot of it, as far as I've been able to tell, does just boil down to working on it long enough to figure it out properly. Also motivation.

General rule: take a commonly accepted game mechanic from video/forum games in your desired genre and make it even more ridiculous.

This is how inspiration works.
I was not aware of this. Hit points are now a fluid you beat out of foes or refill. Makes after-battle scavenging interesting.

Now I actually want to make this game. FFS is clearly a professor.

* Darvi points at reply #7852.
Steal harder scrub. Really though, if you won't steal, where are you willing to get your materials?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Rules beyond the vanilla 1d6 set?
Start with the vanilla rules. Adjust them every time you think it's nessecairy. If your players figure out the system, you're clearly not doing a decent job.

((Not actually good advice))
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 661