Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702641 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I think there's been a few games like this, and none really went anywhere before dying off. Still, might be a worthwhile idea depending on what's done with it.
It's an idea I've proposed either here or in the old irc before. Also the premise of my first RTD, but that went in a... different direction.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

It's an idea I've proposed either here or in the old irc before. Also the premise of my first RTD, but that went in a... different direction.

I assume you mean RTRTD, and yes, that thought did strike me as I considered the idea, but the important difference between this game idea and RTRTD is the fact that there's not much to really do in the real world that doesn't critically disrupt one's ability to play a game with miniatures, though that could be a mechanic of sorts, I suppose. It'd probably be more fun if one stuck to one interesting world rather than one that's interesting and another that's chiefly an obstacle, though it's all in the handling of it, I guess.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

So, I had this idea for an RTD to do with Kirby, and the Star Warriors in general for a while now. It's just been sitting ther at the back of my head, waiting for me to develop it. Got any suggestions on what I should change, add, remove etc.?
This is not minimalist. You can only do what is normal, and what is within the limits of your power. So a player who has decide on the original Copy Ability cannot just start controlling time while in Spark form.Most actions take ordinary 1d6 rolls, although some mundane actions such as walking do not need rolls, unless it is on Difficult Terrain. I haven't got much of a plot planned out, and I still haven't figured out how to do combat, even if I've decided on a HP system, if only to make determining damage easier. Here is the Char Sheet;
Name: Your character's name
Age: This will determine how well your character can talk
HP: This will be detemined by me
Ability: A name and short description of your special ability.
Goal: What is your in-game goal; what do you want to achieve? This is partially for RP purposes and partially for plot.
Bio: A short history of your character.
Appearance: What does your character look like. Keep in mind that they are all puffballs.

HP and damage is currently the only stat that's in any way certain, although I've developed ideas about speed too.
Abilities are basically things like Copy, Time Manipulation and so forth. Try not to go completely overpowered though.
There are 2 variants of Copy that are official, but feel free to make up your own. They are Release version and Hold version. Release releases any copy ability in the form of a slow bouncing star in exchange for halving damage. Hold forces you to hake full brunt if the damage, but you get to keep your copy ability.
So, any ideas?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't think I got an answer on this before, so I'm gonna ask it again. Would anyone here be interested in an rtd inspired completely ripped off of Problem Sleuth? For those unfamiliar, it was the comic made before Homestuck, and it basically starts with you trapped in your office, having to do tons of increasingly ridiculous puzzles to escape from it. Also it ends up parodying a number of RPG/text adventure mechanics. I've more or less got the basic framework complete, but I feel like someone else would be better at the puzzle designing aspect. The usual problem of basing random office creation off the seed of a char sheet submission still seems suspect though. I might just drop that part honestly if I end up being the one that runs it.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you need someone to design weird puzzle shit?

give me a background and i will give you weird puzzle shit.

god help your players, for i will not.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Kirby RTD
Problem Sleuth
OLAWDY yes.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

That's a combination I could get behind. Kirby Sleuth.  8)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose I'll just basically copy paste what I have on file for the most part. Here be spoilers.
Spoiler: Stats/Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Concepts (click to show/hide)
I have a sort of pool of objects and interact-able things I can use if I wanted to randomize things, but honestly I think I'd rather custom design the offices by hand now that I think about it further. I am running a single player version with a friend of mine as a sort of test, but that's sort of an on and off thing and they haven't gotten too far.

So, thoughts? Also I would totally take you up on that offer Slowpoke, but I don't trust myself to run something this awesome yet.

Edit: I should probably explain windows for those who don't know. In the problem sleuth universe, there exists windows that act as portals to the outside, but only when they are powered. I've considered making it so that changing where the window is plugged in changes the where the exit is too, since by default problem sleuth's window can't be exited safely, and pickle inspector's is a skylight for example. More potential places you can be means more potential puzzles and such.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:31:50 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I'm sure someone suggested a Sburb RTD at some point... oh right, it was the very first reply to this thread. And Derm precluded its existence through a temporal paradox. Thanks a lot, Derm.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Any time, Gat.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I may have some... semi-secret plans.... to that effect. Just ask Derm.
I'm 40% ready to reveal what I have. I am ready to reveal to the general public that I'm prepping it.

...still looking for 2 girls to fill the last 2 slots.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Kirby RTD
Would totally down for that one.

Some random ideas fermenting in my head

1. Roll to hell. Start in a normal city, the forces of hell invade and you're forced to travel and fight through the circles of hell, perhaps to retrieve your soul or the soul of a loved one? Character creation involves taking one one of the seven deadly sins, each with its own specific buff and debuff. (Based of Dante's inferno)

2. Evil Genius RTD, not sure if it's more suited for a multiplayer RTD or suggestion game, as a disillusioned, maniacal, extremely rich megalomaniac, build a secret evil base, hire powerful henchmen and cannon fodder minions. Then take on the stupid forces of justice, loot their precious treasures and eventually develop a super weapon that can hold the world hostage!(based off the PC game of the same name)

3. Killer Queen. 13 players wake up in an abandoned warehouse/ random location with nothing but a PDA and an explosive collar. Each of the 13 PDAs has a different objective to fulfill before a certain time limit lest the collar activate, from kill all the players to specifically killing the owner of PDA X to collecting five inactivated collars etc. Those who manage to live till the end win. Again, not sure how it would work.  (Based off the PC/PSP game of the same name)

Grateful for any feedback. Also. Random Loot killfest still in the works.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:41:08 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

So...
Any ideas oh how I should do combat here?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Since you're doing an HP based system with d6, perhaps you should assign a range of damage to attacks and then roll for them?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Since you're doing an HP based system with d6, perhaps you should assign a range of damage to attacks and then roll for them?
That could work, I suppose. Any other ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 661