Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702532 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

My question is whatever happened to the hall of fame?
Sky stoped updating it since she doesn't really frequent the Forum Games section anymore and Tiruin started a new thread for it some months ago, but just kinda stopped working on it for no reason. If you want her to actually update that, go bug her on IRC or something :V
woo irc its kinda sad that so many people dont use irc nowdays its still a vital part of the internet

Periods, capital letters, and apostrophes are truly fascinating inventions. Don't be shy about using them, even for the most everyday activities. Their style is quite timeless and, I assure you, will not make you appear gauche, garish, or gaudy.

They will also prevent Blitz and myself from killing you in a fit of apoplectic rage.

Sorry.
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

There's nothing to be sorry about.

I am, however, curious. Why do you think IRC is a vital part of the internet?

EDIT: I refer to IRC in its current incarnation, not the concept of relay chat in general.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess because of its potential.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to run something akin to "Everyone is a console-tan!"

Or, more correctly, the players have to make decisions based on semirandom market fluctuations and survive the longest.

STAGE I-
Stage 1 is development of a console and their release. Being first will boost sales, but being better will quickly sway undecided people. You'll have to make an announcement for when you intend to release, done after the first of your Dev Points are rolled up:
1. You get 6 Dev Points, +1d6. You then choose a release month, and get +1 Dev point for every month that passes as well as an extra d6 for every three months. If the game starts at Jan 2013, releasing at Dec 2013 would get you 6+11+3d6 Dev Points to put into stats. Note that your release month awards no dev points and does not count as a month for calculations, so Jan 2014 would give an extra 1d6+1, but you'd miss potential holiday sales. By the same token, releasing in such a short time-frame to those holidays can also hurt you if you can't get a running start.

I'm considering a bunch of stats: Processing, Graphics, Audio, Ease Of Use, Ease Of Programming, and a bunch of other factors, at least 8-12. Some stats will work against you- if you put lots of points into Ease of Programming, game quality might fluctuate wildly, and pirates may be able to crack code very easily unless you also beef up Security.

STAGE II: Secure Games
You'll be fighting as soon as you're out of the gate to secure titles for your console. Multi-platform games are great work-horses and generate money for everyone, but different developers handle things in different ways and it may be much better to befriend them and gain exclusivity.

People buy consoles based on what they want- even if you have the best overall stats, a percentage of people will still go after another console for a stat that's higher. Unless none of their stats are higher, and then, they're surely going to die out, right?

Wrong. With enough convincing and proving, they may secure exclusive content, or they may fill the market in a way no one else does (Pulling a Nintendo, in a way). If they can't manage that, however... they're headed for the scrap heap.

You'll also have to read market trends (for instance, if a genre is extremely popular, it's going to push units quickly especially if it's exclusive, but getting it exclusive is very difficult and requires a tight bond. You're also pretty safe in this genre, because it will telegraph any potential falls ahead of time. Genres follow this ranking:
"Dead", "Niche", "Risky", "Normal", "Surging", "Popular", "Very Popular", and "Extremely Popular."

Basically it's a randomized version of Video Game Tycoon where the players are anthropomorphized consoles that don't actually exist. 
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

So Neptunia meets Game Dev Tycoon?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be interesting, though could eventually get boring.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

It would need some heavy fleshing out, especially keeping the market in check and such.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sounds fun but alev is right it might get boring after a while

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

I think it needs more things involving the anthropomorphism part of it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it needs more things involving the anthropomorphism part of it.
you could develop a R.O.B like accessory for yours

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile

Game Idea. I'd like to run it, but I feel its to ambitious to me and I wouldn't be able to properly type up GM reports because my ps3 only handles so much text at once.

META: Superhero Deathmatch. You are a meta, the most powerful being of your universe. There are many universes though, and some have a meta of their own. Due to the power of the meta, the omniverse is under constant stress, and will ultimate be crushed under it, and die. This causes many harmful effects, which is rolled every 1/5 turns. Metas have many different powers, with 2 constants across all meta, immortality, and travel across universes.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

It's always fun when you post an action in an RTD, and shortly afterwards realise you missed something rather obvious that could have made your character's life rather easier. Oh well. :P

Also I'm thinking of starting up a new RTD, not a throwaway minimalist this time.
Haven't quite decided what it's going to be, yet. I have a couple of ideas I'm mulling over, and then of course there's the rather daunting "Alien Jurassic Park" idea I had a while back which received a fair bit of interest. Hmmmm.
It's 4AM and I have energy drink in the fridge by the way, so who knows we might just see a miracle occur. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

The spinning idea strikes the Draignean in the time! Draignean's time goes flying off in an arc!

Anyway, this is one of the things I slammed out while inspired by my earlier Ten Races (Do a search for Mutei in this thread if you want to look at that one) mixed with fresh and random material. The below is the most comprehensible of the things I wrote. The others are ravings on how culture, migration patterns, evolution, the sky, plants, and wind would work in the described situation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:17:21 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The spinning idea strikes the Draignean in the time! Draignean's time goes flying off in an arc!

Anyway, this is one of the things I slammed out while inspired by my earlier Ten Races (Do a search for Mutei in this thread if you want to look at that one) mixed with fresh and random material. The below is the most comprehensible of the things I wrote. The others are ravings on how culture, migration patterns, evolution, the sky, plants, and wind would work in the described situation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interesting. The Lampaedus entry is missing, though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:29:22 pm by Alev »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking at an old idea and think it could have potential. Here goes;

:::ELYSIUM:::
-The Battleground of A Thousand Gods-

The Gods of Elysium rule their strongholds and towers across the vast red plains of Elysium, ever-squabbling and fighting among themselves. To those they serve, they are divine, possessed of impossible power; but to a more advanced eye, they are simply a breed of transhuman, their power maintained by powerful technology. In the end, it comes to the same. These gods command vast armies and champions to go across the land, battling eachother and protecting the peasantry, when they bother. Gene-grafted champions, vat-grown and blindly loyal, sacrifice and dedicate their acts to their patrons for further favors and rewards. Servants gifted with divine technology roam the land doing their bidding. Great machine- and flesh-beasts and monsters are unleashed by intention or accident.

Lately, others have taken an interest in this strange world. It is evident truth Elysium is the center of the universe, the only home of mankind and other races - but it appears there may be further universes. The barriers of reality are weakening; some whisper of an Abomination, a devourer of worlds... but that is all far away. Still, it is clear the people of other worlds are coming to Elysium, with their own plots and machinations that may threaten the power of the gods.

A shaky alliance of divinities has called together their champions and servants to fulfill their bidding. They are sent out, gifted with a mighty Myrmidon to carry them, to fight, investigate and honor the gods wherever they go. The red wastes are dangerous, especially now, and the gods make poor allies for eachother. Should they serve well, they will be rewarded; but they may just as well soon be bones and dust to be swallowed up by the earth.

---

Spoiler: So? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System (click to show/hide)

Any interest, questions, comments? The system explanation I linked above is part of a test that actually seems to be set on Elysium. I didn't remember that. It's just scenery dressing there, mind you.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 661