Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699470 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

roll to gm was one of the first minimalists here

spiderman must be final boss

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Eh... I don't think that Roll to GM is a good idea. What would define a 'great' GM? One who hasn't run many games but is very well-written like Draignean or Dwarmin? One who ran a few good games that died too quickly, like Monk12? Someone who ran a game that was really successful, like (I think Spinal_Taper, nothing against whoever did run it but I couldn't care less about minimalist RTDs and so can't be bothered to look up who's responsible) You At Final Boss? Or someone who just ran a whole bunch of RTDs that died quickly, regardless of quality? What about if they're still around in the RTD forum; should that be taken into account, or would it include people who stopped GMing a long time ago? Then you have the fact that some people would feel they should be included as one of the 'great GMs' if they're left out. It would just be a mess.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to agree with Serious there (I mean, what if they didn't include me? Outrage), though piecewise would be the final boss, no matter what. But anyway, Roll to Escape Roller's Block is better. GMs could sign up to play giant monster versions of themselves, even.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Well, it would really just be a popularity contest, and those are always fantastic for causing resentment and bad blood. 's all I'm saying. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed, the proper way to solve such a thing is a cage fight. A real, physical cage fight. We'll oil 'em up and dress 'em in wrestler outfits, and let God/the RNG sort out his own. Bay 12 Wrestling Federation, Mk II.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

I'd be down for a wrestling FG/RTD whether it's sports entertainment or Def Jam: Fight For New York style. :P

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Point taken. Anyway, in the case of a Wrestling match, I'd go with Def Jam. I always found that style a little more pleasing then WWE, though that may be just because Def Jam is one of my favorite wrestling games.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

DJ:FFNY is one of the greatest fighting games of all time; wish I still had a copy. I used to be good enough to get through it on hard from start to finish. Anyway, I was just using sports entertainment as a reference point. I was more of an Impact guy than WWE anyway, but since Impact is dead now I'm pretty much wrestle-less. >.<

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, there was an idea for a gizgoogle RTD... Maybe we can add that into the mix...

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok, got 2 people interested at least. Pick your 2 starting classes. Infantry or Calvary.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok, got 2 people interested at least. Pick your 2 starting classes. Infantry or Calvary.

You should probably create a test thread to gauge actual interest. Not everyone checks Roller's Block.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be down for a wrestling FG/RTD whether it's sports entertainment or Def Jam: Fight For New York style. :P
Point taken. Anyway, in the case of a Wrestling match, I'd go with Def Jam. I always found that style a little more pleasing then WWE, though that may be just because Def Jam is one of my favorite wrestling games.
DJ:FFNY is one of the greatest fighting games of all time; wish I still had a copy. I used to be good enough to get through it on hard from start to finish. Anyway, I was just using sports entertainment as a reference point. I was more of an Impact guy than WWE anyway, but since Impact is dead now I'm pretty much wrestle-less. >.<

Oww...Damn, y'all got me. Not you're fault of course, it just happened that I tried running a Wrestling/Def-Jam game in the general Forum Games section. I was really hyped, and so was everyone else. The issue, as is many times is that I like the set-up and the story and progression and layout and all that, but it when it came to the actual fighting and reward systems, I couldn't figure anything out.

I found out about that game waaayyy too late. I heard about it beforehand, but I assumed it was one of those "Gangstaploitation" games that came out around the mid-2000's, all those games that had soundtracks produced by rappers known only to a local Georgia town of 12,000, and the dialogue would always be, "YOOOOO WE DA REAL GANGSTAS OUT HERE WORD UP BITCH. MY HOMIE DAWG, WE GOTTA CRACK THESE BUSTAS WITH THESE UZIS AND AKS, FOOOOO REAL."

Then when I saw gameplay, I realized it was actually one of the most greatest and complex fighting/wrestling games ever about Ice-T slamming people's heads into walls and Snoop doing aerial headbutts. Now I don't even know where to find a copy, or if the game even works on the 360. Maaaan.....

That shit was so hype, I'd be willing to co-op with another GM or GMs if they wanted to pursue a Def-Jam style game, and create a much more in-depth and efficient system then I had working.

You know, there was an idea for a gizgoogle RTD... Maybe we can add that into the mix...

Diggin' it, cuz'.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder what would happen if it wasn't just rappers fighting... Not only cos then the players could choose what musician they want, you could also lead into a situation where Justin Bieber could be fighting Snoop Dog. Perhaps musical genres give different bonuses? I could see pop being really good at riling up the crowd and heavy metal having excellent Blazin' moves. There was actually a few non-rapper types in the game (Henry Rollins and Danny Trejo, looking at you). Then again, I might be overcomplicating things.

I'd be willing to co-Gm cos I actually have the game at home and am... crap at it, but I understand the rules of it.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder what would happen if it wasn't just rappers fighting... Not only cos then the players could choose what musician they want, you could also lead into a situation where Justin Bieber could be fighting Snoop Dog. Perhaps musical genres give different bonuses? I could see pop being really good at riling up the crowd and heavy metal having excellent Blazin' moves. There was actually a few non-rapper types in the game (Henry Rollins and Danny Trejo, looking at you). Then again, I might be overcomplicating things.

I'd be willing to co-Gm cos I actually have the game at home and am... crap at it, but I understand the rules of it.

That's a good idea and I really appreciate your insight. Maybe that was the problem with my game, as I believe it was with a few others; being entirely combat-oriented. Combat is fun definitely, but it seems the most successful games include a lot of other things to do.  I believe all my pure combat games are gone at this point, and all the ones that I am currently running are open-world games, allowing the players to explore and do what they want (within the rules and confines of the respective games, of course) making it more enjoyable for both them to play and myself to GM. One of my favorite RTD's ever was MonkeyHead's "Fight Club RTD". It didn't last long, but it was fucking raw while it lasted, and helped me form a lot of my ideas and concepts for GMing. The basis of the game was spreading quasi-anarchism around the city and getting resources for the Fight Club, and then at the end of a certain time period, holding a Fight Club Tournament where players would fight each other, testing what skills they had developed during the week. In between fights we did things like rob museums and Chuck Norris's house.

The idea regarding the genres is also fun, I could whip up a quick list of advantages (and possibly appropriate disadvantages as well) for each genre.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fight Club did seem quite amazing. Perhaps genres could be classes in the DnD sense, in that each one could be it's own (rather basic) game if you wanted? Rappers would be fighters, for instance, and a pure rapper game would be basically a fighting game. However, pop singers could be bards or clerics, and since you can have stuff like pop rap and pop rock, they would be a support class. I think that makes sense.

Combat, in my opinion, is like black pepper. Pepper is good on most things, sometimes amazing. But you have to make something to put it on: you can't make a meal out of pepper. And black pepper, despite it's greatness, is a pretty basic spice.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 661