Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566418 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »

I keep getting scrolls of oracle, and they are madly valuable, so i sell them. However I WANT to use them yet when i do all they do is give me a town and date. I don't see how this is useful to me at all unless it's telling me where to go to find an item I cannot afford.

Also, are artifacts things that are named? Or is it more complicated then that?

All a scroll of oracle does is read some plain text file that exists somewhere in the Elona directory.  Sell the scroll and just open the file if you need to know about generated artifacts.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »

but that's cheeeating

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:10 pm »

I cheeet all the time. Deal with it.

MAGIC ARROW.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2011, 08:01:27 pm »

Scrolls of oracle are valuable? They're only 2000gp each for selling them right? And you get a bunch at the puppy cave... Do not understand.  o.o

But in my latest elona game, I quit after I hit level twenty five. Props to anyone who has the patience to go over that, though.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:03:06 pm by Hyo »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

How much do you need to invest to get potions of descent? I'm getting regular PoPotentials at around ~60, but have never seen a PoDescent.

I'm still researching it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:16 pm »

Scrolls of oracle are valuable? They're only 2000gp each for selling them right? And you get a bunch at the puppy cave... Do not understand.  o.o

But in my latest elona game, I quit after I hit level twenty five. Props to anyone who has the patience to go over that, though.

It's 1200 last time I sold them and that's waaaaay more than other scrolls which are only around 200-300 gold.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:29 pm »

They also trade really well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

Scrolls are easy to carry around, and they stack. NPC adventurers love scrolls of oracles... you can trade their good items easily with a stack of scrolls of oracle. Stand next to the NPC adventurer, drop part of your stack. Then try to trade. If refused, pick some back up and try again.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »

How much do you need to invest to get potions of descent?
Just one player's opinion: I think the "don't level" advice is generally overstated. Yes, it's counterproductive to farm dungeons for levels, but so long as you train your character's stats and skills and gear up, it should never be necessary to deliberately avoid leveling.

You will benefit, however, from keeping your fame low in the early game. Low fame will prevent the unkillable bandit spawns, and it's easy to do: just look up the quest tpes on the wiki, identify the quests that can be failed to lose fame with no loss of karma, and every time you visit a town pick up every single one of these quests, and fail enough of them to keep your fame at zero for a while.

In the early game the harvest quests should do quite nicely. You won't be able to complete them, and picking vegetables trains a bunch of stats and skills, in particular consitution which is very convenient to have lots of. Just go through Yowyn every time you travel between Palmia and Vernis, do all these quests and you should be covered for quite some time.

Performance quests are also a good way to keep fame low. There's no other penalty for failling them, and if you have to have (or buy) performance skill, completeing these quests will eventually  become a good source of gold.

scrolls of oracle, and they are madly valuable, so i sell them. However I WANT to use them
I never found them to be useful. ID them and sell them, or stockpile and trade them to adventureers like kcwong is suggesting. Though personally I foudn potions of cure corruption to be better for that, though slightly less common at the early stages of the game.

are artifacts things that are named?
Yes.
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Artifact

Scrolls of oracle are valuable? They're only 2000gp each for selling them right?
Which is a lot of gold for a first time player with a new character and no performance skill or store.

General advice to any aspiring elona player: don't worry about dungeons for a while. Do delivery and harvest quests for platinum and to learn new skills. There are lots of skills that will benefit you that you probably didn't start with, and you'll need hundreds of platinum to learn them. Start early. If you simply do this, trade for adventurers for gear, and level from questing rather than dungeons, you'll rapidly get ahead of the difficulty curve that most players like to warn about.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:23 pm »

As far as early game income goes, SoO kicks ass. You can walk out of puppy cave with a weeks worth of income from quests in your pocket not burdening you down. Later on they don't scale that well, but still worth picking up!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »

Impure eyes are amazing.

So many good mutations.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »

About potions of descent: zombies can drop them on rare occasions.  Start a zombie ranch.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:27 pm »

About potions of descent: zombies can drop them on rare occasions.  Start a zombie ranch.

This game is so full of win.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31:05 am »

Oh, a shop can be nice to have, if only for selling stuff.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:54 am »

To clarify, I want the potions of descent so I can bottom out my pets before dumping gold on them for potentials training. The gold/skillstrained ratio scales steeply per level and I want to maximize my returns per gold spent. Rubynus quickling is going to be delicious once it has skill values over 10. (Fact: Quicklings can gain 4 levels in about five minutes of bashing on training dummies.)

I have two zombie ranches running, but the drop rate for potions of descent is too low for the ranches to be more effective than dumping gold into magic vendors.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 291