Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292637 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3390 on: November 01, 2014, 02:32:06 am »

Decided I was sick and tired of France besieging my cities on the mainland, and went on the offensive. My king and a large army of mostly infantry and longbowmen set sail from England and went straight for Paris, which was only lightly defended. Of course, the Frenchies would have none of that, and their largest army (that I know of) attacked along with the Parisian garrison, on opposite sides. I faced well over a thousand soldiers in all.

I positioned my army in a wooded area, counting on my troops hiding among the trees to land the first blow on a surprised enemy. Since longbows have ridiculous range, they were able to open fire before any of the attacking army could react. And because I had so many longbows, vast swaths of the French were dead in minutes. Their own pitiful archers got in range and tried to shoot back, but my casualties were acceptably light and soon the archers were routing. I diverted my attention to the Parisian garrison, which was slowly marching towards my rear. The Parisians had brought their faction heir along with a large number of crossbowmen, but few infantry. I had my king and a unit of Mailed Knights charge the French faction heir by themselves, retreating when French spearmen managed to join the fray and looping around to attack the crossbowmen. The faction heir decided to ignore my king and charge my longbowmen instead, only to be surprised by hidden English spearmen and get himself killed.

By this point, the main French army had finally managed to come to grips with my own army. It was a bloody, confusing mess, but with French dying everywhere and their leaders dead or fleeing the field my victory was inevitable. Less than 100 French soldiers escaped, and because Paris was virtually undefended it was captured without further fighting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: November 01, 2014, 02:36:42 am »

Marched my army across the map for about 20 minutes wiping out two bases that kept rebuilding somehow. Spent another 20 fortifying two chokepoints with insane numbers of turrets. Eventually, I discover that all I missed from the last purge was a Plasma Generator in one base, and a Webway Gate in another.

If that's the average size of your army, needs be you must look into Ultimate Apocalypse Mod. W40k is not W40k without unlimited amounts of troops.

That's not average, that's the maximum. Pop cap is 20 infantry/20 vehicles. Space and Assault Marines take 2 per squad, Terminators take 4. Dreadnoughts take 2 on the vehicle cap, Predators take 3, Land Raiders take 5.

Get Ultimate Apocalypse and quadruple that. Do it.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: November 01, 2014, 02:40:56 am »

@Sirus: I'm pretty sure you can't be excommunicated because of the aggressive actions of another faction. If France keeps sieging you, they'll get excommunicated and you can siege them right back. You may have to sit there an wait until either the French army attacks or raises the siege as I can't remember whether sallying forth is an aggressive action or not.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: November 01, 2014, 02:45:35 am »

I doubt France will get excommunicated, considering the Pope is French. I've had this problem before, when my enemy manages to take over the Catholic church and proceeds to use the power to screw with me the entire time. I mean, I've completed every mission the Papal States have given me and even went on a Crusade, but now the Church hates me the instant France (who REALLY hate me) gets in power.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: November 01, 2014, 03:02:48 am »

Playing the Pope game is a tiring one. Even though I don't remember exactly how it works, here's what I think.

The Pope doesn't really play sides. What I mean is; if you get a warning due to a war with another faction, the other side in the war also got a warning at the same time (He doesn't retain any loyalties to his previous faction, only giving that faction higher Pope-points). If you have low relation with the Pope that affects how quickly you'll get a warning if you engage in wars against another Christian faction. Fighting Christian factions lowers the Pope-points while completing the missions, gifting money and land and going on crusades increases points.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3395 on: November 01, 2014, 03:12:37 am »

My hero's speciality means that enemy spells have a slightly better than even chance of being reflected at their own army. I mirrored the strongest single-target damage spell in the game to their largest stack.

Heroes of Might and Magic V. This is possibly the longest time I've spent semi-exclusively playing one game, but I just realised I haven't actually sunk that many actual hours into it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

blazing glory

« Reply #3396 on: November 01, 2014, 05:02:52 am »

Well I was going to talk about lots and lots of advice on how to get out of the evil side of the Pope's favor but I realized that Sirus probably know's perfectly well about what direction he should go in order to get out of it and that I just like talking about Medieval II Total War.

Pretty sure I could go on for ages about my campaign and a few of my previous experiences.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:12 am »

What? No, I really don't. Please share.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:54 am »

Kill him.  You assasinate him, and then bribe the one who comes in.  20 gold for the first day!  Just dont get caught :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: November 01, 2014, 10:45:34 am »

Kill him.  You assasinate him, and then bribe the one who comes in.  20 gold for the first day!  Just dont get caught :P

Don't get caught? But I thought the Pope loved bribes!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: November 01, 2014, 11:07:49 am »

I think in most of my games, played around normal/hard difficulty, I've found that I could ignore the Pope for the most part after I solidified my border defences. Excommunication causes unhappiness but that can be fixed by increasing garrisons by a unit or 2 and I've never found the A.I to be terribly aggressive to the point of completely overwhelming. Direct neighbours may send armies to attack but empires further away tended to leave me alone. (playing as Holy Roman Empire and Kingdom of Denmark).

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: November 01, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »

No offence gents, but could you get the eu4 talk in to the eu4 thread?
@Sirus Sorry, I thought you were there for a minute :P

Totally owned on ARAM - a 10 min, clean 27-0 game.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:24:51 pm by FritzPL »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: November 01, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »

We aren't talking about any EU game, 4 or otherwise :P

blazing glory

« Reply #3403 on: November 01, 2014, 04:27:12 pm »

What? No, I really don't. Please share.

Alright, prepare for rambling.

As someone who has spent two thirds of his current game and quite a few others on the nasty side of the Popes favor, all you can really do is hunker down and have a LOT of patience, the best way to get out of this hole is to go on a crusade and win it, so be prepared for one when it comes, it will boost your favor to the medium area, you should also have a ton of priests, as that means there's a bigger chance one of them will get enough piety to be promoted to cardinal, which means more control over who get's to be Pope, send them to the east if you have to, focusing on making cathedrals will help a lot as well, if your still having trouble, well, you can always bribe him, send a diplomat 'round to the Papel States and make a bunch of diplomatic deals and gifts, though this will have less effect then other actions.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: November 01, 2014, 11:12:36 pm »

After roughly a week, I achieved 100% in-game completion of SR4. All activities, quests collectables, DLC, etc. complete.

I'm also somewhat proud that it took less than 40 hours, so I'm still missing one 'gimme' achievement. Speed completion ahoy!
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 709