Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292708 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7860 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:18 pm »

It would be so much easier to have large populations and other interesting and immersive features if they upgraded to ascii art. :D
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: August 09, 2017, 02:25:08 pm »

It'd be kind of interesting to have to play an FPS with that level of graphics though...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: August 09, 2017, 05:15:19 pm »

Had to build a city from scratch as a bulwark against Carthage's push across the Alps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tried this one again, with the big change being that I put an extra warehouse and the swordmaker's shop right next to the iron mines. This nearly tripled my recruiting rate. My previous mistake was the assumption that someone had to take the finished swords from the from the warehouse to the fort to train a soldier. I was wrong. Instead, every few seconds, a sword will magically disappear from the warehouse, and a fully trained Roman legionnaire will phase into existence at the fort(located wholly on the opposite side of the city), ready for battle. Not discipline and drilling, but sorcery was the secret to Rome's military power, and has been quite an effective counter to Hannibal's hordes of zombified elephants.

I haven't yet finished out the mission, but right now I've got a full legion and another getting ready. And while in the last attempt I was so broke I had to beg the Senate for a loan(if done twice, you fail), now I'm sitting on so much denarii that I don't really have a use for it.

Imperial Guard supporting a force of White Scars(or, judging by their weapon use and speed of attack, Imperial Fists dressed as White Scars), against an unholy union of Orks and Chaos(Emp's Children). I start on the NE side, White Scars are NW, Orks are SW, Chaos are SE. Map had two bridges on the east and west sides. I start by throwing out conscripts to capture the points around my base, then push to the east bridge. The Scars' scout marines get pushed off capturing a relic on the west bridge by some Gretchins, and I move in slap the Gretchins while taking the relic for myself. Dick move, but if those aspiring to be mighty Space Marines are so afraid of Gretchins to abandon a holy relic of the Emperor, well then, screw that, it's mine.

Somehow, the Gretchins build several Waagh! banners just outside of LoS from the relic, but by the time it became a problem, I had Hellhounds to flatten them. In the meantime, I had fortified the east bridge with several proper Guardsmen and heavy weapon teams, but they were never challenged. Maybe because there were so many Guardsmen on the bridge that it broke pathfinding across. All the fighting took place on the west bridge. Shortly after pushing across, Chaos contrivances wiped out all the infantry, and all but one of the Hellhounds(reinforced by Leman Russes which survived). By that point, I had researched the upgrade that makes Conscript squads free(except reinforcing) and ups their max squad size to 30. I also built two HQs on the north end to pump out endless waves of conscripts.

Hundreds of conscripts, backed by several Leman Russ tanks and three Kasrkin squads, backed again by the White Scars who finally got off their asses to actually attack, charged forth. The Ork base, with every building lined with guns and not lacking for targets, fired wildly(only setting on an Ork gun), but could not hold back the charge. Their ramshackle structures caved as tank rounds and flashlight burns tore through them. The Emperor's Children legion was too busy looking at themselves in their mirrors to help, unable to realize they were next. Caught unawares, their horrid temples to Slaanesh were swiftly burned to the ground along with their worshipers. The day was won, the Imperial Guard held the line.

IG casualties: over 300.
White Scars casualties: 104. I really hope most of those were useless things like servitors. Otherwise, that is just sad.
Ork casualties: over 500. Mostly Gretchins.
Chaos casualties: over 200. Mostly cultists, but there were a lot of CSMs in there.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:25:16 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:16 am »

It'd be kind of interesting to have to play an FPS with that level of graphics though...

Not like it hasn't been done before.

Or done in a more literal way (though I've never heard about it before this last Google search, whereas there was a fairly lengthy thread for DoomRL on the forums here I believe).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: August 10, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

Finally designed a battleship that doesn't flip over or try to transform into a (usually temporary) submarine when it turns. It does more of a powerslide. Also, its main guns throw it sideways by about 50 meters every time it fires(it remains upright though).
Spoiler: It basically does this (click to show/hide)

Other features include tens of thousands of units of power from a hybrid steam/electric/fuel engine(actually just three separate engine compartments), with the fuel engine achieving a full RPM fuel efficiency of 130-132 power per fuel, and a top speed of (currently) 9.6m/s. The cannons are 3.9m long APHE shells that shred armor - one test salvo one-shotted a OW Bastion(referred to as a Castle-Ship for its heavy armor) by punching through and gutting its AI core.

It's not actually finished yet. I still have tons of space to put more weapons.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:56 am »

Using nothing but a single MC80 and a pair of CR90's, as well as a ground based ion cannon, I managed to defeat: 2 ISD II's, 9 Carracks, 11 Lancer Frigates, 2 Modular Taskforce frigates, 1 Venator, and 5 Immobilizer ISD's. Ackbar would be proud.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: August 11, 2017, 09:38:08 am »

Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: August 11, 2017, 10:30:44 am »

Technically the name isn't required, in this thread :P
I think it's Star Wars:  Empire At War, probably with a mod. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: August 11, 2017, 10:31:40 am »

holds meteor up to your temple
Black lives matter.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »

Technically the name isn't required, in this thread :P
I think it's Star Wars:  Empire At War, probably with a mod.
Well, I mean, technically, yes, the meteors are enforced in the "Die" thread, and not technically required in this thread, but still, common courtesy...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: August 11, 2017, 08:49:15 pm »

After a failed start, partly due to similar reasons for the previous missions first failure(bad resource flow), I started again. While the pre-mission hints said fishing was the better choice over goats for food, it was not. Not helping was the fact that all the wood was on the opposite side of the map from the shore, making building fishing boats hard. Also not helping was a total lack of iron on the map, forcing me to use wood for javelins.

Also really not helping was the fact that the only source of fresh water was a river on the other opposite side of the map, forcing me to wait for Mosaic Working to finish researching, which makes several thousand denarii's worth of aqueduct construction cost nothing. This is probably the single most powerful tech to research, as the cost - plus the costs of its very useful prerequisites which give +10% tax income, faster road speed, and free piazzias(which hold music performances) - is around 750 denarii, while the cistern that's at the end of the aqueduct system is by itself 1000 denarii. The second-most important tech is Concrete, which makes roads(4 denarii per small tile) free while costing 250 denarii itself(and has Mosaic Working as its prerequisite). This is important for this mission in particular since the objective is money.

The first attempt failed because I built near the ocean, resulting in too slow wood income, forcing me to face a Carthaginian assault with about a dozen or so velites. Velites suck, especially against Carthaginian melee troops.

Second attempt, closer to the trees, and went with goats for meat. Naturally, this sped everything the hell up. By the time Carthage could throw anything worth anything at me, I had a full legion-strength and a half of velites. Also by that point, I had a prosperous and well-organized city, and raking in hundreds of denarii per month. The last assault actually slipped by my forces, because Carthage gives its soldiers and elephant hordes jetpacks, and damaged a significant portion of my outer town, coming dangerously close to my town center. However, bad positioning of their troops let me divide and pick them off, and shortly after the last one died, I also hit the objective amount of money.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:01 pm »

Well, I mean, technically, yes, the meteors are enforced in the "Die" thread, and not technically required in this thread, but still, common courtesy...
I'd actually like to know what mod it was, honestly.  I'm not into the game but my brother is, and it could even be a different game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: August 12, 2017, 03:18:01 am »

There were a few bits in Saints Row 4 where the game had an ascii shader run over the normal graphics.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: August 12, 2017, 10:04:00 am »

Maybe it was switching to 1280x720 FPS like I'd been doing with all my other games, but whatever happened, Dirty Bomb now runs at a framerate that does not suck.

Because of this I'm finally able to kill people and participate in the game proper.

Also, the playerbase no longer taunts the hell out of me after they destroy me, so there's that too.

EDIT: Other own:

Completed Stealing Xmas in under 15 minutes with all pubbies.

Shaped charges and Jack of All Trades can kick a surprising amount of ass.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:27:56 pm by AzyWng »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: August 13, 2017, 08:41:45 pm »

Built the city of London, with a population of over 25k, with splendid fountains and gardens and statuary spread erratically all over the countryside, where there's a large amphitheater holding cockfights with ostriches and a larger colosseum holding fights between elephants and groups of lions(elephant lost, but killed a lion), where there's so many beds that they're nearly spilling out from the warehouse they're stored in, and where all the nobles have had their palaces tossed on the opposite side of the city from any services they might want because I really don't give a damn about them.

I was named Emperor of Rome in the last will of the late Emperor for my efforts.

Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 709