Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292688 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10470 on: April 20, 2023, 09:45:02 am »

P-ranked John Gutter and Pepperman in Pizza Tower.

It took about 10 minutes to get Pepperman right, but John Gutter took about 40 minutes.  If the first level of the game took that long, I can only imagine how long some of the later levels would take to get good enough to P-rank them.  John Gutter is about 3 minutes long with lap 2, so screwing up and having to retry is only moderately painful.  Some of the later levels can be closer to 7 minutes, so having to retry them dozens of times sounds like misery.

I think I'm content with my level of achievement here.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: April 20, 2023, 06:37:22 pm »

Finally completed the storyline of Dying Light.
Unfortunately really bad ending sequence (while the game had lots of cool in mission up to then)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But anyways it's done and that bastard is dead.

Still have tons of things to do post-game (the amount of content is rather great), but instead i decided to go for The Following, the enormous (it's even bigger than the main campaign !) dlc  that came for free with the Enhanced Edition and that is the direct sequel to the main campaign.
Driving that buggy around is a lot of fun, that feature specific to The Following is good as the new giant countryside map is much less parkour-oriented and more about exploration.

Oh and the "Bozak Horde" dlc is as garbage and uninteresting as most people reported it to be, i thought a horde mode in a game like Dying Light would be delightfull but they managed to screw it up.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:39:08 pm by Robsoie »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: April 21, 2023, 02:07:03 am »

I ran my first settlement since foxes were introduced, prestige 6 difficulty.

Knowing that there will be increased food consumption and fertile soil, I started with a small farm and oil for events. It was a slow start because the first glade I opened had no fertile soil, and the event only accepted luxury resources. I had to tear the thing down to keep it from doing damage. I think it was the one that lowers morale for every 10 amber in storage, so I actually did more harm to myself that way.

I chose cornerstone to prioritize vegetable production, and it paid off when I discovered veggie nodes and fertile ground in other glades. I nearly ran out of food at some point, but once the industry took off, vegetables and flour were my main export

I played a long game with the orders. I took maybe three that involved sending packs of crops, and again, I could only really do that once I've picked, earned and bought enough farming-related cornerstones.

Near the end stagnation hit. I didn't want to open new glades because there were foxes and harpies leaving every storm. Then I realized that at some point I picked the cornerstone that granted me progress for every 60 worth of stuff sold. I had so much veggies and planks that I  could literally buy victory.

I

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: April 21, 2023, 08:14:12 am »

Oh and the "Bozak Horde" dlc is as garbage and uninteresting as most people reported it to be, i thought a horde mode in a game like Dying Light would be delightfull but they managed to screw it up.

I'm surprised you thought it was a horde mode after you played it. I thought it was more a series of challenges that I found interesting but a bit difficult for my tastes.

I didn't get to the Harran Stadium before I started getting bored with the game, admittedly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: April 21, 2023, 08:30:58 am »

well the name "bozak horde" made me think before play it was a "horde" mode, i don't know it seemed to make sense to me :D
The challenge started well, you need to rush through a location to disarm a bomb.
Then crap started : take that weapon and kill a lot of virals. Except that weapon is absolute low damage garbage, virals don't seem to die from hitting them with that garbage weapon (at least if you kept your campaign weaponry , with weapon that can actually deal pain) and seem to only be killable from using your kick crushing skull ability (assuming you picked it with your character) when you climb and wait until a viral climb.

Wouldn't have been too bad if the virals always went to climb after you (so you could just crush their head with your kick one after the other), but instead they often wait and hesitate for a random amount of time, and if unlucky that random amount of time can mean you're going to miss the tight time limit

Maybe it's to be played for after you grinded all the Legends skill tree (good luck with the insane grinding) as it provide melee/weapon/etc... bonus that may then workaround the garbage item Bozak gives you. Fortunately you play that bozak crap with your current character levels so at least you keep your skills but still can't find the fun in what i experienced. 

The Prison DLC is not too bad in comparison, you're trying a speedrun of a whole prison swarming with various type of infected or guards that shoot everything on sight.
My first attempt i played so cautiously it took me 40mn to complete. Checking on some youtuve speedrun, i'm very very far from the top times :D
Be sure to get your best shotgun, i ran into a few armored volatiles (probably because i've got all my survivor levels, as zombies get progressively better version when you level) that i imagine without my best automatic shotgun would have been hell on earth.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 09:03:39 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: May 03, 2023, 07:12:59 pm »

Finally completed the "The Following" campaign for Dying Light Enhanced Edition.
What a ride that game has been, both the main campaign in Harran and the Followin campaigns have been truly excellent with their own gameplay and game world.

Enjoyed that game a lot more than i thought.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 07:17:40 pm by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: May 05, 2023, 04:51:46 am »

Ten years in, total population is 10,000. As the last year closed, one of the most important industrial areas - the steel mill, with direct resource connections for coal and iron, and a train to drop off workers - was finished and began operations. Less than three months of operation, and it's already filled out construction storage and is already exporting the overflow. The only construction resources I'm not producing are mechanical and electrical components, and the former would only require a new factory for it(all research already complete).

Other exports include bitumen, fuel, alcohol, food, and excess construction material. Population happiness is generally over 90% though I keep getting messages about specific residences being unhappy, and there's little I can do about that. Over 75% of the population has university education.

EDIT: Cleared my first sandbox(no tutorial script, no hand-holding) murder case. Got marks for identifying and arresting the killer, but I couldn't find any physical evidence that put them at the crime scene. I also misidentified the murder weapon. Apparently the suspicious-looking goddamn sword just laying on the floor of the killer's apartment wasn't the murder weapon.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:21:50 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: May 05, 2023, 07:13:52 pm »

Fourth or fifth run, first win in Path of Achra (demo, which is mostly just the full game from what I can tell). Noticed there was a "punch at long range" ability, and decided I wanted me some of that... and ended up more or less just rolling over absolutely everything. Was pretty great. Major credit to master repulsion (which, among other things, scales my damage with the amount of repulsion buff stacks I have and the Intabah (my armor, which stacks up that buff whenever I deal the right kind of damage), though. Took me straight from "struggling to do enough damage" to "lol everything's dying lmao", ahaha.

Neatest thing about it was personal nostalgia, though -- the very first full win I managed in an Angband varient (Furyband) was basically the exact same archetype, beat the crap out of things at a distance with your mind (except that one was, y'know, a hydra instead of a humanoid). Who'd a thunk, taking the major weakness out of a melee build (i.e. being melee) is apparently a pretty effective thing :V

Spoiler: victory screen (click to show/hide)

E: Following up on that, I have done
Spoiler: something ridiculous (click to show/hide)
Won with a minimalist build, one stat, one power, one item, (mostly) one action. It is. Not how the game is intended to be played, and only barely scraped by in the final fight, but. Won it! Enemies were taking like 6 moves to my one by the end and the run took several hours (normal runs take, like... less than an hour, or something like that, they're usually quick), but that's what the minions were for :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:15:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: May 07, 2023, 07:41:35 pm »

Was doing a corporate theft mission - which bugged out, rendering it unsolvable, a known bug so don't take those cases - when a murder occurred four floors above me. The hardest part of this case, and really the only part with any amount of difficulty, was simply getting to the crime scene, as the Enforcers had cordoned off the entire floor.

I get into the crime scene apartment through the vents, find and examine the victim. Next to them was a business card with a threatening, but non-identifying* message. I scan the card for fingerprints, find one. I already have this person's information, having picked up from the previous murder case where she wasn't involved. Literally within 30 seconds of entering the crime scene I have the killer's name, address, and proof they were at the scene.

All that was left was to buy a set of handcuffs from city hall, confirm she's at home, then sneak into her apartment. Got in just as she was preparing for bed. As soon as she hit the pillow, I pounced and put the cuffs on her. Then I searched the apartment, found a sword, ID'd it, took it(unknown if necessary), then back to city hall to turn it in. Got 5/5 on all points for the case - killer's name, address, evidence, arrest, and murder weapon. Kept the sword, will pawn it.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: May 08, 2023, 02:17:28 pm »

Fourth or fifth run, first win in Path of Achra (demo, which is mostly just the full game from what I can tell).

Demo is an old version; 0.4.7. (For anybody looking to try it out though, it's feature complete.)

Makes your minimalist character not possible, as Blood Link doesn't exist.

Kind of grouchy I got all the way to the King of Many Colors, took out the rest of the demons in the zone, with ease, then he drops me from 900 to -600 in one hit.  >:(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: May 08, 2023, 05:55:38 pm »

Ah, yeah, I went ahead and got the full game somewhere between the initial post and the edit. Forgot to mention that. I'm having a blast with it, but as you noticed game is entirely willing to delete you at times. It's not as bad on 1st cycle, but later ones... I'm up to 9th cycle, and 9th cycle will just straight up murder you if you step in the wrong place if you're not building hyper-tanky or somethin' (and sometimes, it will do it then, too).
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: May 09, 2023, 06:18:46 am »

So one thing I can't quite seem to pin down because the action always goes too slow when you want it to hurry up, and too fast when you're trying to catch a detail...

Do the effects of summons only work for that type of summon? Like the death cultists have the effect that allies explode in death damage when they die, but does it work with other summons? Similarly, those super expensive Psi summons have a note about triggering your on-hit effects.

Update:

Anyhow, finally clocked a win. And I smashed the king in ONE TURN once I managed to get within melee distance of him. Technically less than a fifth of one turn if I remembered to pop my prayer, but oh well.

Image incoming whenever I have wifi but: Tengu/Zealot/Dorok, built to combo Pugilism and Fire Healing, with one tier of Immolation, Pyrokenesis and Shamsar for their baseline effects.

Finished it off with around 1200hp, 900 armor, and a high damage of 7500.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 02:20:05 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: May 10, 2023, 05:30:48 pm »

Found an Odyssey in perfect condition, fully armed (Down to having two Longbow bomber LPCs) just floating out and about.

With that I was able to help thrash an incoming Sindrian Diktat expedition.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: May 10, 2023, 08:55:39 pm »

So one thing I can't quite seem to pin down because the action always goes too slow when you want it to hurry up, and too fast when you're trying to catch a detail...

Do the effects of summons only work for that type of summon? Like the death cultists have the effect that allies explode in death damage when they die, but does it work with other summons? Similarly, those super expensive Psi summons have a note about triggering your on-hit effects.
The only summons I can think of that cares one whit about what the other types of summons are, are oozes with their related prestige class. The death cultist effect works with any ally, from any source (the biggest problem with it, and why you might have trouble noticing if it's working, is there's a range limitation to how far out the effect will hit). With psychomorphism (that expensive psi summon), the summons and the other part are entirely separate effects; the on-hit thing applies to any ally whatsoever,* the psychomorphs included. Just in general, if the ability does not specify some kind of limitation, there isn't one. Any hit works for effects that specify hit (so projection, psychomorphism propagated attacks, the extra hits from pugilism, whatever), same for attack, same for kill (pointedly, that includes allies you kill!), and so on.

*One intensely powerful combo with that is to just wear one of the summoning weapons (cursed skull, serpent idol, whatever the ice disk spawning one is, opal something) in your main-hand -- if you do that, the summons that spawn from that weapon will be able to also spawn more of themselves with their attacks. If the conditions are right (not enough enemy AoE to stop it from happening), you can fill up 50+ willpower worth of allies in like two turns as the summons self-propagate.

... it's still inferior to mehtar dream stacking for spamming summons, but it's the next best thing, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: May 11, 2023, 02:51:48 am »

I won a run mainly through resolve to finish the deed.

I had humans, foxes and harpies. Picked harpies specifically because it doesn't take much to get reputation for their morale, even if they tend to be grumpy if their needs are not met. I also picked ale shipments, which helped to keep humans happy near the end.

One of the first blueprints I got was the teahouse, so.ething that benefits both harpies and foxes. Later got a tavern that let me use the stockpiled beer.

I haven't built a single fox house, basically making them second class citizens, yet they loved me enough to contribute to my reputation.

This being prestige 1 difficulty makes it a little less impressive though.

Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 709