Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 169349 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »

I believe that they should do what M&B did and allow you to choose whether you want to enable ironman mode (or whatever it's called) where you cannot exit without saving, and perhaps even only have one save slot.

The reason that Kenshi is saying it isn't doing what all the 'stinky smelly games' are doing is because stinky smelly games have found a formula which works and brings a lot of money to the companies that make them, but they end up not really innovating too much because innovation is a risk and might not sell as well as Call of Battlefield 5: 2: moderner combat. People keep buying those games, so companies keep making them. Basically they say "Hey this game keeps selling every year let's go make it again for more money!" Unfamiliar games and IP's don't have that nice formula to go by so they can't guarantee that people will buy them.

So, if larger companies are not taking the risk to create something different, who does that leave? People who want to play a game, but the game does not exist, so they make it themselves.

It's too early to say and I'm not the developer, but it seems Kenshi is going to be one of those games where stuff happens in the world without your input. So, if you are dicking around, shit's gonna be happening without you having to go instigate anything or activate a quest yourself. That alone seems to be different from a lot of other games I've been seeing recently. Then there's the possibility that your actions may change the way the world works: for example, saving a town from bandits which may mean the town has more supplies to trade and prosper, but down the line the bandits may come back with larger numbers, angry that you've messed with them, or in fact might even send squads after you to take you out. Or perhaps you raid the town yourself and take all the spoils...

But again, it's too early to say. I'm relatively optimistic however, even though it would probably safer to remain pessimistic until the game has developed further.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »

to be fair. battlefield had sparsed out releases instead of call of duty every year.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »

to be fair. battlefield had sparsed out releases instead of call of duty every year.
Time frame is not what I'm speaking of here.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:13 pm »

Looks promising!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2012, 04:32:39 am »

I'm playing out with the demo, so far it looks interesting but a bit flat. Also, I've this tons of katana I don't know where to sell as every shop has the inventory full  :P

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »

I'm playing out with the demo, so far it looks interesting but a bit flat. Also, I've this tons of katana I don't know where to sell as every shop has the inventory full  :P

Currently shopkeepers don't refresh their inventories, so you either need to travel to another city or start a new world and import your team to it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »

Does anyone here know how to raise my swordmen ship skill to NOT SUCKY levels?

Or how to recover pernament injury? I havn't found a doctor.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47:01 pm »

Set your characters to defensive stance until their defense skill is about 20 (I think? I forget a good number) That way they can block hits a little more consistently.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »

Set your characters to defensive stance until their defense skill is about 20 (I think? I forget a good number) That way they can block hits a little more consistently.

I wish I could manuver them around more easily.

A lot of enemies would be dead if these characters would just circle them normally instead of doing it the Ninja way.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »

In defensive mode 30 (20 from defensive stance and + 10 from base level) is when I usually stop and I do alright. If you make defense to high above attack you will almost never attack.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:16 am »

Hm, are ALL new character stats supposed to be 1? I'm finding myself completely inept at doing anything.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2012, 05:58:24 am »

At starts it requires mucho grinding. I like it

Best bet is to run back to city and enter the fight after guards have engaged.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2012, 06:01:58 am »

at the start of the game its probably best to find a trader group and follow them around. If you get into combat, only block and then take the dropped gear. There's always the option of luring a bandit horde back to the town to be slaughtered but that feels pretty silly atm.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2012, 06:12:33 am »

One big problem with either is that EVERY TIME I enter a combat situation, any attempts at controlling my character are completely useless. If I attempt to do anything except pick an enemy to attack, my character just stands there doing nothing and not even bothering to defend or dodge attacks.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:08 am »

which version are you on?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68