Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1170975 times)

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2655 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

does anyone(footkerchief?) know what toady said himself about the timescale issue? something like putting fortress and adventurer mode into one in the end or maybe having more separated modes like something on a larger scale than fortress? i mean, i vaguely remember there being some kind of statement about not having adventurer mode merge with fortress mode even when making your own sites is in and stuff, but my memory can never be trusted...

----

toady, do you have a roadmap or something similar to the devgoals for not ingame related stuff? i am specifically interested whether i could ever run dwarffortress directly in a terminal of my choice(urxvt in my case) since everyting is only ascii and text anyways. 

running df on a remote server via ssh from my mobile phone and similar things would be really awesome

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: October 29, 2011, 04:51:46 pm »

iFortress would indeed be awesome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: October 29, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »

toady, do you have a roadmap or something similar to the devgoals for not ingame related stuff? i am specifically interested whether i could ever run dwarffortress directly in a terminal of my choice(urxvt in my case) since everyting is only ascii and text anyways. 

running df on a remote server via ssh from my mobile phone and similar things would be really awesome

The linux build of DF already has a text output mode, doesn't it?

Also, I remember something called "dfterm" that would allow you to do exactly that: Run DF on a remote machine and connect via (probably) SSH.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: October 30, 2011, 07:43:31 am »

Based on this devlog by ThreeToe (where is he by the way? I miss his devlogs):

Deeper and deeper into the night. Join us, on a trek into terror. What could be creepier than the ghoulish, blood sucking freaks -- so evil they cannot bear the sun. Insidious, the more domesticated of their kind can pass for the living, sending their slaves to do their bidding after sunrise. Vampires are next on the list. Followed by angry ghosts and constructed monsters. The night will live undead.

And the next one by Toady:

Some of the styles of vampire will be able to pass for being alive, even maintaining their old positions for different lengths of time, and some of them won't be able to at all.

It looks like there is a randomized trait for vampires that makes them impossible to blend in dwarven society (for example, Nosferatu-like vampires). These "monster" vampires would try to blend in anyway? It isn't clear from the last devlogs.

I ask because you could have a world with only "monster" vampires and then lose the opportunity to have infiltrated vampires in your fortress.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:17:30 am by thvaz »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: October 30, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »

It looks like there is a randomized trait for vampires that makes them impossible to blend in dwarven society (for example, Nosferatu-like vampires). These "monster" vampires would try to blend in anyway? It isn't clear from the last devlogs.

I ask because you could have a world with only "monster" vampires and then lose the opportunity to have infiltrated vampires in your fortress.
The impression I got from the devlogs was that currently, there are no "monster" vampire types, and ThreeToe's "storylet" was an ideal of what vampires could be capable of. Perhaps they weren't worth mentioning because they'd act much like werebeasts currently, running into the wilds and then attacking from their lairs, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:36 pm »

The only way I can imagine monster vampires, who arn't just pure murderous monsters who psychologically could never hope to blend in, would be to hide their face.

I mean... such things did actually happen where someone was so hopelessly disfigured that they were covered up and no one saw their face (such as some people who got Leprocy)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: October 30, 2011, 06:29:02 pm »

The only way I can imagine monster vampires, who arn't just pure murderous monsters who psychologically could never hope to blend in, would be to hide their face.

I mean... such things did actually happen where someone was so hopelessly disfigured that they were covered up and no one saw their face (such as some people who got Leprocy)
In some stories, particularly in the World of Darkness universe, the ugliest of vampires sometimes tend to live in the sewers and undercities, and are more beast than man in lifestyle. Seems like an appropriate extreme to me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: October 31, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

Toady, if you can give an announcement for any dwarf that nobody has seen in more than X amount of time without it taking up too many resources, that would be fantastic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: October 31, 2011, 07:57:52 am »

Toady, if you can give an announcement for any dwarf that nobody has seen in more than X amount of time without it taking up too many resources, that would be fantastic.

Bad form Japa. While I know many questions are either suggestions or suggestiony the point of the Green Coloration is to ask Toady questions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:40 am »

It would be amusing to make a hunter or miner that hasn't seen another one of your dwarves for a year or two be marked as missing, but that might be going too far, he he he.

Though it would be hilarious when the hunter/miner marked all the other dwarves as missing too :D
Love, scriver~

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: October 31, 2011, 09:26:20 am »

It would be amusing to make a hunter or miner that hasn't seen another one of your dwarves for a year or two be marked as missing, but that might be going too far, he he he.
I assume the Hunter will get seen by the rest of the fortress when he goes to return the meat to the stockpile and a miner will more than likely go and eat/drink back at the stockpiles as well (considering you haven't built mini-supply stations).
Might be possible in the future if Hunters get tents, the ability to dry meat and really "live off the land".

The missing feature is great and I can't wait for one day when a dwarf gets a strange mood and disppears for a few weeks, get declared missing and presumed dead, only to be found by traders and returned to the fortress holding treasures of his wonderlust. Bonus points if he returns during his own funeral.  :)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: October 31, 2011, 10:08:40 am »

This could add a whole new level of difficulty in preventing tantrum spirals.

Lets imagine a dwarf called Urist McRomeo is married to Urist McJuliet. McJuliet goes missing and is presumed dead, McRomeo, distraught with loss, jumps into the river and drowns. Later McJuliet is found, but discovers McRomeo has committed suicide. She too is overcome with grief and joins her lover at the bottom of the river.

I can't wait for the day that dwarf fortress can finally rival the daytime soap operas.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: October 31, 2011, 10:27:09 am »

What happens if the player sees a dwarf's corpse before any of your dwarves do? Do unannounced corpses show up on the stocks screen?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:33 am »

Let me just say, that having a dwarf who has not seen another dwarf for a full year is should be plenty eligible for being "Missing".  Even miners and hunters come back for meals, after all.  I wouldn't call someone THAT isolated being missing unreasonable or going overboard at all!  You'd have to really WORK at it to trigger it, after all.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:29 am »

It would be pretty cool to have dwarves that disappear do so from the player's perspective as well. For instance, If a dwarf had his own supply of food/ drink down where he was digging, but he himself was never seen by any of the other dwarves, and therefore by you. you only notice that he's still alive because the stockpile he's using slowly goes down in qty.  Concerned for your dwarf, you could send down the militia, who discovers him digging away, revealing him to the player.

overall, regardless of whether or not this could happen, having dwarves disappear in general is a great idea.

*scribble scribble*

Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 298