Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168087 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #705 on: June 02, 2011, 09:07:25 pm »

Goblins. Are. Vikings.
Vikings had farms in their own nations, and valued poetry and song very highly.
Also they were not immortal and had to eat to not die.

They also weren't constantly murdering each other.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:30 pm »

Goblins are a lot more like that episode of the original Startrek where they went to the evil dimension where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

Except dumber (as in the goblins arn't as smart) and less goal centric.

So I guess Goblins are like a civilisation of naughty children who just don't care.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:11:54 pm by Neonivek »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »

I guess Goblins eat only their own EVIL, which they excrete in the form of a MOUNTAIN OF HATRED with which they use to bury challengers with.

Or maybe they just don't eat right now because they tend to get wiped out quickly in world gen enough as it is?

Not sure what the problem is. Though, I suppose if you were immortal, never needed to eat and were entirely selfish, anti-social and misanthropic, you'd just wall yourself into some crevice underground or go be a hermit and decide to never be relevant to the world.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:32:08 pm by Montague »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 02, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I started the vampire process by adding ingestion syndromes. These'll be used to give the option to make drinking a vampire's blood a way to pass along the curse, but since it looks at item materials and contaminants and so on, when we get to poisoned apples/alchemy/etc./etc. that'll work without any additional fiddling.

I once read about a fort (Gemclod) where a forgotten beast attack laid the fort low with a terrible syndrome, but since it couldn't be transmitted in the food, the few survivors quarantined the rest of the fort off and survived off the forgotten beast dust-coated food in the larder.

Thanks to ingested syndromes, that's about to change...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »

I was wondering exactly what kinds of vampires DF would get, and it seems like, judging from the latest dev post, all of them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
I started the vampire process by adding ingestion syndromes. These'll be used to give the option to make drinking a vampire's blood a way to pass along the curse, but since it looks at item materials and contaminants and so on, when we get to poisoned apples/alchemy/etc./etc. that'll work without any additional fiddling. It should also simplify some modding workarounds (any added food material or liquid material can be given ingestion syndromes).
I think I speak for all of the modders, everywhere, when I say THANK YOU!!

I am going to have a lot of fun with this. A lot of fun...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »

I'm liking this development process of improving the system in a way that makes certain typical results possible (e.g. vampires, werewolves) instead of just shoehorning in those specifics. Hopefully, it means we'll have the possibility of seeing more alien or unfamiliar things, like, I don't know, hairless rabbits whose ingested meat turns you into a dreadful, confused husk of a man who needs to eat, I don't know, wood or people or rocks or something to live. At least, that seems to be the ideal goal, I guess.

Also: Will ingestion-related syndromes finally allow for alcohol to affect creatures, even if it's only in a binary sense (binary as in either you have the syndrome or you don't, as opposed to a continuum between "buzzed" and "hammered")?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »

Also: Will ingestion-related syndromes finally allow for alcohol to affect creatures, even if it's only in a binary sense (binary as in either you have the syndrome or you don't, as opposed to a continuum between "buzzed" and "hammered")?
YES. You should see a line like this under every brewable plant's entry in the plant_standard file:    
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen dwarven beer]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dwarven beer]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dwarven beer]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
Since that references and modifies a material template, you can then put a [SYNDROME] tag in the mix. You can find examples of how to use syndrome tags on the wiki, or in the creature_next_underground file. I would recommend long term stunning and maybe very mild nausea. Also, don't quote me on this, but I think some syndrome effects might stack, in which case it wouldn't be binary at all.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 02, 2011, 11:11:15 pm »

Can syndromes give status increases?

I'd imagine a drunk would have greater willpower or toughness, but with decreased agility and nausea, right?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13:06 pm »

YES. You should see a line like this under every brewable plant's entry in the plant_standard file:    
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen dwarven beer]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dwarven beer]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dwarven beer]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
Since that references and modifies a material template, you can then put a [SYNDROME] tag in the mix. You can find examples of how to use syndrome tags on the wiki, or in the creature_next_underground file. I would recommend long term stunning and maybe very mild nausea. Also, don't quote me on this, but I think some syndrome effects might stack, in which case it wouldn't be binary at all.

I thought it just reset the syndrome timing counter, but don't quote me on that either.

Nevertheless, I'm super excited. As was pointed out in DF talk, syndromes + ingestion effectively gives us a functional magic system.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 02, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

I'd imagine a drunk would have greater willpower or toughness, but with decreased agility and nausea, right?

You can get a lot more specific than that, actually.

Stats increased: Willpower (more stubborn and fewer pain effects, although perhaps pain reception could be manipulated directly in the tissues?) ... and okay, that's about it.

Stats decreased:  Kinesthetic sense (by far!), Focus, Linguistic Ability, Analytical Ability, Patience, and/or Memory (to varying degrees).

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:51 pm »

Not in the current version, maybe in the next one. From what I can tell, you can pretty much put whatever tags you want onto a syndrome now, but that might require overwriting a stat, rather than tweaking it. Actually, can we put any creature tag inside a syndrome now? Can syndromes tweak stats?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:07 am »

Forgive me if this has been asked before.

How long (in real time) does the 'Full Moon' phase in Fortress mode last?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

The new creatures will have enhanced stats? Like a vampire with superhuman strengh or a were-creature faster than both the humanoid and the animal it changes to?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 03, 2011, 01:36:39 am »

Forgive me if this has been asked before.

How long (in real time) does the 'Full Moon' phase in Fortress mode last?

Well, we know that a certain number of frames counts as the passing of a day in DF. Presumably, a set amount of days could correspond to a phase of the moon. In real life, a full moon lasts about 3 days.

Hopefully, the amount of time a moon phase takes, and perhaps even the number of moons a world has, will be things we can set during world gen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 298