Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169340 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1020 on: June 13, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »

Everyone's making TMNT jokes and totally forgetting we have sewers now  ::)
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

Crabs should add proper mechanics for claws and their strength.
That would be very useful.

This is true for pretty much every animal in DF. They're very ill-differentiated at the moment, most quadrapeds falling within two or three different body types with little to no variation between them, hence oddities like herbivores biting harder than alligators.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:11 pm »

One of the things I'm looking forward to doing is my Dwarven Hive mod.  I intend to set all caste appearance frequencies to 0 except for drones - a genderless caste that can only operate on instinct, giving them hauling and brewing as their only actions.

From there, the player should be able to produce foods that cause them to adapt into better castes, including gaining genders and allowing for hive queens.

Alternatively (or additionally), if there's a way, I intend to spray down invaders with a manufactured goop that causes them to split into more drones.  I hope that transformation syndromes allow you to specify whether or not the transformation is permanent, as well as whether or not the creature receives a new soul (and therefore new allegiances, mental attributes, loses all old skills / attachments, etc.)  I sincerely hope we'll be able to do that. 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 14, 2011, 07:19:26 am »

Man, I almost cant wait for this new update, seems like its got everything i could ever want.
My only sadness is for the lack of curses/syndromes adding parts; sure a dwarf cursed with a head the size of a beachball is absolutely hilarious, but i still really love the idea of a Harold style bonsai tree growing out of someone's head, which leaves a good question.
Can undead get syndromes/curses?
I'd assume the common cold would be beneath them, but a future curse causing rapid bone rot in undead given by an adventurer with a holy secret makes sense.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:39 am »

It's a logical assumption. Most mortal creatures have [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] that causes them to be affected by the usual syndromes; venom, poison clouds, et cetera. Forcing any "undead" to have [CREATURE_CLASS:UNDEAD] or some such would make them vulnerable to poisons that were explicitly designed to damage non-specific undead with [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:UNDEAD], be they procedurally generated or modded in.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:52:15 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 14, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »

Regarding the gem cuts mentioned in the devlog. How will this affect gem decorations?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 14, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »

Toady!!!

I don't mind reading about slow days at all, personally. Don't feel bad or slow down because of it, at least 1 person appreciates it. But I hope you don't feel compelled to overdo it if you hate frequent updates either.

:D

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »

It's a logical assumption. Most mortal creatures have [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] that causes them to be affected by the usual syndromes; venom, poison clouds, et cetera. Forcing any "undead" to have [CREATURE_CLASS:UNDEAD] or some such would make them vulnerable to poisons that were explicitly designed to damage non-specific undead with [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:UNDEAD], be they procedurally generated or modded in.

Could you guarantee that a procedurally generated creature belongs to that class, though?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 14, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

I suppose this is the sort of day that doesn't usually get a dev log.

Not at all. Glad to get these daily updates about where you're at. It keeps me interested and endlessly fascinated by the process.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »

Not at all. Glad to get these daily updates about where you're at. It keeps me interested and endlessly fascinated by the process.
I think he was saying that, in the days before daily updates, this is the kind of day that would be left out. Nonetheless, I agree wholeheartedly; even for uneventful days, being kept up to date with the development of the game helps to abate my impatience for the release.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 15, 2011, 01:54:26 am »

Well, regardless of content, I eagerly awaits devlog updates every day. I like how ThreeToe is participating too.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:20 am »

Yep, I too appreciate the update.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 15, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »

I have a feeling this must have been covered before, but I'm throwing it out here anyway, especially in light of how adventure mode/legends are just going to keep getting more interesting now...

Are there any plans to make surnames pass down in family lines? As it is now, it's very difficult to get a sense of families as a unit, because there's no way to tell if people are related without going out of your way to check for it.

Some old research:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: Taritus
Alrighty, there's something that's always bugged me.  I like to start fortresses in worlds without a living dwarf civilization, because I like the whole building a fortress over time via births, and I've noticed that children don't take the name of either their father or mother.  I'm wondering if in the next release there will be any changes to inheritance of names or if there is some cultural reason that's acting as a placeholder for now as to why dwarves don't have family names.

Dug this up from an ancient thread on that very topic:

It's true, due to sheer laziness there are no rules for name transfer.  If I do that, it'd be part of the civ defs and randomizable probably.

Oh, and this too...

I'm afraid to see p/matronym based names once adventurers start having kids now that name entry is in.  My child would have had the F word!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »

One of the reasons I remember family names not being in was because it used to be that each civ started worldgen with only ten historical figure couples, so by the end of worldgen you'd still only have like ten surnames per civ (barring some system in which hist figs can change their surname for whatever reason).

'course nowadays we have a whole bunch of abstracted population in worldgen so I'm not sure whether that would still be an issue.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1034 on: June 15, 2011, 12:41:34 pm »

It'd be interesting to see dwarves take one part of the compound name from one parent, and one part from the other.

I imagine players locking Bombreck Gripboats and Urist Steelbodice in a room, chuckling merrily.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 298