Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169396 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1635 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »

And with the growing of farming labors and capitals invested (tools, farm fields, fertilizers), the efficiency can slowly increased to current level or beyond. THAT's the definition of scalability.

I'm aware of the definition, thank you.

Only specialized agriculture society will be able to make a profit out of it, and the level of sustaining a community itself will require a large portion of the populations/industry capability. Those only choose small farmer populations will have to import foods. (Or completely dependent on importing food or hunting)

In case you haven't tried this: download Dwarf Fortress, create a world, start fortress mode, and build a farm on a patch of muddy ground. You will make a profit. It's almost impossible not to. So how can this be changed so that "farming capital" and specialization actually matter? Right now there's no place where "scalability" can change anything--each additional square of farm plot is exactly as productive as the first one, and the labor input is small enough to be irrelevant.

Are you being completely ignorant?

Each tile produces X food. This food requires Y effort to take care of it, with untrained labourers.

From what I understand, he wants the time taken by labourers to pick and plant the crops to be much increased. This is reduced by having highly skilled labourers, tools to aid in the process, and fertiliser. A fort that isn't dedicated to keeping these in good condition will be unable to efficiently produce food via farming.

We can then introduce the efficiency of having larger fields by having a efficiency increase in crops produced in a larger field, while countering the exploitability by forcing a set amount of labour that, in a small amount of food production, would favour the smaller fields.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:31:10 pm by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:24 am »

One efficiency increase of larger fields could come from a transportation / taskmanagement improvement:
If dwarves can cary an entire bag of seeds and continue to seed one tile after another, without needing to return to the seeds stockpile for each task, while a bunch of smaller fields would require separate tasks and thus returning to the stockpile anyhow.
(... right?)
placing stockpiles nearby is a common efficiency booster, but still each new task introduces the chance the dwarf goes off to the other side of the map to haul a log or something unproductive such as visiting a dead relative. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

slyeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:26 am »

Are there any considerations to add proper portcullis' to the game with the inclusion of vast walled cities or will this be regulated to the future moving fortress parts update?

Edit:  Ah yes, relegated was the word I wanted, can never keep those two straight...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:31:45 am by slyeye »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:39 am »

Are there any considerations to add proper portcullis' to the game with the inclusion of vast walled cities or will this be regulated to the future moving fortress parts update?
it's 'relegated to'...
anyhow: haha, I used to think this dev item read 'Moving Fortress' and imagined it as a manga thing (Howl's Moving castle), where giant fortresses stalked the map.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tweakd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:43 am »

It isn't ready to navigate you to specific buildings at this point, just to show what's around you as you move.

Presumably this will work quite simply with compass bearings. Looks great from here!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »

I just noticed something with the maps. Along the northern part of the city, you can see roads ending straight into the city walls. That's not dramatic, after all there might be houses or farms there. What strikes me more is the road going through the northern gate which literally leads to nowhere. It ends at the gate. Could you please explain this Toady ?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »

I just noticed something with the maps. Along the northern part of the city, you can see roads ending straight into the city walls. That's not dramatic, after all there might be houses or farms there. What strikes me more is the road going through the northern gate which literally leads to nowhere. It ends at the gate. Could you please explain this Toady ?

My guess is that the mid-level maps just aren't yet properly resolving the roads vis-a-vis surrounding obstacles.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:19 pm »

On the bottom of the travelmap just posted there is a "c:clouds". Does this mean that there are now clouds in game? Can we now build towers in fort mode that are above the cloudtops?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 26, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »

On the bottom of the travelmap just posted there is a "c:clouds". Does this mean that there are now clouds in game? Can we now build towers in fort mode that are above the cloudtops?

This is screen is of adventure mode, where you can see the clouds since the first public release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 26, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »

As thvaz said, it's an Adventure Mode thing.  It's the same toggle that you can use on the current Adv. Mode travel screen.  Clouds will not show up in Fortress Mode yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 26, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

When hilldwarves are in, is there a chance we could end up with a town map like the one you posted, but with our own fortress at the center?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:25 pm »

When hilldwarves are in, is there a chance we could end up with a town map like the one you posted, but with our own fortress at the center?

I really, really want this.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 26, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »

Maps look good...  I was wondering if this comment, "I'm in the middle of rewriting the army code to support the new zoomed-in maps (your traveling group is stored as an army for homogeneity's sake)." could be taken to imply that the future Worldgen battle report maps might use the same/a similar map system?  (i.e. same scale, representation of roads/rivers etc.)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »

Don't see why not. Makes sense to use what map systems he already has unless there's a pressing need to write up a new one from scratch, like he did here.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:57 am »

Guys, I wasn't very active on the DF forums, and I haven't played sinced a long time, so here is my question to you. [I guess the community can give me an answer as well] Baughn started to work on some OpenGL stuff + he wanted to separate text and graphics IIRC. What happened to the project? Is it working in the SDK version or?
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 298