Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169209 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1755 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »

So...  This would be the culmination of the Armies arc, right?

Provided we can craft/procure the appropriate sleevies...

The army arc isn't over until Toady says it is, and even then there might be changes in the future. Before that happens, we will at least be able to send out armies from our fortresses, and command armies as an adventurer.

Toady did the interactions change because it fixes a lot of missing functionality, which would be vastly increased in the next version had it not been implemented.

While we are at it...what are the "biggest" and most awesome features in the upcoming new version? Can we move armies in dwarf mode and conquer settlements for example? I am unable to figure it out after reading the devblog.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »

We're not into the army arc yet, this next release is release one of the caravan arc and there are nine caravan arc releases planned before moving on to the army arc. It's going to be a while yet before you can start sending out invading armies.

As for the best feature of this next release, that's entirely a matter of opinion and I'm going to have to see them in action before I can decide on which one I like best.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 05, 2011, 02:23:48 pm »

And let's not forget emergent gameplay will create new, unplanned best features.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: August 05, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

Well the Carrivan Arc is absolutely needed for the Army Arc (and nearly every other arc) because at its heart the Carrivan arc deals with moving resources.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 05, 2011, 02:33:42 pm »

While we are at it...what are the "biggest" and most awesome features in the upcoming new version? Can we move armies in dwarf mode and conquer settlements for example? I am unable to figure it out after reading the devblog.

No armies yet.

Personally, I think the biggest and most awesome feature in the upcoming new version will be the new interaction modding system. On the surface, you won't really see a whole lot come of it aside from the vampires and werewolves, but it's going to open up a rather large number of modding possibilities.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1760 on: August 05, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »

:o ???

Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

The next release is NOT the culmination of the Army Arc. As hinted by my spoilered pun, I thought I was making a joke.  I apparently overestimated my sense of humor, not an uncommon occurance.

Disembodied Arm brought back to life... Little Arm -> Armie... Armies... Sleevies...  ::)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 05, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »

We're not into the army arc yet, this next release is release one of the caravan arc and there are nine caravan arc releases planned before moving on to the army arc. It's going to be a while yet before you can start sending out invading armies.

As for the best feature of this next release, that's entirely a matter of opinion and I'm going to have to see them in action before I can decide on which one I like best.

I see, thanks! Whoa...so I won't be able to move my lil' armies for quite some time. Oh well, when the new version is out....I am going to start playing again anyway..:)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:16:56 pm by gimli »

DrHojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 05, 2011, 03:21:03 pm »

umm i know this is stupid but i don't get what it means by when it says interactions ^^; yeah i know i'm stupid

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 05, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »

umm i know this is stupid but i don't get what it means by when it says interactions ^^; yeah i know i'm stupid

Think of a mummy's curse or something like that. If you just search the devlog for 'interaction' you'll find a series of posts talking about what it is. Looks like in this release we'll have interactions for raising the dead (or acquiring knowledge of how to do it at least), were-creatures and vamipres.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 05, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »

Or more likely you don't follow the devlog.

Interactions are first mentioned way the hell back in the post of May 3rd- basically, the "interaction" framework is what Toady created to handle curses and such- interaction is a more neutral term than curse, since some of these interaction abilities can be quite beneficial (more of a blessing, if you will.) Right now the confirmed interactions are the ability to raise the dead, immortality, "bad luck" curses (dispensed by mummies/dead kings/whatever) and the curses that turn people into vampires and were-creatures. He's also rewritten material breath attacks to use the interaction framework. 6-19 he mentions that he "Added contact and cleaning effects to the interaction framework and linked them back to red panda grooming, narwhal tusking, and kitty cat head-bumps, with the ability to do touch-range curses/powers as well."

The short version is that the Interaction Framework is a way for creatures/deities to mess with the world and each other in internally consistent yet non-standard ways- it's been referred to as the "baby magic framework." Certainly exciting stuff.

:o ???

Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

The next release is NOT the culmination of the Army Arc. As hinted by my spoilered pun, I thought I was making a joke.  I apparently overestimated my sense of humor, not an uncommon occurance.

Disembodied Arm brought back to life... Little Arm -> Armie... Armies... Sleevies...  ::)

If it makes you feel better, I got it, and gave a hearty groan as well.

Unrelated, anybody else excited about stalkers? I like the idea of a monster that has more motivation to mess with me than "he's the player, kill'm," especially since it seems they'll do that in wierd, freaky ways.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1765 on: August 05, 2011, 04:20:28 pm »

And let's not forget emergent gameplay will create new, unplanned best features.

I doubt we are going to see a better feature than zombifying your severed own limbs as allies. I'd love to be proved wrong, and some of the night creature stuff seems great, but that's still a very hard to beat best feature.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 05, 2011, 04:26:41 pm »

I doubt we are going to see a better feature than zombifying your severed own limbs as allies. I'd love to be proved wrong, and some of the night creature stuff seems great, but that's still a very hard to beat best feature.

I'm looking more at things like hunting down dragons so you can raise their severed head to have mobile flamethrower turrets.

DrHojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 05, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

Or more likely you don't follow the devlog.
Thank for telling me and i do follow the devlogs i didnt know it was called interactions i just thought it was magic =S etiher way sounds awsome ^^

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 05, 2011, 05:16:42 pm »

This may seem self-explanatory, but I wanted to be sure.

Will special attacks such as firebreath or webs be handled under the interaction system?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 05, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Squid ink addition turned into material-flows-as-interaction rewrite, which is longer but allows the breath cloud/glob/cone stuff to be added as interaction powers now, which will doubtless come in handy. It also makes material breath have body part requirements, which they were missing. Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet. I suppose webs should be as well, but we'll have to see what happens. Back to towns for now.

Looks like they most likely will. Imagine the possibilities, especially with all the new syndrome effects!
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 298