Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169355 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2685 on: November 01, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »

Will vampires have a different bite attack than regular dwarfs? Or will they have more levels in biting? Will different werebeasts have different skills, such as werecabybaras being excellent swimmers?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 01, 2011, 02:44:44 pm »

Will Vampires require periodic blood feeding, and if so, does it matter which species?

(Vampire gets hungry -> pulls lever to dispense goblin -> nomnomslurp)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2687 on: November 01, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »

Let me just say, that having a dwarf who has not seen another dwarf for a full year is should be plenty eligible for being "Missing".  Even miners and hunters come back for meals, after all.  I wouldn't call someone THAT isolated being missing unreasonable or going overboard at all!  You'd have to really WORK at it to trigger it, after all.

Finally, a use for those children that run around and follow people to their jobs. They are part of the dwarven secret police, keeping tabs on everyone's location.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:46 pm »

I would be a little worried about my egg layer keepers but that's partially a modding problem.

Egg laying civs will take nest boxes before the animals you are trying to breed do so, I often have to lock one resident in a little room with 30 years worth of food and a well to take care of the animals, and handle one side of the airlock.  With folks not seen for a while disappearing it might be problematic for that.  ....Though I suppose I could just install some windows or fortifications so that the regular fortress residents can see in.

Seems unnecessarily cruel for the poor sap locked in with the smelly beasties though if they can see their friends and family so close...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

I have a great many question about this new updates for vampires.

Firstly, can a gobrin become a vampire too or just only certain species can be vampire. In that same vein can you encounter vampiric forgotten beasts?

Secondly, how does feeding work? Will the feeding for vampire be similar to how normal dorf eats. (Some vampire canon holds that vampire detests to eat food, etc.) If so, will the feeding always cause death or will it depend on how hungry the vampire is for blood? Essentially, will the time between feedings impact how much blood the vampire takes, and if not all feedings kill, will the vampire attack just cause unconsciousness?

As an aside will the personality of the vampiric dorf also impact how it chooses to feed. I mean essentially, will an angry vampiric dorf be more prone to drain all their 'live'-stock of their blood, and on the opposite spectrum a very nice vampiric dorf would be more apt to avoid taking too much blood from a victim.

In relation to the vampire wounds, will it work how in most vampire canon that the blood will regenerate for the one feeded on over time and if so, would multiple feedings on the same dorf in too short a time create more risk for death, and then to pull back to my questions about personality, one might expect a friendlier vampiric dorf to try to avoid feeding on the same dorf too regularly.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:37 pm »

Will Vampires require periodic blood feeding, and if so, does it matter which species?

Quote from: jimi12
How urgent is the need for a vampire to feed? Will they starve to death or grow weaker if they don't feed for a long time? Or is it more like a somemthing they are just driven to do without any real benefits to themselves other than filling their bloodlust?

Nothing special yet.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 01, 2011, 10:15:52 pm »

Quote from: Three Toe
But that doesn't matter because you won't have to wait much longer.
Quote from: Toady One
All the same, the list grows shorter and it's exciting to be drawing close to the end of this process.

Yes yes, yes yes yes yes. :|
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 01, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »

Quote from: Three Toe
But that doesn't matter because you won't have to wait much longer.
Quote from: Toady One
All the same, the list grows shorter and it's exciting to be drawing close to the end of this process.

Yes yes, yes yes yes yes. :|

Hooray, it'll be right on time for Christmas :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 01, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »

periodic blood feeding
At first glance, I read that as "period blood feeding". That theoretically should be a possibility, but I doubt most of us would want to deal with it.

Makes me wonder about modding possibilities, though.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 02, 2011, 12:35:33 am »

You know the world ends on the 21st according to the maya?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 02, 2011, 12:43:25 am »

Isn't that supposed to be next year? If not, Toady better hurry, so we can all die happy.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 02, 2011, 01:10:13 am »

Isn't that supposed to be next year? If not, Toady better hurry, so we can all die happy.

Next year, and the Maya didn't think the world was going to end anytime soon. More like several million years from now.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:33 am »

Correction: According to a bunch of revisionists wanting to make money off the Maya. The Maya themselves never made any such prediction at all. It's a hoax, like the moon-landing-is-fake people. Shouldn't be a surprise, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 02, 2011, 05:51:27 am »

I wonder if assigning five war animals to every dwarf in your fort would give a vampire problems. The second they tried to get a drink they'd be swarmed by tens dogs, both the owners dogs and their own. That also made me think about animals and their superior senses being able to detect non-human non-dwarven creatures masquerading as dwarves because they smell differently. But from what I know of vampires I don't remember anything about them having problems with animals blowing their cover.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »

That also made me think about animals and their superior senses being able to detect non-human non-dwarven creatures masquerading as dwarves because they smell differently.
AFAIK only smell-related thing implemented in DF as of now is miasma.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 298