Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169436 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3045 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:56 am »

Cities can have multiple layers of walls?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 27, 2011, 05:03:05 am »

Over the course of history? Yes. Simultaneously extant during adventure mode? Toady said he wasn't getting to that, some months ago when he did the walls. It requires ruin framework that isn't in yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:05:30 am by Cruxador »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:32 am »

Wait, does that mean that city A can have one wall, and at some point, it has another wall, but not the first? If there were the 'multiple walls' framework that was needed already in, would it mean that you'd have both walls, but one would be in disrepair?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:12 am »

During worldgen, a wall is built periodically according to some criteria or other, something to do with military danger I think? But the game doesn't actually store much info about the wall, just that it exists, and perhaps how much it encompasses. When a new wall is built, the old one is scrapped for resources. But the level to which the game actually represents this is not very great.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 27, 2011, 06:10:38 am »

Okay.

How quickly is the wall scrapped? Does it tick over at year's end and suddenly the wall disappears?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 27, 2011, 06:17:24 am »

Once again, we're left with no key, and thus little insight into what we're actually looking like.
I'll go out on a limb and say that the striped plots are the crop areas, solid black is waste, solid brown the "pig yards", and dark green the woodlands. That leaves medium green and light green for meadows and pastures.

Theoretically, yes. Given the maps so far, it doesn't seem to be actually implemented.
Regarding internal walls
Quote from: Toady One
I moved the questions on the new city maps etc. to the top for convenience.
Quote from: Japa
Toady, will we be having cities that extend beyond the walls? or cities without walls?
Yeah.  It can handle multiple internal walls/gates (tested, but doesn't place any yet) while still managing a fairly decent building density, and it retains the old fields outside of smaller town maps (walls or not), though I might have to rewrite the field placement code to correspond to more manageable shapes that link in with the new system if the towns end up changing more over time after play begins.  Right now the towns are very shrinkable/extendible, but fields are less so.
I guess it is possible that Toady might get to multiple walls with the current work, but he hasn't said anything. I also notice that the walls seem to invariably have three gates now, when the oldest maps had four gates.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 27, 2011, 06:28:35 am »

Okay.

How quickly is the wall scrapped? Does it tick over at year's end and suddenly the wall disappears?
I don't think Toady's said that. I would guess it's instant.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 27, 2011, 06:43:40 am »

Now, iirc, worldgen doesn't happen in either of the modes, does it?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:18 am »

Now, iirc, worldgen doesn't happen in either of the modes, does it?

You mean worldgen stuff happening during normal play?
No. That is planned for the release 5.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 27, 2011, 06:51:08 am »

So the state that the world's in, once you start playing, is the state it remains in.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 27, 2011, 06:55:58 am »

Not really. People may still die of old age. Or you may kill them. Entity positions get replaced I think.

But more advanced stuff doesn't happen. New roads or cities are not built. The cities doesn't change their structure. No wars are begun except those cause by the player. Etc.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:23 am »

So the state that the world's in, once you start playing, is the state it remains in.
Barring player interference, yes. The world doesn't change independently of the player until Toady gets release 5 taken care of.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 27, 2011, 08:37:35 am »

I cannot wait until I can rampage through cities and break out into the idyllic countryside and set it aflame with my burning foes! :D

But what's the really red cluster of buildings by the keep in this town? another town has something similar but it's green. Are these the temples?

Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3058 on: November 27, 2011, 08:45:13 am »

That's the market :)

This looks really cool. Can't wait to see it in action.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 27, 2011, 08:45:25 am »

But what's the really red cluster of buildings by the keep in this town? another town has something similar but it's green. Are these the temples?
That's a market. Red is meat, green is plants, and brown is  foreign crafts. Temples are a kind of purple (seen here, north-east of the keep and a biggish building in the south-west).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 298