Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169264 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3525 on: December 30, 2011, 06:05:01 am »

It depends on toughness a lot. And yes, it should give more time if you aren't doing anything strenuous, but if you're swimming or fighting, 25 turns (what are they, seconds? three-second intervals?) looks like realistic for a person of moderate toughness.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: December 30, 2011, 11:15:27 am »

Aren't coastal aquifers salty, and thus useless for watersources?

they are in game but I'm pretty sure that irl coastal aquifers are normally fresh water

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:29 am »

they are in game but I'm pretty sure that irl coastal aquifers are normally fresh water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquifer#Saltwater_intrusion
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: December 30, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »

Huh. Didn't know that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: December 30, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »

The links says that coastal aquifers are fresh water unless contaminated by saltwater, so how is cameron wrong?

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »

Coastal cities would also have been able to harvest rainwater for their drinking needs, which isn't very viable in DF currently.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: December 30, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »

Hey Toady! Just got back into DF and I'm really enjoying it again. Just a couple of things I'm interested in:

a. Given that we're able to designate fortifications on constructed walls, are we at some point going to be able to engrave constructed walls and floors as well? I'd be really pleased about being able to do this.

b. I'm noticing right now that the randomly generated night beasts (like gloom creatures, horrors of evil, etc.) tend to heap death and destruction upon dwarven civilizations, leaving none of them with any living members until an enterprising player comes along with his newly-created seven dwarves and rebuilds dwarven society from scratch with migrant waves. Is this tendency going to be toned back in future versions?

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: December 30, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »

from the link

"If too much ground water is pumped near the coast, salt-water may intrude into freshwater aquifers"

wells don't count as alot of pumping, it takes science or !!science!! to make that much mess.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:21:51 pm by Tiny »

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: December 30, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »

a. Given that we're able to designate fortifications on constructed walls, are we at some point going to be able to engrave constructed walls and floors as well? I'd be really pleased about being able to do this.
Still not, no. The problems are still the same as before, and to prevent this thread to be derailed by another discussion on the subject please look one such discussion up.

b. I'm noticing right now that the randomly generated night beasts (like gloom creatures, horrors of evil, etc.) tend to heap death and destruction upon dwarven civilizations, leaving none of them with any living members until an enterprising player comes along with his newly-created seven dwarves and rebuilds dwarven society from scratch with migrant waves. Is this tendency going to be toned back in future versions?
The night creatures aren't responsible for this. Toady took the generation of dwarven cities out some time ago because the current progress conflicted with it; of course they'll be back after getting as much love as human cities. Perhaps a little less.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: December 30, 2011, 04:31:23 pm »

It depends on toughness a lot. And yes, it should give more time if you aren't doing anything strenuous, but if you're swimming or fighting, 25 turns (what are they, seconds? three-second intervals?) looks like realistic for a person of moderate toughness.
I can survive more than 25 seconds (DF Adventure 'ticks' by means of day calculation) underwater, and most people can. If we use 2m as our step width, it actually takes more like 11 ticks just to move one square without water interfering. I would suggest more like 120 ticks (2 minutes) underwater, which allows an unexperienced swimmer to move 5 or so squares underwater.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:41 pm »

Humans no longer create towns or villages in world gen away from rivers/brooks or aquifers
It there anyone on this forum with knowledge of how frequently there were real-life historical settlements that were away from rivers, brooks, and aquifers. I'm thinking Las Vegas, but since it's a modern city, that should be all right.

Even Vegas was built on an oasis. There was water available so that the steam trains could stop. There's actually even a small wetlands area that continues to exist today.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:17 pm »

This came up a while back:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: JoshuaFH
Hey, you know how it's possible to engrave floors? Well, what if I don't LIKE whatever material the floor is? As it stands, I can place artificial floors down with other materials, but not artificial engravings ontop of the natural floors! Will this change in the future? I want my entire fortress to adhere to ONE color scheme!

can I engrave those constructed floors in the future?

I always thought of engraving lots of blocks as sort of weird, at least for a large engraving.  You'll probably be allowed to place larger engraved panels later.

Also, a general note on how to ask questions in development threads:

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions green works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions green[/color]

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:40 am »

The night creatures aren't responsible for this. Toady took the generation of dwarven cities out some time ago because the current progress conflicted with it; of course they'll be back after getting as much love as human cities. Perhaps a little less.

I think he meant that worldgen has a tendency to sometimes produce worlds in which most or all of the dwarven civilizations have been laid to waste by night creatures (or titans, or whatever).  It's not a huge problem for me, I just check the world for surviving dwarven civs pre-embark (along with all the other relevant Legends-mode info), but I can see how it might be annoying.  Worldgen takes a lot longer than it used to.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: December 31, 2011, 01:57:53 am »

Quote from: Devlog
there was a well with a bucket that was lowered down through an open tomb filled with skeletons into a pool in the center of the grimy room

This isn't a bug. It was clearly a feature waiting to happen.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: December 31, 2011, 02:38:11 am »

Quote from: Devlog
there was a well with a bucket that was lowered down through an open tomb filled with skeletons into a pool in the center of the grimy room

This isn't a bug. It was clearly a feature waiting to happen.

It isn't like that is a completely unheard of event for wells to connect to tunnels that have had skeletons.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 298