Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169266 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3510 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39:22 am »

You mentioned a couple days ago that rivers have ramps for edges now.  Will companions follow adventures into the water, or can we still lose them by hopping into a river and swimming a little down stream?
Since Toady mentioned that you could "swim across a stream with your buddies", I'd assume that your companions do follow.

Can vampires, necromancers, and other powerful night creatures come to rule goblin civilizations? If not, why not?
We haven't heard anything yet, so presumably no. The why not probably boils down to "time and priority", but as far as in-universe reasons, necromancers inevitably become antisocial right now, weres always become monsters, vampires don't arise among goblins (meaning that if they do take over a civ, it'll be a human one), and mummies lack worldgen disturbance events.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: December 29, 2011, 11:54:27 am »

If a child gets turned into a vampire and shows up at your fortress, will the goblins be able to kidnap the vampire?
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3512 on: December 29, 2011, 12:32:28 pm »

If a child gets turned into a vampire and shows up at your fortress, will the goblins be able to kidnap the vampire?

That'd be hilarious.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: December 29, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

If a child gets turned into a vampire and shows up at your fortress, will the goblins be able to kidnap the vampire?[/color]

That'd be hilarious.

This REALLY makes me wish the "take over historical figure" in adventure mode thing was in, because I would play the crap out of that.

Slightly more on topic, that may actually be a way for goblins to get taken over by a vampire, albeit an extremely unlikley one. Abductions happen in worldgen, right? Otherwise that nonsense will have to wait for Release 5.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:24 pm »

As I recall, goblin towers used to be full of slaves - mostly children.  I suspect that they were just generated on-the-fly though. 
where is up?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »

Can vampires, necromancers, and other powerful night creatures come to rule goblin civilizations? If not, why not?
We haven't heard anything yet, so presumably no. The why not probably boils down to "time and priority", but as far as in-universe reasons, necromancers inevitably become antisocial right now, weres always become monsters, vampires don't arise among goblins (meaning that if they do take over a civ, it'll be a human one), and mummies lack worldgen disturbance events.
This made me wonder: in the case of a ruler being a vampire. What happens when it is exposed? Will the justice system apply to the ruler or will the ruler be immune. (say by inherent immunity to justice or mandating vampyrism to be allowed)
I don't think the mores of rulers affects their peoples morals, yet, but it would be a good idea to have rulers try to impose their own morals on their realm, providing a starting point for revolutions and other future political flux.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: December 29, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »

I was under the impression that the fact that "drowning" is not instantaneous was the DF version of "holding your breath".  Are we talking about a breath meter or something here?  Because otherwise I can't really see how holding your breath is (gamewise) any different from drowning taking time.
I used to think drowning negated the swimming skill...
However, last time I checked in DF I was able to swim down in a many z-level deep lake and back up despite being "drowning" while at the bottom. My speed did plummet down to something very low, though, but that's only realistic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3517 on: December 29, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, "drowning" in DF means that you can't get air from the tile above you, either because you can't move there, or because it's also water (or stone).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

As I recall, goblin towers used to be full of slaves - mostly children.  I suspect that they were just generated on-the-fly though.
Nah, those were indeed historical figures (or their children). When that reliably happened, there weren't any abstract entity populations yet. Would be nice if they could kidnap from the entity populations though (and other events targeting historical figures). For that matter, I suspect that children don't get generated on the fly (ed - that is, for entity populations; obviously they are generated as migrants).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:42:59 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: December 29, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

I think that'll boil down to how Identities are respected by the rest of the game. If Identities are 100% in, then goblins kidnappers should see the Vamp Kid, as its Identity, not what it actually is. I bet for now, only the Fort Dorfs (and world gen) can recognize the Identity for now. Time and Priority thing.

Adult Vamps being in the military, dont have to worry about that as much, I bet, because their still part of the Entity of the Fort, that the goblins are attacking, so even if the Goblins aren't actually respecting the identity, they appear to be doing superficially.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »

Humans no longer create towns or villages in world gen away from rivers/brooks or aquifers
It there anyone on this forum with knowledge of how frequently there were real-life historical settlements that were away from rivers, brooks, and aquifers. I'm thinking Las Vegas, but since it's a modern city, that should be all right.

Also, humans make settlements on the coastline? I doesn't seem to fit into the "rivers, brooks, or aquifers", but it's not like there's no water on the coastline. I'm not making it green, since I think it was answered somewhere (is it on the same list as Mountainhome, forests, and towers?), but I still want to make sure.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:45:48 pm by Anatoli »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: December 30, 2011, 01:09:20 am »

Humans no longer create towns or villages in world gen away from rivers/brooks or aquifers
It there anyone on this forum with knowledge of how frequently there were real-life historical settlements that were away from rivers, brooks, and aquifers. I'm thinking Las Vegas, but since it's a modern city, that should be all right.

Also, humans make settlements on the coastline? I doesn't seem to fit into the "rivers, brooks, or aquifers", but it's not like there's no water on the coastline. I'm not making it green, since I think it was answered somewhere (is it on the same list as Mountainhome, forests, and towers?), but I still want to make sure.
Unless you've turned aquifers off, there will almost always be one near the coastline.  If you did turn them off...  well, you're playing a custom game, so some things might be weird.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:54 am »

Unless you've turned aquifers off, there will almost always be one near the coastline.  If you did turn them off...  well, you're playing a custom game, so some things might be weird.
I realize I may have been unclear, (or I might have misunderstood you) but I meant ON the coastline. That means with the Ocean/Sea in sight. And I also meant in the upcoming version. I didn't see Toady post any screenshots with Sea in them, so I guess not.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: December 30, 2011, 01:29:47 am »

Aren't coastal aquifers salty, and thus useless for watersources?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:18 am »

I was under the impression that the fact that "drowning" is not instantaneous was the DF version of "holding your breath".  Are we talking about a breath meter or something here?  Because otherwise I can't really see how holding your breath is (gamewise) any different from drowning taking time.

A breath meter is kind of what I was going for, as it's nice to know how long you have until you die. Also, arena testing shows that it takes 25 turns for someone to die from drowning, no matter the swimming skill. People can hold their breath for quite a bit longer than that, and trained swimmers should be able to last longer than unskilled people.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 298