Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169433 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3960 on: January 23, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »

Following that line of thought, is a mosqito a vampire?

Clearly, DF needs to uncover what happens when a mosquito contracts vamprism. And Lycanthropy. ...

Sea lampreys, nightwings, leechmen, and some procedural creatures currently have blood sucking attacks. Do those respect blood ingestion syndromes?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: January 23, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »

Following that line of thought, is a mosqito a vampire?

Clearly, DF needs to uncover what happens when a mosquito contracts vamprism. And Lycanthropy. ...

Sea lampreys, nightwings, leechmen, and some procedural creatures currently have blood sucking attacks. Do those respect blood ingestion syndromes?

Toady had an aswer for that:

Quote from: Heph
Toady after reading the latest devlog entry i was wondering if only the blood of intelligent creatures work or if you could suck out a bunny or a boar. Secondly i wonder what would happen if you suck the blood of a creature that has an interaction linked to its blood?
Quote from: LordNagash
Why do they have to be unconscious? I mean if you're fighting someone one-on-one, seems likely that you'd be able to grapple them and then bite into them.

You'd be able to drain an unconscious animal, if you want to strangle one or something.  Any ingestion syndrome from the blood would be triggered.

As far as i understand it that counts for all bloodsucking attacks thus leeches, Nightwings etc. will be poisoned if they can be affected by the poison.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:51 am »

As far as i understand it that counts for all bloodsucking attacks thus leeches, Nightwings etc. will be poisoned if they can be affected by the poison.

The quote you used referred to vampires attacking unconscious animals. The vampire sucking code seems to be different from the old leechman/nightwing/lamprey code in that it happens to helpless opponents, not as a combat move. IF the old code now respects blood ingestion syndromes, then perhaps we can have Vampiric Sea Lampreys (who sucked blood from a human vampire).

Wait,
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
    [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
    [IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
    [IT_REQUIRES:HAS_BLOOD]
    [IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]
    [IT_FORBIDDEN:SUPERNATURAL]
    [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE]
    [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:VAMPCURSE]
    [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DISTURBANCE_CURSE]

Because of the CAN_LEARN requirement, it appears that only nightwings or leechmen would be eligible for vampirification.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:36 am »

Toady, is there a reason you know of why it is so common for middle fingers to get damaged?  The SA "Gemclod" fortress in particular showed dozens of combatents getting their middle fingers mangled, and now it's showing up in your dev log.  Is this a bug, a bizarre statistical fluke, or is there a good reason the simulation tends to pick middle fingers to bust up?

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: January 24, 2012, 01:29:27 am »

Toady, is there a reason you know of why it is so common for middle fingers to get damaged?  The SA "Gemclod" fortress in particular showed dozens of combatents getting their middle fingers mangled, and now it's showing up in your dev log.  Is this a bug, a bizarre statistical fluke, or is there a good reason the simulation tends to pick middle fingers to bust up?
Improper behavior. Elbows are next.

Loved the devlog. It's a good horror movies material.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: January 24, 2012, 06:12:51 am »

@devlog: But what about the treasure!?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:57 am »

No idea for sure, but middle fingers tend to be longer, and thus easier to hit in combat. That seems only a partial explanation, however.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: January 24, 2012, 09:24:00 am »

Yea would not surprise me in the least if the middle finger is slightly larger than the others in the raws and that could explain it.  However I'm at work (very laid back job) so I don't have a copy handy to confirm.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3968 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:42 am »

The thumb and fingers one through three have RELSIZE of 5, and the fourth finger has RELSIZE of 4.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »

Most likely confirmation bias.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

I don't know.  When middle fingers get mangled on both hands, repeatedly, without injury to any other fingers, it seems like something more is going on.  It's not just that middle fingers keep getting busted up, but that NO OTHER FINGERS SEEM TO.  At least, I haven't seen any other fingers get hurt.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: January 24, 2012, 02:07:16 pm »

Will mist behavior allow it to become trapped on a map by crafty players?

When I read that mists are supposed to work like miasma, it sounded like the arrival of a mist would create the center of a mist cloud on the side of the map, surrounded by miasma-like mist tendrils billows. Presumably that mist would move around the map having Fun (and screaming Weaponize me!). If the only way to be rid of a mist was to let it float off the map, then conceivably a player could build a giant bridge-based trap for a wandering cloud and save it for the next goblin siege.

Or build a city over it and let it roam the streets at night.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »

I don't know.  When middle fingers get mangled on both hands, repeatedly, without injury to any other fingers, it seems like something more is going on.  It's not just that middle fingers keep getting busted up, but that NO OTHER FINGERS SEEM TO.  At least, I haven't seen any other fingers get hurt.

You could make some dwarves with giant hands and throw them in the arena.  Might get a good bug report out of it.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: January 24, 2012, 03:19:11 pm »

Re: the vampire discussion

Every fictional universe that includes vampires seems to feel a strong urge to explain how their vampires (i.e., in their universe, "real" vampires) are different from "fictional" or "mythological" vampires.

See the TV Tropes page "Our Vampires are Different" here.

I took a class on vampirism in college. Best class ever. Counted as either a literature, film, or German Language class depending on how you signed up for it. Not nearly as easy a course as you'd think... (Instructor was a little bit batty as well. She hated margins, line spacing, and paragraph breaks, so all your papers had to be printed out as a single block of text from the upper left to the bottom right corners of the page...)

Vampire mythology (and literature) is SO varied it's almost impossible to really define them. Some stories don't even have the vampires drinking blood. The best common characterizing definition seems to be "a creature that prolongs its life -- potentially indefinitely -- by feeding off the 'life energy' of other creatures."

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #3974 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »

Instructor was a little bit batty as well.

I see what you did there.

I was wondering if the 'mists' are implemented as an invisible wandering creature that spews vapors continually. The seems to me to be the easiest way.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 298