Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 843154 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2325 on: September 11, 2012, 07:00:28 am »

edit: Oh yeah, and there's a cute little FB hanging out by the entrance to the Areltulon (NCommander's aqueduct).

That must be Fluffy. It's his favourite napping spot.

I tried to lure him down into hell so he could play with his friends, but he won't move :-/

9. Thikut Logemastel, Mason
   Full body blistering. -- bears further observation.
   Adequate Axedwarf (R), Adequate Fighter (R), Adequate Dodger (R); Skilled Miner (VR), Legendary Mason, Adequate Student (R), Adequate Concentration (R)
   No relationships of note.
   Inexhaustible.
   Female.

That was the mason I melted (with steam) when I drained part of the magma sea into hell.

EDIT: Here's the relevant post from my update: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.msg3353379#msg3353379
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:37:10 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 11, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »

Ah. So it's not a new and heretofore unseen complication of the demon sickness. Good to know.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »

Most of the other full-body-blister patients died of injuries already. You can also get full-body blisters by being in the blast radius of the poison mist attacks from monsters like the monkey brutes, and most of the dwarves who got that probably died shortly thereafter in the ensuing "oops I let demons into the hellbunker" episode from my turn.

Krosan I had full body blisters, for example. He was an axedwarf and I believe he either died of injuries or got torn apart in the second incursion.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2328 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:30 am »

Ah. So it's not a new and heretofore unseen complication of the demon sickness. Good to know.

Nope, it was just an unforseen consquence of making obsidian in hell (which is still there AFAIK).
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:01 am »

Wow.

I'm sure that I set up an aqueduct on my turn, or finished one at least. The one that goes down past a few stockpiles above the Lower Deathgate industry and then winds around the residential area and feeds the wells there? What happened to that! Why would someone break a working aqueduct!
Gods, this Fort is going to Hell!
Also, could I be redorfed? I have no idea when or where in Hell I died. But given the recent rate of deaths I guess it could have happened whenever.

EDIT: Oh, now I see that the lake it was drawing from has been emptied... And my precious aqueduct is now a farm! And the blood splatter where one of me died is still there. Wow, the memories! And the quarters I had built are not being used.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:04:16 am by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:29 am »

Most of the water in Abyssal Deathgate's wells was probably funneled in through your aqueduct. Unfortunately, as you've noticed, that lake is now dry, and the aqueduct is clogged with trees.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2331 on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:39 am »

Most of the water in Abyssal Deathgate's wells was probably funneled in through your aqueduct. Unfortunately, as you've noticed, that lake is now dry, and the aqueduct is clogged with trees.

Does anyone else beside me find it amusing that we successfully invaded hell, drove the dwarfs to extinction, more or less offed the goblins, created marines, built overengineered power devices (which were virtually unused), and yet none of us can build a proper aqueduct to save our lives?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 14, 2012, 06:11:00 am »

Well, my experience so far with Aqueduct Attempt x 3 suggests that this failure is primarily because it takes longer than a year to build a proper one. Unless that's *all* you do.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 14, 2012, 06:35:01 am »

Does anyone else beside me find it amusing that we successfully invaded hell, drove the dwarfs to extinction, more or less offed the goblins, created marines, built overengineered power devices (which were virtually unused), and yet none of us can build a proper aqueduct to save our lives?

Really are we surprised?

Upper Deathgate supported 50-80 dwarves. Lower Deathgate could easily support twice that, and the Hell Bunker could support about 50 if furbished. In total we're left with <40 dwarves in a fort that has the capacity to hold ~250 dwarves but we lack the infrastructure to support even our current population for much longer. To get just Lower Deathgate functioning as intended will be very difficult with just a skeleton crew, especially with syndromes and ghosts performing open heart surgery in the dining room.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ZanVaelius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:03 am »

Upper Deathgate supported 50-80 dwarves. Lower Deathgate could easily support twice that, and the Hell Bunker could support about 50 if furbished. In total we're left with <40 dwarves in a fort that has the capacity to hold ~250 dwarves but we lack the infrastructure to support even our current population for much longer. To get just Lower Deathgate functioning as intended will be very difficult with just a skeleton crew, especially with syndromes and ghosts performing open heart surgery in the dining room.

While I'm by no means expert on things Dwarven, I would suggest immediately abandoning the lower parts of the fort and moving to the upper parts which can support all our dwarves and I believe are safer.
Quote from: Mageziya
SLADE!? Dear lord, holy Armok, flying fudge pickles. I had no idea the procedural generator could use SLADE for forgotten beasts.
Quote from: Hurize
It can, very rare.... But when it does you get get the message "RAEPING TIEM" when it arrives at your base

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 14, 2012, 12:42:24 pm »

While I'm by no means expert on things Dwarven, I would suggest immediately abandoning the lower parts of the fort and moving to the upper parts which can support all our dwarves and I believe are safer.
*headdesk*
After all that work I did to seal off the upper levels and get this place to a barely-workable FPS, you want to go back?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »

They aren't particularly safer, and upper deathgate is almost completely denuded of supplies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That said, I *may* have just reopened the front gate. The trolls haven't made a move yet.

Into autumn now. I've been keeping notes, but don't have time to put together a proper update yet.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:26:37 pm by wlerin »

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »

That said, I *may* have just reopened the front gate. The trolls haven't made a move yet.

May have? Just hope the trolls don't do anything stupid. If they can find their way around Upper Deathgate at all, it'll be a miracle.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2338 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:21 pm »

Is upper deathgate actually sealed from lower deathgate and if so, how is it?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 15, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

It's... complicated. I found a few places where the passageways had not been fully blocked off, but for the most part Eldes managed to seal off Upper Deathgate during his turn. (At least I think it was Eldes.) I've knocked down a few walls to regain access, but at this point trying to traverse from the farms to the gate is pretty much trying to find ones way through a labyrinth. Most of the dwarves are heading through a breached wall into the BATTEREY ruins, up to the upper level of the batterey, up some random ramps that someone placed there, that lead to a twisting double spiral staircase up to the main level. There does seem to be another way, since dwarves randomly pop up out of other corridors, but I haven't found it.

As for the trolls, I've been watching them and so far they haven't even attempted to climb the ramp, let alone brave the Bridge of Death. Traders made it in fine, killing a troll in the process. (Human ones though... I didn't have a system in place to kill them, and the whole point of opening the gate was to, hopefully, obtain gypsum from the dwarven caravan, if one comes, so I can't just lock them in to starve.)

Got the marksdwarves on alert, just in case, though it would have been nice if the ammo stockpiles hadn't been cleared out.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 175