Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1269188 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11895 on: July 12, 2015, 02:58:41 am »

I've been relying on snowballs for a lot of my fighting, which helps, but it's still not quite enough once I get to really tough enemies deep underground that don't get knocked back easily, or fire their own projectiles (like the spiked ice slimes), or turn me into stone like that medusa bitch.

I only played with my friend yesterday for about an hour, but his strategy seems to be "recklessly dig straight down, enjoy falling into dark holes where you can't see what's happening, and die frequently", which doesn't feel to me like the best strategy. I go slowly and carefully and don't get myself killed. I guess that's part of why I'm not advancing so quickly, but I just don't see the point of getting killed all the time.

Okay, I'm making a new world to try out and see if I have better luck. At the very least I need to get my HP higher!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: July 12, 2015, 03:29:56 am »

You have a couple options. If you don't mind fishing minigames, fishing is a thing in terraria and it's by far the best way to speed through the early game. If you don't, my best advice is to look for the overworld jungle, and try to find a cave that leads deep underground. There you should find quite a bit of the silver/tungsten and gold/plat tier metals, as well as a buttload of hearts and chests that can help you get started. Also, if you're making expert worlds, switch to normal. Expert mode is absolutely brutal, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

With that said, once you get past the early slump, there's an incredible amount to do, a lot of which isn't immediately obvious. Every time you get a new item with "material" in the description, hand it to the guide so he can tell you what you can make from it. Also, make a bunch of npc houses. You need free houses for new dudes to move in, and there's something like 20 possible npcs at this point.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: July 12, 2015, 03:43:29 am »

One thing to consider is that unless you are playing a medium or hardcore character, death is cheap in Terraria.  The only things you can lose are coins, and only half of what you are carrying.  This is not Minecraft (on softcore, medium and hard are a different story), fear of dying is your enemy on softcore, accept that some deaths are going to happen and just push to get the things you need.  Believe me, once you hit hardmode (not Hardcore, this one is a world state) death is assured for anyone without perfect reflexes.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: July 12, 2015, 03:50:36 am »

Then again, what's the fun in softcore? I personally love the mad dash underground to get your equipment, and all the sneaking around enemies by tunnelling.
thincake

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: July 12, 2015, 03:52:40 am »

One thing to consider is that unless you are playing a medium or hardcore character, death is cheap in Terraria.  The only things you can lose are coins, and only half of what you are carrying.  This is not Minecraft (on softcore, medium and hard are a different story), fear of dying is your enemy on softcore, accept that some deaths are going to happen and just push to get the things you need.  Believe me, once you hit hardmode (not Hardcore, this one is a world state) death is assured for anyone without perfect reflexes.

Heck the game is already WAY nicer then Starbound is in that it is not that hard to get back to your starting point no matter where you are.

Swig the thousands of recall potions the game throws on you (or one of the MANY magic/ice mirrors) and you will be back.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: July 12, 2015, 04:02:37 am »

Since I fucking hate punishing mechanics I only play softcore, If I want punishing I'll go to a local bar and start a fight.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: July 12, 2015, 04:16:06 am »

Since I fucking hate punishing mechanics I only play softcore, If I want punishing I'll go to a local bar and start a fight.

Hey it isn't like the game doesn't do cheap shots OHH WAIT! it has enemies who can teleport into you and chain hit you until your dead.

I might consider hardcore if I felt like this was a fair game...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11902 on: July 12, 2015, 04:46:12 am »

Yes, this. I don't want to be punished. In fact, I wish you didn't drop money when you died, either. Half of what you own can mean a lot, especially when you've just barely saved up enough to buy something cool. I'm definitely playing with everything on the easiest settings, and I still die a lot. I enjoy the exploration and discovery and building, not the constantly panicking over how much longer I can survive.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to make my new world my permanent home, since it seems a lot nicer in many respects (and I've already found more iron ore than I found after many hours of searching in the first world... still no hearts though). And since I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'm being much more efficient and thorough with mining and such. I can always transfer my good stuff from the first world to this one, I guess.

Some things have been rather punishing though. I got a blood moon on the very first night, then a few days later it started raining slimes. I was having a great time killing the hoards of slimes until the king showed up. I was inside my tiny little starter house right at spawn, so he just spawned right on top of me over and over again, and I died, I don't know, maybe 30 times? I've got a lot of new tombstones I guess. Time to set up a graveyard. Any tips on how to beat the slime king, whenever I get this event again? I didn't manage to do more than about 10% of his health in damage during the whole "fight". :/

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:03 am »

Well, looks like someone managed to do a hardcore expert run, although he did do a couple practice runs at the moon lord/celestial event before doing it for real. Still, really damn impressive. The successful run begins here. The rest of the run is also on the channel.

A couple of interesting observations:
1. Fishing is crazy. Skip caving or anything, get straight to double jump, hermes boots, balloon, and gold/platinum tier gear.
2. He's using the same weapon he picks up at pretty much the start of hardmode at the start of the celestial event.
3. Even if you know exactly what you're doing and how to do it, a full playthrough still takes dozens of hours.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11904 on: July 12, 2015, 04:57:07 am »

How do you get all this cool stuff with fishing? Just make the nicest fishing rod possible, get whatever bait you can, find a big body of water, and fish, and you get stuff that way? I actually enjoy fishing minigames most of the time :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: July 12, 2015, 05:10:07 am »

Fishing crates give you some excessively-great items, including ores and bars. In hardmode, this includes hardmode-tier ores and bars.

Well that and fishing quests has some of the best items in the game as well.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11906 on: July 12, 2015, 05:17:59 am »

So do I need the finishing quests to get good stuff (in which case I have to attract the angler first)? Or can I just fish on my own and reel in cool equipment?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: July 12, 2015, 05:24:39 am »

Yeah. To start fishing, first thing you need is the merchant NPC, who's usually the second NPC you get, the first that actually spawns when you make room for him. His spawning condition is pretty simple, have 50 silver coins.

He'll sell you a bug net, you can use that to get various critters that are around. You use that to get bait, butterflies are the most noticeable but generally lower quality. Worms come from breaking the little dirt/stone/grass piles on the surface scattered around with your pick. You'll get a ton of them when it rains. They're pretty respectable bait as it stands, but you can upgrade them (and should) with a fallen star into a fancy enchanted nightcrawler. The thing about better bait is that the better it is, the more bonus to your chance of getting decent stuff and the less chance it has of getting consumed. You don't need too much bait to get started, as you tend to get more through fishing.

Now that you have some bait, you need a fishing rod. The wooden fishing rod is basically unusable. The earliest decent fishing rod is made from 8 iron/lead at an anvil. Now you're set to go fish. The easiest place to start the loot ball rolling are either of the oceans (at the far left/right side of the world). Just make a little platform out with a roof so zombies and such don't harass you while you gather stuff and start casting your rod.

Most of what you'll pull are logically, fish. Bass/red snapper/salmon/trout/shrimp/tuna/whatever with a white name all can be cooked into meals at either a crafting table or a cooking pot, depending on the fish, and not much else. At the ocean, the only other kind of fish you can get is a pink jellyfish which is just more bait as far as you're concerned. If your total fishing power is low enough (below a total of 50% power between rod, bait, and environmental factors), you can sometimes pull up trash, which has a grey name. They just take up space, go ahead and put them in the trash can. Past the fish and trash, everything you pull up can be useful. You can find a handful of accessories that all do nifty things which their description will tell you, some throwable bombs, a spear, a chainsaw, and the best pickaxe you can get before a certain ingame benchmark that changes a ton about the world, among other things.

You can also pull up crates. This is your primary objective most of the time. These things can have a ton of stuff inside of them, based on the rarity. The common crates, wooden, can have some useful accessories, ores and bars, potions, bait and money. The second tier of crate, iron crate, has a better chance at the useful accessories, a nice sword, a nifty pet, better chance at metal bars, potions, and money, and better bait. The rarest crates, gold crates, can have good metals, more potions, really nice bait, and even more money, plus a nifty mount that lets you swim fast. Once you start fishing in other areas, you can get biome specific crates that can have some of the loot that's exclusive to the area. Jungle crates, for example, can have a better fishing rod that otherwise only spawns in special buildings in the jungle sometimes.

One other thing of special note if you intend to fish, somewhere in the world, usually on the surface of the oceans, there is a sleeping NPC. Talk to him to wake him up, and he'll move in once you give him a house. He's the angler, and he's your BFF. He gives you a daily quest for a certain kind of fish, and if you bring it back to him he gives you rewards, which you really want because some of them are incredibly useful.

The wiki is a bit more thourough on all of the details I didn't cover to keep this (relatively) brief, and once you are starting to get a hang for the game I strongly recommend you educate yourself on the finer points of breaking the game through fish.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:26:21 am by frostshotgg »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11908 on: July 12, 2015, 05:53:55 am »

Thanks for all the info! Can I get good stuff from fishing in normal lakes? Traveling all the way to the end of the world is proving to be too difficult at the moment.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11909 on: July 12, 2015, 06:03:35 am »

Yes, but make sure that your fishing pool contains at least 300 blocks of water and that it is widest at the surface.

If you are finding it difficult to reach the ends of the world it may be worth making a skybridge.

Go up far enough that you will pass over most of the terrain, but not so far as to cause harpies to start spawning, and build a straight line out to the edge of the world, dropping periodic lengths of rope to provide access.  I prefer to use wooden platforms so that it doesn't get in the way when you obtain flight gear, but any common block will do.

The skybridge also makes it easy to collect stars and locate the sky-islands.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:13:03 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 887