Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254345 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #1170 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »

The defense values in the game are often so zealous to make a lot of our old equipment useless... I actually REALLY like the Vilethorn.

It is in fact one of my favorite weapons.

However there is absolutely no point in using it as it became irreperably outdated after Demonite Teir.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 19, 2011, 11:43:39 pm »

I found a floating island that is barely floating really...

Epic... Gave me feral claws though.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 19, 2011, 11:44:04 pm »

Started a new world; this one I'm going to keep/renovate as a "home" world, so far as making my biggest and best constructions (considering that I tore up my first and second ones learning the game and just dicking around in general).

To my surprise, this one seems to have a lot of demon shrines. Digging more or less straight down from spawn led me to one. So now, I have a demon shrine to go with my subterranean dungeon... I mean, NPC housing. Nothing suspicious about that old well behind the ominous, spike covered obsidian tower...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45:42 pm »

Any ideas for what I should do with my floating island?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far I cut it in half, just because.

Most likely going to build dungeon-y looking stuff inside, with a tower on top, but I'm lacking in creativity at the moment.

Build the floating island from Cave Story.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »

Yes. I agree actually.

I find it sad that there's the super clear cut tier system too. I prefer some of the other armours but it's so obvious that molten armour is miles better than everything else. It also happens to be very boring, with no benefit other than the ridiculous defense stat. Same with all the weapons and all that.

This is normally not a problem but the fact of the matter is that the moment you get a molten pick, you've essentially won the game. Nothing is a challenge past that point. There is literally no more competition after you breach hell. It's at this point that I feel it becomes what I hate most about Minecraft.

There's no more purpose. No more goal to aim for. You have to invent your own goals and all that, but personally... I don't like doing that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:33 pm »

Does killing my own eye make me a masochist?
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:14 pm »

The game could definitely use more balancing.  I would like to see specific resistances and such instead of a flat defense rating to make room for equipment variety with less linear progression.  I'd also like to see more complex requirements for high level equipment, or maybe some harder death penalties.  Demonite took some work, but as soon as I had that, molten gear was so easy to acquire. 

This is partly because the difficulty thresholds for certain areas are very specific (get a grappling hook and the entire underground can be dealt with, and all you need for the underworld is high defense, an obsidian skull, and a good pick) and partly because the lack of significant death penalty encourages you to dive for high value resources with no intention of survival.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 19, 2011, 11:52:36 pm »

Yes... the lack of death penalties is definitely a problem as well. I think it's fine like this for the early game, but once you go past a certain point it should make you drop all your loot. Heck, it should even do more than that honestly as right now you can cheese bosses simply by building a bed and a room next to their spawn then fighting them and dying endlessly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 19, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »

Does killing my own eye make me a masochist?

It ensures that you will never be forced to make a sanity check when confronted with your own reflection.  Smart move, I'd say.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 20, 2011, 12:02:57 am »

So, death penalty ideas: Dropping all your ores/harvestable materials. The entire point of the expeditions is collecting the stuff, and dropping equipment is a really harsh penalty, so this should work out well. Perhaps drop them in a pot that is spawned on death, so stuff that is hard to find like diamonds are not gone forever.

General making it more difficult to reach the demonite tier would be good. Make gold equipment besides the pick something to strive for. And giving many of the low-tier materials many different uses, like iron for chests and chains(although all common metals should be available for those roles, like golden chains because fuck I'm rich).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:04:35 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 20, 2011, 12:06:14 am »

My issue with a strong death penelty is how stupidly difficult it is to get back unless you have a mirror.

Right now it would take me about and hour to get back up. It would actually get to the point where if I HAD to get back (and didn't have a mirror) I'd just declair that I beat the game and stop playing Terraria altogether.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:11 am »

So, death penalty ideas: Dropping all your ores/harvestable materials. The entire point of the expeditions is collecting the stuff, and dropping equipment is a really harsh penalty, so this should work out well. Perhaps drop them in a pot that is spawned on death, so stuff that is hard to find like diamonds are not gone forever.

General making it more difficult to reach the demonite tier would be good. Make gold equipment besides the pick something to strive for. And giving many of the low-tier materials many different uses, like iron for chests and chains(although all common metals should be available for those roles, like golden chains because fuck I'm rich).

I have a few ideas as well.

Force the players to only put accessories in the accessory slots. As in, you either replace a current accessory or you can't pick it up. (you can however deposit accessories in chests.)
Reduce light radius for all items, especially armor and weapons.
Reduce Mana Costs, but also reduce mana regen.
Reduce Damage HP regen from bands and make potions heal over time.
Give mirrors a longer cast time, or have it require mana.

Decrease drop rates for all rare items.
Make most enemies able to open doors, some able to destroy the door outright.

Also servers work again. But I'm currently hosting privately for a friend.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:15:45 am by Acperience »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:57 am »

Right now it would take me about and hour to get back up.

I think it's safe to assume that this is because you have dug deep without engineering accomodations for your return... because it's really not necessary.  You just go until you die.  I did the same thing.

It would take me a few minutes to climb back up from the bottom of my pipe to hell.  So anywhere should be decently accessible both ways with some work.  And that's the whole point.  I'm not normally an advocate of making a game laborious, but the industrious problem solving is a major point of appeal to the game.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:32 am »

and how long did it take you to construct this pipe to hell?

Mind you that it took several hours for be to hit hell. (actually I am quite impressed by the path I took)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:35 am »

Speaking of dungeon walls, am I doing something wrong, or can you not place beds in rooms made with them?

\ \

The bed works in the gray room, but not the blue! D:
Dungeon backwall creates an actual dungeon. Monsters will spawn in it. It doesn't count as a "safe" room.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 887