Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261184 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #2265 on: May 27, 2011, 01:12:51 am »

I can't even see attempting to kill a human player in actual PvP with explosives :-\ Unless grenades are something special and I haven't noticed it yet, bombs and dynamite, even (especially, to a degree) spammed all over the place, are just tremendously easy to avoid.

Nix only sorta has to aim, really, especially if you've got meteor shot. Just turn on autoclicker and kinda' vaguely point in the target's direction. They'll die soon enough, unless they've also got a 'nix/s.cannon and are returning the favor (with greater accuracy).

The rawr-I-have-no-aim weapons are probably th'flails, 'rangs, and magic missile/flamelash. The first two have big hitboxes, so they're harder to dodge, and the second you just kinda' run your cursor over the target :P But actual bullets move considerably faster than everything else, so 'nix probably wins again. Th'nix is just ridiculous, really.

Grapple and vine jump are indeed about the only way to actually move quickly in a small space, though, I'll give yeh that. I guess necro and 4x amulet could get some decent speed going, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:10 am »

In PvP, nothing works better than bottled environmental dangers. Bring a few buckets of lava to a dungeon fight, and let your opponent try the hit&run while he's forced to grapple to the ceiling. A surprise faceful of magma at melee range can be quite a powerful weapon in other circumstances too.

Now thinking of replacing a few slots of explosives with magma.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 27, 2011, 01:19:08 am »

I can't even see attempting to kill a human player in actual PvP with explosives :-\ Unless grenades are something special and I haven't noticed it yet, bombs and dynamite, even (especially, to a degree) spammed all over the place, are just tremendously easy to avoid.
Grenades are special because they detonate on contact with an enemy. And getting hit by one is on par with being hit with a star cannon. And grenades are more readily available than stars, and can thus be spammed easier.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:54 am »

They also have a faster fire rate (Needs confirmation!) and if you miss, well they are still there for a short time for you to step on. You might be able to dodge one, but can you dodge them all?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:38 am »

Fun fact: Diving into the code shows that the star cannon is only JUST slower than a nix. Firing delay on a nix is 10, and sc is 12.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 27, 2011, 01:58:09 am »

Fun fact: Diving into the code shows that the star cannon is only JUST slower than a nix. Firing delay on a nix is 10, and sc is 12.

You have source code?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 27, 2011, 02:04:46 am »

I don't. The wiki made by the people who do have the source do.
Star Cannon
Nix
See that use time number at the bottom of the box? Yup, that's how long it takes to use.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:36 am »

Aww, don't get me exited like that. I thought I was going to get more fuel to bitch about Redigits bad programming and annoy the rest of the thread, leading to my eventual banning from the forum, so I go off and make my own game out of spite, that becomes so awesome that I make billions and use the money to fund research into immortality, and over a few thousand years become the unquestioned dictator of the universe. Guess it will never happen now...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 27, 2011, 08:37:04 am »

Aww, don't get me exited like that. I thought I was going to get more fuel to bitch about Redigits bad programming and annoy the rest of the thread, leading to my eventual banning from the forum, so I go off and make my own game out of spite, that becomes so awesome that I make billions and use the money to fund research into immortality, and over a few thousand years become the unquestioned dictator of the universe. Guess it will never happen now...
Toady is already doing that anyway...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33:09 am »

http://steamaddicts.com/2011/05/terraria-mania/

Interview with Red from Steam Addicts. Won't tell you anything you probably already didn't know, but it quotes some sales numbers, describes the whole team and Red carefully indicates what's probably in the works next vs. what they've not done any work for.

Cue typical developer statement that excites you but honestly always turns out to be marketing:

Quote from: Red
We still have a lot of plans for the game. It was only in development for four months before it was released, and in another four months from now you won’t recognize it anymore.

No offense to Red, but if I had a nickel for everytime.....

And here's this tidbit, which I'm sure we all guessed:

Quote from: Red
Q: Did you guys ever play, or were you at all inspired by, some of the original text-based adventure games such as Zork or Adventure (aka Colossal Cave)?

I never really played either of those games, but I am a huge fan of Dwarf Fortress.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:09 am »

It was obvious that at least one of them loves DF :P

Everyone loves DF.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 27, 2011, 10:51:54 am »

Also, fun fact, most of the original sprite art was done by Red. I wonder how he feels about giving up that kind of control to someone else (other than saying he appreciates how much faster work gets done.) Assuming Red did hand draw most of what's in game....the style and look of the game is entirely his. That's going to gradually change as Tiy does more sprite work. It's been really nice that, up until now, Terraria has had a consistent look. I hope Red can give Tiy more direction in the future.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

Have there been any updates after 1.0.2?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:26 am »

No

(Hint)

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:22 am »

Well, it seems like having a bed far away from the original spawn still does break the game. 1.0.2 didn't fix it after all, it just stops at 94% for me instead.

And my hellfort was coming along so well, too.
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 887