Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261340 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #2280 on: May 27, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »

Behold, the very latest in dwarven engineering!

The Magma-powered Magmabomber!

(with precision-strike funnel addon installed)

Sure, it ain't much of an aerodynamic design, but it's incredibly compact for the multiplication ratio it manages. And it's flying!

Now all we need is custom mobile terrain section support. I.e. "true" flying islands that crash to the ground when some part of them is mined out. Then this monster could actually be a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:24:25 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 27, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

what does everyone do with all of their metal?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:55 pm »

You're insane, you know that?

I approve d('_')

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 27, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »

If you want insane, consider I built it over the course of two blood moons and one goblin invasion. I eventually had to come down and handle the invasion on the ground, because the mages kept spawning around me while the infantry mostly fell down.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:01 pm »

what does everyone do with all of their metal?

Iron gets made into chain, to support copper and gold chandeliers, and occasionally buckets. Gold also makes the occasional candle.

Silver, uh. Um. I occasionally make buildings out of the ore. I guess. Silver doesn't do much outside of (quickly outclassed) weapons/tools/armor. I like the way the ore looks, though. Not gold, but shinier than raw iron or stone. I guess you can make brick out of it, hum...

A+ on the orbital magma cannon. Now knock out all those unsightly walls :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 27, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »

When I tested pyramid-like interspersed blocks, I found that in no way did lava get duplicated by falling onto blocks and splitting apart; it was only duplicated by buckets. X blocks of lava on the input, dropped into a contraption which split and reconcentrated the lava repeatedly, resulted in X blocks of lava at the output.

The thread that was linked to earlier had a design similar to mine which was claimed to duplicate lava, but which didn't actually do so for almost everyone who tried it and reported their results.

So, what I am wondering is this: How exactly is your design supposed to duplicate water or lava? What principle does it operate under? How thoroughly have you tested it? Does it work in both singleplayer and multiplayer? Have other people attempted to replicate your results?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

From what I've seen (I posted that link and haven't tried it) the duplication of water and/or magma happens when server lag, of a sort, occurs and effects large amounts of moving fluids. I've seen water falls freeze in mid-air for 3 or so minutes, then the server just shits a brick or another block gets knocked out and the whole thing comes cascading down. It's for someone else to do the science and document it. But there's definitely something funky going on with the fluid mechanics, whether it's a blockage, lag or duplication issue.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 27, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »

Wish i'd kept those purple blue blocks.

It was fun still. Back to farming magmy.
Everybody!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »

Sean I give you 100000 points for that truely dwarven construction.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 27, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »

When I tested pyramid-like interspersed blocks, I found that in no way did lava get duplicated by falling onto blocks and splitting apart; it was only duplicated by buckets. X blocks of lava on the input, dropped into a contraption which split and reconcentrated the lava repeatedly, resulted in X blocks of lava at the output.

The thread that was linked to earlier had a design similar to mine which was claimed to duplicate lava, but which didn't actually do so for almost everyone who tried it and reported their results.

So, what I am wondering is this: How exactly is your design supposed to duplicate water or lava? What principle does it operate under? How thoroughly have you tested it? Does it work in both singleplayer and multiplayer? Have other people attempted to replicate your results?
Try to replicate it and see for yourself. I've been doing some "proper" research on this, and have, too, found the "pyramid" splitter ineffective, because you can't split the liquid indefinitely. It eventually just fails to flow or disappears, as my larger experiments showed. What's needed is a way to sustain multiple streams, strengthen them as they split. The single-tile "staircase" has proved to be able to do that.

With the setup on the Magmabomber, one full bucket of input lava gets me about 20 tiles of lava total on the output (i.e. 20 buckets). This is not a direct multiplication by 20 - two consecutive buckets yield ~25 tiles. It's dependent on the duration of the flow, not its strength. And since the bucket-duplication method results in a long series of small half-bucket drops, this multiplier is perfect. When one operation per second is sustained on the input (i.e. two clicks per second, one to fill, one to empty the bucket), the rate of output tops out at roughly 1 tile per game tick, as seen by the lava level in the little wooden "beaker" with a one-tile hole staying at roughly 1 full tile while lava constantly flows out.

As for other questions, it hasn't been tested in Multiplayer (I foresee a lagfest), and you may feel free to replicate the design and try it for yourself. No need to go for such a large scale, even a small replicator with a four-lane output will give results, I'd expect.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:46 pm »

Doubleposting for the bump, since this is a demonstration of the operation.
(feel free to disbelieve everything you see)
Spoiler: Phase 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phase 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phase 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phase 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Phase (click to show/hide)

So, there you have it. It works even with larger volumes.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 27, 2011, 01:39:31 pm »

That might be quite effective in a PvP match just rain lava down upon them.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:04 pm »

Hmm... That's a very interesting principal, Sean. Have you tried it with water?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 27, 2011, 02:04:38 pm »

Hmm... That's a very interesting principal, Sean. Have you tried it with water?
Yes, it gets about half the multiplication value of lava. The principle relies on duration, and water flows much quicker. In a similar experiment, 12 tiles of water on input turned into ~29 tiles of water in output.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

Then if you wanted to multiply water you would really need to increase the size of the structure, and set it up to split the water more. Yet is quite an effective system
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 887