Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254531 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #2445 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:01 pm »

Magic missile or flamelash is worth the mana. The ability to send projectiles anywhere on the screen is useful, and the ability to use a magic missile as a portable light or remote-controlled brush-clearer is even more useful (especially since the orb of light is so limited, and terrible when you're running with hermes boots).

The aqua scepter also turns out to be able to do significant amounts of damage to enemies at point-blank range (of course, so can the harpoon if you aim it above the enemy, the sunfury, all the high-end swords, etc), but at some point after a future patch, we may be able to use it on lava to make obsidian.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:14 pm »

Searchin' for a star tonight
never to lose to your dark
Everyday I think of your beautiful smile
I don't wanna lost your smile
I can find the star for you anyway...

FierceFrankie

• Bay Watcher
  • Take me as I am, or watch me as I go. ♥
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2447 on: May 28, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »

I use my mana for my flame lash mostly. I hold it over people who have no light source or to clear bushes and cobwebs, etc. It's also fun to hear people complain about it in pvp. Lol. I get tired of people joining my terraria server that just dupe everything and have infinite dynamite and stars with star cannons and grief everybody.
Leader of The Fierce Force guilds and clans. =]
Join our teamspeak!
Download Teamspeak here.
Address: fiercespeak.sytes.net
Password: kfckoolaid
[TFF]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 28, 2011, 04:12:29 pm »

I'm wondering where the thing about the goblin thief stealing from the piggy bank on the wiki came from. There's no citation, and searching the Terraria online forums for 'goblin thief piggy bank' finds no results, and that whole bit about the thieves stealing from piggy banks was added to the wiki all by one person...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 28, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »

I haven't encountered that either, in fact. so yeah. [Citation needed]

FierceFrankie

• Bay Watcher
  • Take me as I am, or watch me as I go. ♥
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2450 on: May 28, 2011, 04:15:48 pm »

I've had quite a few goblin invasions and I don't think that ever happened. I had platinum in my piggy bank.
Leader of The Fierce Force guilds and clans. =]
Join our teamspeak!
Download Teamspeak here.
Address: fiercespeak.sytes.net
Password: kfckoolaid
[TFF]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 28, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »

Does anyone want to help me with a hypothesis of mine regarding floating islands and mineral generation?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 28, 2011, 04:18:11 pm »

How exactly help you? Got some time right now...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: May 28, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »

Magic missile or flamelash is worth the mana. The ability to send projectiles anywhere on the screen is useful, and the ability to use a magic missile as a portable light or remote-controlled brush-clearer is even more useful (especially since the orb of light is so limited, and terrible when you're running with hermes boots).

Magic Missle in PVP yes, heck it is amazing!

Outside of PVP not so much. Its problem is mostly how slow it is and how fast things respawn. If things didn't respawn almost instantly in this game (and especially online) it would be perfectly fine.

I havn't got Flamelash yet... so I wouldn't know.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 28, 2011, 04:23:19 pm »

How exactly help you? Got some time right now...
Gen small worlds until you find a mountain with silver and gold in it (in the dirt), grab a depth meter, and find the lowest elevation that the minerals show up in.

What I'm thinking is that floating islands exist in a separate mineral layer from the surface, with a minimum elevation such that you usually wouldn't notice, but could be breached by a sufficiently large hill, like the one I found a few minutes ago but don't have a depth meter.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 28, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »

I could give you mine.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 28, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »

So they're not allowing anyone to post mods of any sort on the Terraria Online forums, including texture packs, on the basis that since some mods are going out with the full game client, all mods must be doing that, and since they don't have any established legalese on the matter, they're just forbidding modding or posting of modding content until they come up with something.

While it sucks, they do have some justification. Some people are doing Terraria mods and posting them out Youtube, with free downloads to the full game client. People seem pretty determined to take advantage of the fact Re-Logic doesn't have the time or resources to really do anything about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 28, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

Posting a modified (decompiled, modified, and recompiled) program is pretty much illegal and wrong by any standard (unless the license on it explicitly allows it), and I've noticed one or two things that've been posted that did that. One, for instance, was a thing for editing your map by letting you have infinite resources and god-mode abilities, effectively. In short, it was basically a cheating tool for singleplayer - it had multiplayer disabled, but it wasn't a standalone tool, it was literally Terraria modified. Not even something you could vaguely claim legal justification for, either.

I'm kind of surprised that anyone could think that it was legal or moral to modify Terraria and redistribute it, especially on the official Terraria forums, or to think that they could get away with doing it there.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 28, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

That stuff is just stupid, but that's what moderation is for. Preventing people from posting Texture Pack downloads and instructions on how to modify your own client though....just seems lazy. Especially since they have, oh, like 7 paid moderators now that the forums went over to the Curse people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 28, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »

Posting a modified (decompiled, modified, and recompiled) program is pretty much illegal and wrong by any standard

It depends. Do you mean posting the original program with a few mods... or are you saying posting a program that mods another?

Because frankly modifying a program to suit your needs should be entirely legal and there are ABSOLUTELY no moral ramifications so long as the final product isn't harmful. I know that many companies out there want it to be outright illegal but frankly I think they are in the wrong.

For example if you modified a game to skip the starting commercials. They would want that to be outright illegal (most EULAs actually outright state they don't want you to do that. Too bad EULAs don't have legal power where I live).

Mind you there is another good reason why they would want it to be outright illegal... because companies WANT to be able to hide things on the disk for you to pay for later. They do it on the consoles because there is nothing you can do. They don't do it for PC because your there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:04:15 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 887