Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261305 times)

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How'd you get to it? Google terraria and click on the first link (to terraria.org). If you type it manually the redirect doesn't happen.

EDIT: Unless you have windows. I can't assure the redirect will be harmless at that point.
EDIT2: The site is h++p://sokoloperkovuske.com/in.php?pp=58 (++ added instead of tt so it can't be clicked accidentally)

Interesting; yeah, I can confirm that it does this, and apparently only from Google, so it's looking for the referrer string.

It gives you a 302 HTTP response, and tosses you to the rogue-AV site.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rogue AV? I just get a blank page with no content (view source is blank). Of course, I am using adblock, but it didn't say anything, and I haven't seen it actually block any ads before.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

*puts his shields up and checks out the site*

I too can confirm it redirects to a less than honest looking site, which appears empty with my shields activated.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dunno what purpose terraria.org serves anyway besides game information. All the important stuff is at terrariaonline.com now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't believe that whole argument between the two of them was started by me being opposed to more and more important random item drops. I enjoy creative problem solving, challenge(like trying to figure out how to get my sand and web dungeon to work), and exploration - this game has those in spades and is the reason I love it. But the combat? The combat has never been anything more than an annoyance to me in this game. Even digging is more fun than the freaking combat, at least it feels like I'm getting somewhere when I dig. I had full meteor armor, 2 mana rings and rocket boots before I managed to get a grappling hook because I had so little desire to farm skeletons. In fact, in most games I play, enemies are things to be killed only if you're stupid enough to fail to avoid them, because overcoming the challenge in the quickest and most effective way (especially if that way involves finding a creative way to bypass the challenge completely) is far more enjoyable than holding down the left mouse button while people throw themselves onto your weapon.

I honestly can not see how "here's this guy you know how to beat and can beat easily, now spend two hours killiing him over and over and pray you get lucky enough to grab the thing your looking for" is supposed to be fun. Now, if it was "they only drop this item at this certain time of night" or "during a blood moon" or something like that, that's fun! Suddenly, something happens, and you're under a timer. Can you accomplish the challenge? Can you get there and kill this guy in time? There's a bit of tension and excitement and even potential enjoyment there. But that's not the way they're doing it. Instead, many people seem to be of the opinion that "You know how you like exploring? Well, fuck you. We want you to play the game our way, and that involves fighting boring shit until your fingers bleed, so our exploration rewards only go to people who do that now." That is what I'm opposed to. And that's the path that prioritizing rare enemy loot drops leads too. If that's where the game is going, I want no part of it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:19:49 pm by GlyphGryph »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To add to what gryph is saying, I think that rare item drops should be removed altogether, it should more be a rare monster that ALWAYS drops a rare item.  So if you're digging down and you see a jelly-fish of ultimate doom, you know that if you bother to fight it you'll get some powerful everglow item or something.
Nom nom nom

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That seems a little more bearable. Especially if they had more attacks or effects or whatnotever.
Everybody!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

That does sound nice. There's no effective difference (barring a power hike) except you know when you're gonna get it as opposed to killing thousands of zombies for instance.

Come to think of it, they kinda do that with the vanity item zombies, so it's not an alien concept.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have a problem with rare monsters that always drops rare loot, at all. That always seemed far more like a perk of exploring - a mobile chest you have to kill!

Thats actually a good example. Which would you prefer? A narrow, winding, dangerous tunnel with a single chest at the end full of powerful items, or a wall full of a million chest with a bunch of random items scattered amongst them, most of them empty? One feels special and exciting and like an actual reward. The other feels like you just wasted three hours of your life at a slot machine.

Even if in the end you come out with the same exact loot.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I picked this up for the short while that it was selling for $2.50 on Steam, and I'm certainly getting my money's worth.

However, I think I've run into a problem. I noticed that, as I was going down, I seemed to be trailing an awful lot of water with me... like, cavern-filling amounts. I decided to use one of the mapping programs, and it does definately seem like I've got a problem.

Here's an early screenshot (cut to just the important part:)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a later screenshot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the area covered by water has grown immensely, but way up at the top of my tunnel, there's been no decline in the waterlevel. Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to need to start a new world (or get used to drowning?)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Build downwards instead of simply digging.

In other words, once you reach water, build a pillar downwards, then mine out the middle. No water anymore!

Also, water has that tendency to dupe when falling down slopes.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Rogue AV? I just get a blank page with no content (view source is blank). Of course, I am using adblock, but it didn't say anything, and I haven't seen it actually block any ads before.

Adblock won't say anything. The ads just get prevented from loading.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

I don't have a problem with rare monsters that always drops rare loot, at all. That always seemed far more like a perk of exploring - a mobile chest you have to kill!

Thats actually a good example. Which would you prefer? A narrow, winding, dangerous tunnel with a single chest at the end full of powerful items, or a wall full of a million chest with a bunch of random items scattered amongst them, most of them empty? One feels special and exciting and like an actual reward. The other feels like you just wasted three hours of your life at a slot machine.

Even if in the end you come out with the same exact loot.

No-grind is a very basic principle of game design in every genre except for MMOs. In an MMO, any time a player spends grinding is time that they'll be paying for a subscription and therefore time that you make money. Then World of Warcraft happened and people went "Oh! That game made a lot of money! Let's try to do some of the things they did to make some money ourselves!" even when those things didn't actually make sense.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No-grind is a very basic principle of game design in every genre except for MMOs.

You forgot Diablo.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

No-grind is a very basic principle of game design in every genre except for MMOs.

You forgot Diablo.
That's not grind, it's actually a pretty well-done power curve... on normal difficulty anyway. After that? Well higher difficulties need unlocked, so you're really just punishing yourself at that point. Besides, Diablo is rather similar to most MMOs in the metagame of higher levels.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 887