Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254501 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - Updated: You can now dress as a ninja! And more NPCs and enemies
« Reply #5385 on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:42 am »

Redigit: Players enjoying themselves by doing things I didn't predict? NERF EVERYTHING!
I am not necessarily seeing a problem here. Seems like the Modding Conundrum.

Sometimes a creator needs to step back and see if something is REALLY a bad thing.

For example the Teslagun nerf in Alien Swarm, which wasn't for balance reasons but because the creators didn't like that the players were using it as a legitimate weapon.

Or just about anything Sakurai did during Super Smash Bros Brawl because he didn't like people being competative.

Sometimes you just gotta let your players have their fun, even if it wasn't your intent. HECK, take credit if you can.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:24:46 am by Neonivek »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: October 10, 2011, 12:25:50 am »

I understand the annoyance when something harmless and amusing is cut, but in an actively developed game unintended features are gonna get cut because going down the path of making every bug viable is a recipe for bloatware. Developers need to stay somewhat strict with their design document until every planned feature is added in and they can tweak with stuff.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: October 10, 2011, 12:30:19 am »

I understand the annoyance when something harmless and amusing is cut, but in an actively developed game unintended features are gonna get cut because going down the path of making every bug viable is a recipe for bloatware. Developers need to stay somewhat strict with their design document until every planned feature is added in and they can tweak with stuff.

As I said, sometimes a creator needs to step back and see if what they had not intended is a bad thing.

Not sure what it is in this case. Actually to admit I have no idea what you are talking about... Though honestly given that it is Terraria and that Rededit's default option is to Nerf everything... it could be anything (and most of which I'd agree with the player)

Though I guess it is because I can see what Rededit is trying to do long in advance. Less optimisation and longer achievement curve. I am not sure if it because Rededit has a LOT of foresight and sees that his game cannot survive his development curve without making it a marathon or that he lacks such forsight that he doesn't see that he is sort of diluting his own product. Heck there are many design choices he is making and I can't tell if it is because of a strong foresight of a great vision or a weak forsight of a haphazard one. Though it doesn't matter to me because both visions are not beneficial to me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:38:15 am by Neonivek »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:59 am »

That's true, but ocean-into-hell isn't a bug, it's a natural result of combining Terraria's environment with player agency. If I were developing the game, I can't think of any possible reason I would spend valuable coding time making sure water evaporates in hell. There's no reason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: October 10, 2011, 12:42:09 am »

Atmosphere?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: October 10, 2011, 12:44:46 am »

That's true, but ocean-into-hell isn't a bug, it's a natural result of combining Terraria's environment with player agency. If I were developing the game, I can't think of any possible reason I would spend valuable coding time making sure water evaporates in hell. There's no reason.

I have to agree. You are taking a game and you are telling the players to change the world.

However the second they decide "you know what? I am going to do this" it is nerfed twice.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:54 am »

There's no reason.
He wants hell to remain an inhospitable place that is not made instantly incredibly easy by a rather simple project. It also makes obsidian farming much easier, something he may not want. Seeing as hell has been made a lot more dangerous and mining hellstone drops lava, it appears he has a very clear idea of hell being incredibly dangerous.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable reason.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: October 10, 2011, 12:52:46 am »

There's no reason.
He wants hell to remain an inhospitable place that is not made instantly incredibly easy by a rather simple project. It also makes obsidian farming much easier, something he may not want. Seeing as hell has been made a lot more dangerous and mining hellstone drops lava, it appears he has a very clear idea of hell being incredibly dangerous.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable reason.

Dang Simple projects that can take hours! This is where my Foresight unknown comes in.

I don't know... He is just seconds away from taking away previous armors recipes and requiring some overly elaborate recipe to even create them... No wait he did that a long time ago.

Well it isn't like hell objects take a rediculous amount of hellstone... wait a minute it does!

WELL it will be worth it, afterall the Hell armor is the best armor in the game! What was that? It was nerfed so it is on par with the other armors?

I don't know... I am sort of seeing a pattern here and that pattern is CTF
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:55:06 am by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: October 10, 2011, 01:01:26 am »

It wasn't a huge deal to me, personally. I think it had as much to do with finding an easy, less process intensive way to handle players draining water into hell. I know it made the server run like crap every time we did it.

Then again, my expectations of FUN! in Terraria aren't at DF-levels.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: October 10, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

I think this is the major point people miss. Terraria was a 10 dollar game that took something like a year to develop. How many hours of fun did you get out of it? Why are you expecting more?

Anyways, a couple of friends recently picked up the game and I got to go back through and play it from the begining again. It is still good fun. Things have changed and items have been nerfed, but to chalk it up to "Reddit only wants people to have fun his way" is under selling the product pretty bad in my opinion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: October 10, 2011, 01:09:08 am »

I think this is the major point people miss. Terraria was a 10 dollar game that took something like a year to develop. How many hours of fun did you get out of it? Why are you expecting more?

It is to me that I should always expect people to excell. To expect anything less would be a waste of my time.

Also I can always compare it to other $10 games. Many who I consider to be much better.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:12:37 am by Neonivek »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5396 on: October 10, 2011, 01:12:12 am »

I guess what people are trying to say is that while you don't HAVE to like the "draining water into hell evaporates it" change, it still has a perfectly viable reason for doing so, which is to make hell inhospitable and more dangerous and generally kind've a pain in the ass.

And molten armor wasn't nerfed, it got a nerf in defense, and a buff in damage, providing an alternative to shadow armor. I never really liked the old molten armor myself, seemed kinda boring. :P

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:16 am »

It is to me that I should always expect people to excell. To expect anything less would be a waste of my time.

Uhhh... okay? So it is better to be disappointed all the time than to accept something as good enough?

If you spend your entire life saying "You would be the perfect girl friend if..." you are going to end up covered in cat hair and lonely.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: October 10, 2011, 01:14:29 am »

And molten armor wasn't nerfed, it got a nerf in defense, and a buff in damage, providing an alternative to shadow armor.

Go even further back then. The top-tier armors are now pretty much on equal footing.

Uhhh... okay? So it is better to be disappointed all the time than to accept something as good enough?

Better to be surprised by greatness then to seek out mediocrity.

Also I am able to seperate my expectations with reality. It is not in fault to expect greatness but in condeming that which is not.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:20 am »

Better to be surprised by greatness then to seek out mediocrity.

But you aren't being surprised by greatness, you are totally missing it and instead saying "Well, that would be better if..."

Everything could be better so if you are searching for something that can't be improved, you aren't going to find anything.

Sand box games always present this strange problem. Players can't say "I beat it! That was fun!" Instead they are left to toil in the world and think about what they wish it was. Like anything, the early excitement fades, but with theme park games you have that last kick at the end to go "Yeah! WOOT! Victory!". Sandboxes on the other hand always seem to leave people going, "Thats it? Why didn't they x."
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 887