Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261579 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11400 on: June 26, 2015, 07:08:07 pm »

The trailer shows a whip that practically makes you ignore gravity. There's alternatives.
To the Cobalt Shield, Shiny Red Balloon, &c.? Ha. Ha. Ha.

--

Do you mind if we bring in extant characters (obviously with the health and mana upgrades 'cause you can't remove those) but no kit? That's much less of a pain in the ass than starting a new one for every server.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:32 pm »

In past multiplayer servers, I've just imported items like that from a single player world as the server has reached that level of progression.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »

Not sure why every server host thinks everyone wants to grind through the entire game again and again and again and again.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: June 26, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »

Everybody wants to play through the game, and if you're going to host you're probably less likely to deal with other servers? Personally I mostly play through each update the once, so this sounds fine to me.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »

Not sure why every server host thinks everyone wants to grind through the entire game again and again and again and again.

Yes, let's play a different game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: June 26, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »

Because not everyone has a maxed-out character and actually do, and having one overpowered person murdering everything ruins the entire experience?

I mean, really, it's not like you have to sit there and grind through everything in a game that involves virtually no grinding on a server. Odds are we'll hit hard mode in, like, 3 days. Once we hit hard mode, anything's game.

Health/MP != murdering everything.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:56 pm »

... I'unno about you, but it's a lot easier to take a full health character a murderin' than it is a unbuffed one, f'me, even with equipment otherwise identical.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: June 27, 2015, 12:05:08 am »

I am surprised the games weren't made with the intent of big servers in mind. Like... possibly having multiple worlds in a server.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:00 am »

I am surprised the games weren't made with the intent of big servers in mind. Like... possibly having multiple worlds in a server.

Oh, you can do that no issue.

So then why not just set it up so there is a social world, a resource world, and one hardcore world?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:37:00 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: June 27, 2015, 12:37:52 am »

You can even phase out resource servers after they start drying up.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: June 27, 2015, 05:51:32 am »

That sounds like a great idea.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: June 27, 2015, 08:33:29 am »

For what it's worth, I imagine that's because Red and co. weren't actually the most impressive of programmers when the project started up. Dude was a practiced and motivated amateur, but mostly self-taught, iirc, and from what I recall people speaking of it Terraria's netcode isn't the most amazing in the land. I'd be fairly comfortable betting that the game wasn't designed that sort of thing just because the programming team didn't think they could handle it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11412 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

If we're doing multiple worlds, is there any real reason to wait for the patch? Could have prepatch and postpatch worlds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: June 27, 2015, 01:42:10 pm »

1. Hardmode world. Make this the first world, since it's going to get trashed anyways.
2. Megaproject/village/social world.
3. Resource worlds. One at a time. Hardmode them after the main world is.

If we need it, a new world for PvP if we're going to build a big thing. Last time we tried to do that when there were servers up (back when there was the explosive-trap bandito), assholes stole/broke half of what was built and other people cried because they didn't want to lay down teleporters or spend three seconds more flying over something.

... I'unno about you, but it's a lot easier to take a full health character a murderin' than it is a unbuffed one, f'me, even with equipment otherwise identical.
Yeah, but it doesn't mean you aren't still whacking things with an iron pickaxe or whatever. All it effectively means is that you die less to the starter stuff. Also means there's less competition over fallen stars and heart crystals.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11414 on: June 27, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »

Yeah I'd say

1. Social world, for building and megaprojects. No large scale digging here, no hardmode ever.
2. Mining world, regenerated/replaced when somewhat exhausted. Hardmode enabled?
3. Adventure world, hardmode can be enabled whenever people like. This one is also regenerated/replaced when a general consensus is reached, like when the dungeon is fully raided or something.
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 887