Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261127 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12285 on: July 31, 2015, 02:43:57 pm »

I remember reading that the shiny stone works while moving at maximum speed in a mine cart, so long as you do not accelerate.
I just tried that, it doesn't seem to work.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12286 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »

It took so long and much grinding, but finally got ancient cobalt armor set :D I could have gone with jungle armor for the same stats...but that looks kinda ugly to me lol.

But boy was getting the ancient cobalt armor a challenge :P I ended up killing 600 wasps, 300 or so man eater plants, bunch of slimes and ended up with 7 ancient cobalt leggings (the game kept giving me leggings), 1 helmet and 1 chest piece lol.

I was about to give up too and try again another day, and then the chest piece finally dropped pretty much near the end of my game time lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12287 on: July 31, 2015, 09:45:59 pm »

I am a bit surprised you did that given that Ancient Cobalt armor is... well... not useless

But both Jungle and Hellstone armor are equal to it (actually Hellstone is probably slightly better)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:00 pm »

I don't barely use melee, so molten armor I don't plan to use. I was using Crimson armor, and that was nice with the health regen but didn't really help that much. On expert, still get owned by Skeletron...and health regen didn't help at all. And I find Crimson a LOT more useful than molten. All molten does is give melee damage and defense, and the melee damage is completely useless for me. I use ranged/magic.

Jungle armor would be the easiest to have gone for, but it looks so ugly lol. It is the ugliest armor in the game to me. I don't like green armor, green clothing, green weapons :P

So instead I went for Ancient Cobalt because it looks good and gives me tons of magic. So its pretty much either Ancient or Crimson before hardmode as far as the best equipment I can get for my play style. Except, on expert like I said, skeletron just pwns me over and over. However, Ancient, I took out a hand before he killed me and I wasn't really trying that hard...I could never do that in Crimson lol and I must have died literally 17 or 18 times before giving up. I get a lot more damage and magic to use with Ancient (which is the same as jungle, but vastly better looking).

Molten kinda looks ugly too (to me), Crimson and Ancient look a lot better.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12289 on: July 31, 2015, 10:12:55 pm »

This early in the game though the boosts don't matter at all. Especially for magic.

The armor is what you are banking on.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: July 31, 2015, 11:18:57 pm »

Well, I made molten armor. I already had all the supplies. Skeletron still pwned me lol. I dunno how one is supposed to beat him.

My friend joined onto my world (made a multi game out of it) and he has full crimson armor and even both of us got slaughtered by skeletron.

I can beat him easily on normal, but on expert he pwns both of us.

The funny thing is, molten armor is just as I thought...still fails :P The extra defense doesn't help on expert :P

We tried a second time and I wore my mage armor again, and he kept his crimson. We took out two hands and almost his skull. As a test, I put my molten armor back on and we did much less damage. Maybe its just RNG? Or maybe the mage armor helps with damage or something I dunno. Either way, I much prefer having tons of damage and mana and all my ranged spells, as I hate getting close to mobs in games.

How the heck do you beat skeletron on expert lol. We can both beat him solo in gold armor on normal. But in high end non-hardcore gear, we just get slaughtered on expert and that is with both of us fighting him. Do you need hardmode items to beat skeletron on expert? xD

(edit:

We could just try to take on the wall flesh. Because we both have the skeleton key things from the dungeon and got a bunch of hell weapons from our singleplayer normal mode games. But the wall flesh is even harder than skeletron xD Maybe we need to just play on a normal world lol)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:24:55 pm by Vendayn »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12291 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:19 pm »

it depends how you are trying to fight him... but for the most part you want to stop him from chain hitting you and from you slowing down after a hit.

You also have to learn how to avoid his arms. They aren't random.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12292 on: August 01, 2015, 05:26:09 am »

To kill Expert Skeletron, either:

Skip directly to Wall o' Flesh (make sure to have a minecart track system of around 999 or 1998 tracks long), pwn him with stuff you get from Hardmode, OR

Get a shield of Cthulhu (EoC Expert Drop), when he swipes his arms, dodge away, and make sure your arena has somewhere you can hide inside or break his direct line of sight. To weaken Skeletron's defense on Expert, you have to break his arms. Breaking his arms causes him to spin at you more frequently, and when he stops spinning, he shoots homing heads that pass through walls, UNLESS you can hide behind an area where he doesn't have direct line of sight. He stops shooting is why, when you hide. Make sure to dash away from Skeletron when he starts spinning, which is where the Shield of Cthulhu comes in handy, since it provides a sizeable speed boost to move away from the guy when he spins, which is usually fast enough to catch up with you.

It might be worthwhile to use a Yo-Yo against him, or use the Molten Fury for its high base damage per shot, bypassing his ungodly defense for that level.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:28:01 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12293 on: August 01, 2015, 07:45:17 am »

he shoots homing heads that pass through walls, UNLESS you can hide behind an area where he doesn't have direct line of sight. He stops shooting is why, when you hide.
I'm pretty sure this doesn't hold true though. That, or I've discovered a bug. Because when I was fighting the skely, his homing skulls were happily crashing into the dirt ramp/floor I've made. OR if you specifically meant "walls" not "blocks", but then that's kinda silly game design I guess.

Other than that, yeah, shield of Cthulhu is nice, but Spectre or at least rocket boots is a must too, and also double jump comes in handy. And yo-yos are not to be underestimated, for better or worse.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12294 on: August 01, 2015, 07:51:55 am »

I meant blocks. That's odd behavior; Yrimir himself did that thingy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kp8MNnG7Do
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:43 am »

Yeah his skulls don't go through blocks anymore.  Not unless he fires from inside a block, then it passes out through but then breaks on the next set.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12296 on: August 01, 2015, 09:32:10 am »

Other than that, yeah, shield of Cthulhu is nice, but Spectre or at least rocket boots is a must too, and also double jump comes in handy

You need both (well ok you don't need Rocket boots), because without the Shield of Cthulhu any hit against you will slow you down, as will needing to change direction.

One of the reasons why a dash is so essential.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12297 on: August 01, 2015, 09:35:13 am »

I find you can make due without shield/dash as long as you have another very important item.  Someone to meat shield for you and draw all the aggro :P
Nom nom nom

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:26 am »

Me and my brother have had major issues with skeletron.

The primary reason for me is that he'll start doing his spinny head thing. I'll get stuck inside him and be unable to escape because of knockback constantly whacking m back into the centre of his head, and he does enough damage to me to kill me every time he does that, despite the molten armour.

What weapons do you use? What I did is I just made pillars on the two ends of the dungeon roof and Minishark'd him to death while flying above his head. Crimtane armor helps, if it's in your world.

EDIT: Ah, expert mode. I was really concerned that someone had a problem with Skeletron.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12299 on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:50 am »

Me and my brother have had major issues with skeletron.

The primary reason for me is that he'll start doing his spinny head thing. I'll get stuck inside him and be unable to escape because of knockback constantly whacking m back into the centre of his head, and he does enough damage to me to kill me every time he does that, despite the molten armour.

This is why the Shield of Cthulhu is so important.
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 887