Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Defence Question  (Read 6277 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Defence Question
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:58:50 am »

Can a small amount of magma and a large, forbidden stockpile of booze be used as a sort of IED in a guerilla war against invaders like goblins, elven caravans, or gorillas?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Defence Question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:43 am »

!!SCIENCE!!, my son.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:01:05 am »

Even for the good of scientific research, there are some lines you should not cross.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:06:54 am »

boozesplosions do no damage iirc...  so it would look awesome, but the functionality is lacking.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:48 am »

boozesplosions do no damage iirc...  so it would look awesome, but the functionality is lacking.

Unless I wind up with a bunch of !!Goblins!!, !!Elves!!, or !!Gorillas!!.  As an added bonus, the !!Elves!! might start a forest fire.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:13 pm »

Instead of asking, go try it then, tell us how it goes.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »

Even for the good of scientific research, there are some lines you should not cross.

This is Dwarf Fortress. There is no such thing as a line you should not cross.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:17:23 am »

As an added bonus, the !!Elves!! might start a forest fire.
Oh, the irony...

SUCK IT, HIPPIES!
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:04 am »

Instead of asking, go try it then, tell us how it goes.

I. . . um, set up a test trap using cats.  Didn't work.  Welll, sort of didn't work.  I forgot to forbid a door, and wound up with !!cats!! and !!kittens!! running around what quickly turned into my !!fotress!!. 

Things went a bit downhill from there.  And I missed the elves.  i might try again, except this time, using caged kittens, magma and a booze stockpile.  The goal is to have invaders chase after the !!cats!! and engage in hand-to-paw combat.  As a great philosopher once said, give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep hime warm for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:33:20 am by Knick »

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

As a great philosopher once said, give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep hime warm for the rest of his life.

What, you pithy or wise from a Dwarf Philsopher?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26:18 pm »

It used to be, that elven caravans that could not leave the map went insane. If it is still true, it has possibilities.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 12:10:28 am »

It used to be, that elven caravans that could not leave the map went insane. If it is still true, it has possibilities.
Does lighting them on fire and dousing them with water help?  What if you repeat the procedure endlessly?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 12:37:43 am »

Perhaps dumping crafts made from wood into their prison would expedite matters
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:59:46 am »

Well now I just want mod that adds blackpowder.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

Well now I just want mod that adds blackpowder.

I thought of that, although I have no experience with mods. 

When a barrell of booze catches on fire, you could treat it as an object that has fallen (ie it is dashed to pieces).  Then treat each piece as an object thrown as in combat, possibly while burning.

The result would be an explosive chain reaction in the booze stockpile with burning shrapnel everywhere.

At last I have found my sig!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:30:14 am by Knick »
Pages: [1] 2