Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: animals cancel graze: MORTAL KOMBAT!  (Read 8331 times)

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animals cancel graze: MORTAL KOMBAT!
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »

So I've got a small herd of horses.  Nothing major, just lucked out in getting a breeding pair to pull the wagon at Embark. (Instead of the usual one horse one muskox. Makes one wonder how the dwarves navigate with the cart veering west all the time.)

Of course they're pretty good at mowing the lawn down to bare rock.  Which means the occasional re-zoning of pastures around the keep.  Flat plainy area up north, few pools, rather cold.  Plenty of room for the morons.

Anyway, I just now checked the pasture and noticed all the horses bunched up in the Northwest corner again.  So we moved them over to a grassy area and started checking the beasts over for injuries due to fighting. lots of bruises and dented skulls. One of the buggers was missing a hoof and a tooth... (good thing we're keeping it for food and not riding.)

Anyway, why don't we get an announcement when there's a fight? If anything else just to alert me that something needs my attention.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:57:17 pm by Dwarftosser »

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: animals cancel graze: MORTAL KOMBAT!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »

'r'
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:43 am »

More a bug than a lack of feature.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:07:58 am »

you need to draw up separate, smaller pastures and sequester them that way. Keeping them all in one big pasture ends up with a hoof through a skull.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:32 am »

Why can't they all just get along??

I'm kinda wishing for a feature where all of the horses gang up on the smallest one...

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:37 pm »

you need to draw up separate, smaller pastures and sequester them that way. Keeping them all in one big pasture ends up with a hoof through a skull.

I honestly tried that once.  one animal per pasture. 4x4 lawns.  was a logistic nightmare once the migrant waves started coming in.  Opted for a fortress wide bbq to solve the problem.

In this fort I'm using 7 6X11 lawns with about 2 to 3 horses in each, roughly half kept "fallow" (or whatever you call it where the lot grows back.) and keeping to just one species (horses). So far it's working better.  Had my first slaughter this morning which brought in almost 90 "meat" products and a stockpile worth of bone bolts. 

Still they have to be moved occasionally. a nice little "psst, your animals are fighting" at the bottom of the screen would be nice.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:23 pm »

I think you can tweak this by modding the announcements.txt file
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

Makes one wonder how the dwarves navigate with the cart veering west all the time.

Every few miles, they stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »

I think you can tweak this by modding the announcements.txt file

It would be nice to have a somewhat greater degree of control and fine-tuning within said file (like the ability to limit announcements for a given event type to only appearing when they happen to certain categories of creatures; ie domestic animals vs wild animals vs citizens vs merchants vs diplomats vs invaders)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:27:51 pm »

Yeah, I wish there was more control over the crap the 7 dorfs have on default on embark. The 3 layers of dresses on male dorfs and 27 different items of garbage clothing they wear, also, who knew that Ambushers start off with crossbows and ammo, but not leather armor anymore?

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:09 am »

Makes one wonder how the dwarves navigate with the cart veering west all the time.

Every few miles, they stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.
This needs to go on the wiki! The dwarven way to navigate!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:44:51 am »

Sigged.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:48:10 am by Jacos »
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Orealisk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »

While this would be a nifty feature to avoid serious animal injuries, it would get very annoying when you're someone that has too many animals to count, and especially god awful amounts of egg laying animals that often end up with 20 babies each all kicked up ramps, walls, and who knows where else by that llama. Having an alert system is great for those with only a couple, but it needs to be modifiable to turn off or only report some so those with a lot of animals aren't royally annoyed.

Needs something to the effect of job cancellations. On, off, or some.
Quantum Dumps Are For Sissies.

Giant Dumps That Bog Pathing Are For The Strong.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

I think that what we actually want is a "pasture is depleted" message, because that's why most of the fights start and that's also when action's needed. Of course, automatic pasture cycling would be even better, but that's probably just a dream.

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »

I think that what we actually want is a "pasture is depleted" message, because that's why most of the fights start and that's also when action's needed. Of course, automatic pasture cycling would be even better, but that's probably just a dream.

Assign a dwarf a job of Rancher who's task is to move animals around pasture zones that are active. A pasture becomes inactive once depleted and takes a manual Set Active to re-enable it's use. Each pasture is assigned much like a stockpile of what animals can go in the pasture. The rancher handles the task of moving the livestock to appropriate pastures as they deplete and are marked active.
Pages: [1] 2