Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 85831 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciation Conference
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2011, 03:58:55 am »

Doesn't imply there's only one world either.
But I stand corrected - its every region is unique and the traits may vary.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:59 am »

Hmm, fair enough.  Yet, most things are identical except for the landscape.  I'm looking forward to the time that all creatures can get a small amount of random wiggle in their raws.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2011, 04:09:16 am »

Ohmygosh... Just imagine, if we all submitted our favourite worlds regions, stuck 'em together into one world and created... Oh Armok it would be beautiful. [/derail]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:22 am »

IIRC, kobolds don't have tails. I fixed it anyway :P.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2011, 04:56:46 pm »

Kobolds are small, scaled lizard-like creatures. They tend to live in warmer regions, and love populating dungeons. They're generally disgusting, far more filthy than even the most repugnant ogre. Adventurers should have no trouble fighting them, as they tend to run away. They may be a danger in packs although.

THEY ARE NOT CUTE. BTW, That's from the DND universe. "Cutebolds"? What the hell? These things are like mini demon-dragon-things. Not cute at all, and they smell. Bad.

Lrn2fantasynub

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:52 pm »

Kobolds are small, scaled lizard-like creatures. They tend to live in warmer regions, and love populating dungeons. They're generally disgusting, far more filthy than even the most repugnant ogre. Adventurers should have no trouble fighting them, as they tend to run away. They may be a danger in packs although.

THEY ARE NOT CUTE. BTW, That's from the DND universe. "Cutebolds"? What the hell? These things are like mini demon-dragon-things. Not cute at all, and they smell. Bad.

Lrn2fantasynub

Kobolds are bipedal, dog-like creatures with fur. They aren't lizards.
Lrn2fantasynub.
And, more importantly,
Lrn2notuseoverusedmemesinaplacethatdoesn'tembracememesnub.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

Lrn2fantasynub

Lrn2fantasynub.
And, more importantly,

First: What's a meme?

Second: You obviously don't know fantasy. J.R Tolkien made fantasy creatures what they are; - Dwarves are short, hairy bearded midgets, elves are tall, fair-skinned, pointy-eared freaks, orcs are large, muscular and grey-green, goblins are kinda like small, pure green orcs (Without the muscles), and Kobolds are small, scaly creatures.

Both from the Dungeons & Dragons universe AND J.R Tolkien's depicts kobolds as what I said. The large, dog-like creatures are called GNOLLS.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1042&q=Kobold&gbv=2&oq=Kobold&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1521l2124l0l2202l6l4l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Long like, ugh. It's google images. Almost 95% of the kobolds there are scaled.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1042&q=Warcraft+3+gnoll&gbv=2&oq=Warcraft+3+gnoll&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=207l2216l0l2328l16l8l0l0l0l0l464l997l2-2.0.1l3l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Gnoll&oq=Gnoll&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=0l0l1l4245l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c597970cbae8f806&biw=1920&bih=1042

THAT is a gnoll. A small-medium sized hairy, dog-like creature.

Jesus, you kids never know fantasy.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »

Lrn2fantasynub

Lrn2fantasynub.
And, more importantly,

Second: You obviously don't know fantasy. J.R Tolkien made fantasy creatures what they are; - Dwarves are short, hairy bearded midgets, elves are tall, fair-skinned, pointy-eared freaks, orcs are large, muscular and grey-green, goblins are kinda like small, pure green orcs (Without the muscles), and Kobolds are small, scaly creatures.

Both from the Dungeons & Dragons universe AND J.R Tolkien's depicts kobolds as what I said. The large, dog-like creatures are called GNOLLS.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1042&q=Kobold&gbv=2&oq=Kobold&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1521l2124l0l2202l6l4l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1042&q=Warcraft+3+gnoll&gbv=2&oq=Warcraft+3+gnoll&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=207l2216l0l2328l16l8l0l0l0l0l464l997l2-2.0.1l3l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Gnoll&oq=Gnoll&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=0l0l1l4245l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c597970cbae8f806&biw=1920&bih=1042

Read the Dwarf Fortress description.

:|

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »

Lrn2fantasynub

Lrn2fantasynub.
And, more importantly,

DF didn't create fantasy. I tend to go with the general opinion, rather than one game's views.

Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either

A. Dwarves.
B. Magma.
C. Killing Kittens.
D. Kobolds.

BTW, I fall into category C.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:57 pm »

Lrn2fantasynub

Lrn2fantasynub.
And, more importantly,

DF didn't create fantasy. I tend to go with the general opinion, rather than one game's views.

Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either

A. Dwarves.
B. Magma.
C. Killing Kittens.
D. Kobolds.

BTW, I fall into category C.
We're having a cutebold discussion about DF kobolds, not the lizards in D&D

I fall into catagories B C and D.

Dorfs are cool too :3

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »

So, wait...  Did you seriously just say "I don't care what the game says, this is how DnD and Tolkien put it, so that's how it is."

If the game defines a cyclops with wings, are you going to ignore it as it flies over your walls?

Also, why the hell is Tolkien (one individual) and DnD (one money-hungry franchise) able to define things like that?  A big part of fantasy, perhaps the biggest and only part, is that a huge chunk of it is imagination.  If you're allowing one person or one board game to limit your views, then you're doing a serious discredit to yourself and to gaming as a whole.  You should, literally, be ashamed of yourself.  I'm not just saying that to be cute either.  If you have sunk so low that you gobble down whatever one person said and spout it as solid truth, then you are living in one of the worst ways imaginable.  Tolkien doesn't matter.  Tolkien was one guy who wrote a popular book series and that should NEVER allow anyone to have that much sway over your opinions.  He was just a guy, born raised and died like anyone else, but people assign him a godlike status because he made fantasy into mainstream.  Same with DnD.  Great game, sure, but it's just a game.  The rules and the species and descriptions were written by someone sitting in a studio, they weren't hand-delivered by the Fantasy Deity and set in stone as "this is the only way fantasy exists".

You're free to disagree with us.  Kobolds don't have to be cute for you.  But for you to say "it's impossible for kobolds to have fur" is the most blatant pile of BS that I've heard in the longest time and you should REALLY try to broaden your views a little.  My Kobolds are fuzzy and they noserub.  Yours don't have to be.  You're free to disagree, but you're not allowed to tell me that my view of of things is wrong, not when the entire creature is purely defined by imagination.  If this was a real graphical game then you could point and say "those are horns" but you cannot point at a "k" and say "those are scales".  DF's utter lack of hard descriptions means that it's up for the player to envision the scenario, but you don't seem to get that at all.  You've let a man 40 years dead tell you what to think.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dude. What Toady says goes in Toady's universe. Which actually means our Kobolds are little sadistic monkeys so we can't really tell you off for that... Everyone has different headcanon, don't try and impose yours on us; the last guy who did...

We don't talk about Vader22 anymore.

NINJA'D by Girlinhat going off on a motherfucker. Goddamn, girl.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

thehippopotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »

My what a civilized conversation! Anyway, the game has ascii graphics, you can imagine a kobold to be whatever the hell you want it to be, its what makes games like DF so great. For example, I prefer to think of them as small, ratlike humanoids equally filled with greed and terror, it fits their behavior well after all... Oh, and yes I'd hug one, that is if it wasn't almost certain to stab me if I tried.
*In reasons you love DF thread*
57. You ask people for tasks and are disappointed when they don't tell you to kill a Winged Iron Giant Lobster that lives in a makeshift shrine.

Quote from Girlinhat:
"Dwarf up.  Don your leather armor and wooden axe, and go slaughter 10,000 zombie bull sharks.  Your beard has lost its luster in these years of plenty."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2011, 09:15:41 pm »

If you are playing a game like DnD and you never make anything up, you are doing it wrong.
And on variations of fantasy creatures, we are already diverging from Tolkien with the fact that female dwarfs appear ever. And the cannibal elves.

Besides, murderous little lizard creatures can still be cute.

>Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either...
You forgot elaborate death traps, pointless doomsday devices, and Menacing Spikes.
(I am a death trap lover myself.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2011, 09:20:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dude. What Toady says goes in Toady's universe. Which actually means our Kobolds are little sadistic monkeys so we can't really tell you off for that... Everyone has different headcanon, don't try and impose yours on us; the last guy who did...

We don't talk about Vader22 anymore.

NINJA'D by Girlinhat going off on a motherfucker. Goddamn, girl.
Then why the hell are you yelling at me?

I already said the DF kobolds have fur and doglike ears.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23