Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263322 times)

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #300 on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:48 am »

OK I teleported to the tutorial room basement :P
BTW does anything happen when u get the "You hurt your feet on the pile of rubble" message? Does radio do anthing except "This is the debug radio msg"? Is it possible to make rags from clothes? Why zombies respawn after reloading a weapon? Can I save during tutorial?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:53:54 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2011, 03:57:43 am »

I need this bug fixed or I'll go into depression! D:

EDIT: wait a moment whales, this is weird, I went back to my older version and I get the same male and female names error too, I guess it's an error on my side, sorry for the false alarm. But I have read and write access... weird...

Never mind I found out the problem, I placed them in the "documents" place and used a launcher. I had to use the terminal, enter my password, then only execute the program manually. moved it somewhere else where it WORKS with a launcher this time. Nice game :).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:53:34 am by justinlee999 »

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:35 am »

Alright, Here's my guide
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank's for this.

Question to anyone who can answer, I used this guide, is there a way I can simply boot Cataclysm now without having to go through all of those steps? I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread but there's 21 pages now and I have to get to bed right about now.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 28, 2011, 06:03:21 am »

Alright, Here's my guide
Thank's for this.

Question to anyone who can answer, I used this guide, is there a way I can simply boot Cataclysm now without having to go through all of those steps? I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread but there's 21 pages now and I have to get to bed right about now.
Make a launcher out of it. Select "execute with terminal" or something like that instead of "execute", and make sure you set the permissions to read & write just to be safe. Also, I would open the terminal, go to Edit > Profile Preferences, tick "Use Custom Default Size" and change the rows value to "25" instead of "24", that way you don't have to resize everytime you boot the game. Enjoy a double-click launch game.

Also, while trying to quick travel to the forest, when I hovered my selector too far away, it crashed with the first name loop I previously mentioned, it was running fine before. It also ran fine after that... hmm...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:22:36 am by justinlee999 »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:24 am »

So some progress on my windows build

The game is per say playable expect these bugs

Exiting from map
Trying to look into the help topics
Char stats crashes you
Properly more.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:10 am »

I actually got a good run going, but it ended when my character save was lost. :'( Also, I get quite a bit of latency when I try to play the thing, every button press takes about 1-2 seconds to register.

I'm gonna hold off on playing until someone can manage to get the thing to run locally.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:41 am »

The thing with the multiplayer build is that items are really really hard to find, while there are an abundance of items in the single player build. Also, multiplayer has tons of dead bodies for me to train my butchering on :P.

EDIT: Aaaand I lost my save due to a crash. Can't play again because the game can't load NPC names, but turning off debug mode works. No permission problems this time, what is going on!?

Whales, I think I've found the problem to crashing (for me anyway).

I always crash when I'm near NPCs, even on the SSH version. This time, I ignored the NPC name unable to load error. So there was this NPC without name, he talked to me, I asked for advice, but the game couldn't load the advise too, so the dialog just closed, without anything else. I think he proceeded to pick up something, and there is where I crashed to desktop.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:51:22 am by justinlee999 »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:28 am »

Put the data folder in the same folder as the game.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2011, 08:51:47 am »

Ok, here is the way how to run most stable build from windows, if u dont want/know how to mess up with some coding:

If i find some time later today/tomorrow ill send Whales a backtrace from cygwin (those are stack overflows somewhere) and try to find some solution to nanosleep in windows (should fix ranged).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:05:06 am by lastverb »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:23 am »

So I take out the contents in the data folder into the main folder? OK.

Didn't work.

Also, I tend to hoard books, food, and cooking supplies, then I chill in the forest., then go back to city to get more food/sleep/loot. I really wish there were sleeping bags, which are portable beds, that are easily found at the sports equipment store.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:32:37 am by justinlee999 »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:27 am »

Press M
That just shows the map, YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Kicior your clearance level is not high enough for any information relating to that.

This information is clearance level ULTRAVIOLET, friend citizen!  Are you not aware that possessing information outside of your clearance is a traitorous act?
But yeah, sometimes stairs do that to you.  Sorry.  Working on it.

So I take out the contents in the data folder into the main folder? OK.

Didn't work.

No, leave them in the data folder.  But I think I might know what's wrong.  When cataclysm looks for the data/ and save/ directories, it looks for them in the CURRENT directory.  This means that if you launch the game with a symlink, launcher, from a menu item, etc., the current directory is probably your home directory, and the data/ and save/ directories aren't there!  Copy those to your home directory, or actually open a terminal and "cd downloads/cataclysm; ./cataclysm".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:12:59 am by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2011, 11:00:19 am »

My clearance level is high enough to do it :P
What do you do in the morning when it is too dark to read? How loud a BB gun is? Can it train my skill only up to level1? If saves are deleted after loading, should they not be secured with  password?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:08:19 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

What do you do in the morning when it is too dark to read? How loud a BB gun is? Can it train my skill only up to level1? If saves are deleted after loading, should they not be secured with  password?

Same thing that you do when you're hurt: Abuse Niquil, like alot.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2011, 11:15:40 am »

Use a flashlight to read, or just long-wait until it's bright out.
BB guns make the "plink!" sound effect, which means it's too quiet to matter.  And yes, it only trains you up to level 1.
Sure, I'll start working on that password-protection.  And I think I'll start deleting save files on death, not on load; that way, if the game crashes on you, you can always revert to an older save.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2011, 12:15:29 pm »

Whales,

Quick question, why is it when i just start out on a local game, there are over 10-15 zombies that just suddenly spawn when i break a window or open a door? I keep getting raped by them, almost right when I start.

What are some suggestions for starting out?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 777