Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263585 times)

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #885 on: July 03, 2011, 01:27:06 am »

Please oh please leave the Custom Character option at least.  Or at least elaborate on what you mean by "jobs" and how much of a character they'll effect.
That's not being removed, hes removing the skill selection within character creation and replacing it with Jobs. Different jobs will give you different starting equipment, skills and bonuses. Making a character is otherwise going to be exactly the same, afaik. (Work on stats -> grab your traits -> select your job -> name & gender and your in the world.)

Though, I do think the creation process could be rearranged personally. Something like, Name & gender -> Traits -> Stats -> Job -> enter the world.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 03, 2011, 02:09:07 am »

Well, didn't think whales would actually read my post.
as It happened, I'm going to throw in some more ideas in my head.

-More canned food. canned foods are strangely rare. Been looting around a lot of places with my superhuman cyborg Wolverine, and hasn't found THAT many canned food compared to all the bags of
 beef jerkies and pretzels.

-More variety of places to loot. Fast food chains (Tacos!) Pawn shops.. etc.

-Difficulty adjusting. look at Crawl, Stonesoup, ADOM, CoQ. most roguelikes have steady, but unforgiving difficulty rise as you level up. But in Cataclysm, It felt like the game's offering you everything it's got from day 1. I know there are several zombies that don't show up in day 1, but what I'm saying is rather, the amount of zombies. special zombies can be a pain in the neck on new characters, but as you proceed and become superstrong, they are just piece of cake if you know what you are doing. game gets boring and loose pretty fast from this moment. well if you are intending to implement advanced wall and floor construction, I'm sure Cataclysm would go exactly the same way where Unreal World went. game gets even more lame and boring in late game, as you could just build a fort and gank everyone you see. so the players will be/are either frustrated as they die over and over and over again in early game, or they complain it's too easy. I'm not sure how you want this game to be, Whales. But I'm very sure You're ultimate goal in Cataclysm is neither UnrealWorld-esque, nor Crawl-esque. But rather something more hybrid. We all know this is still an alpha state, and I'm very not intending to lecture you, and I'm not, This game will have to be armed up with late-game contents sometime in the future. If you need some ideas on that, I'm sure people here would ba very eager to help.

Maybe some sort of Black-ops showing up in late game? ( Well Black ops to eliminate every living thing in the city is kind of absurd. possibly to retrieve something in great value. which players can loot.  :D) or Massive, Massive swarm of zombies, or rather Horde shoing up?

well this is just an idea, and if any of you guys feel bad about my post, I'll edit the part you don't like out.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 03, 2011, 02:26:11 am »

The way I feel is Cataclysm will just end up like Cataclysm, since I believe the only thing Cataclysm draws upon Roguelike-wise is NetHack which Whales is slowly eliminating from the older code. (If I recall Whales is pretty new to Roguelikes in general, I'm not even sure if he's played Stone soup or UnReal World)

I agree with the canned food bit, though, I guess we could pretend that everywhere is pre-looted and canned foods are an obvious choice for first pickings.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel Cataclysm should scale closely with the player sort of like Oblivion does, even though I HATED that in Oblivion, it might just work nicely in Cataclysm. Just food for thought. (Then again, It might already be doing that for all I know, I haven't survived past 3 PM.)

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 03, 2011, 03:20:59 am »

ok, forgot to mention one of my finest ( or worst?  :P ) ideas.

We got implants that make humans into superhumans
We got mutations that make humans into superhumans
why don't we have.. a Nanosuit? or more like, exosuit?
get absurdly high electronics, mechanics and bunch, get absurdly high tech materials
build your own space engineer rig, or nanosuit, or exosuit
then go rampaging.

in short: HOLY SHIT
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 03, 2011, 04:45:44 am »

Is it possible to craft a raincoat?
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 03, 2011, 05:22:02 am »

I shall not be satisfied until I can loot couches and build a pillow fort!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 03, 2011, 05:24:04 am »

Is it possible to craft a raincoat?

Looking on the wiki it looks like a no

EDIT:

Windows Download: https://github.com/headswe/Cataclysm
Press download

Quinnr: Could you add the windows github page link to the thread?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:36:29 am by head »
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 03, 2011, 05:31:48 am »

is it a bug that you can't butcher stuff with an X-Acto knife?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 03, 2011, 08:32:04 am »

So, I met a human NPC, got him to travel with me, and then later on he broke through a window. I climbed in after him, and the game just closed. No error messages, no anything, just closed on me. The save was still there, but when I loaded he had vanished.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 03, 2011, 08:52:44 am »

is it a bug that you can't butcher stuff with an X-Acto knife?

I think it can safely be said that the amount of time it would take to butcher a corpse with an X-acto knife would render doing so almost completely useless. You'd be there for days sawing away with that thin flimsy blade.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:56 am »

Indeed. X-Acto knives can barely cut construction paper, much less a corpse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:13 am »

So, I met a human NPC, got him to travel with me, and then later on he broke through a window. I climbed in after him, and the game just closed. No error messages, no anything, just closed on me. The save was still there, but when I loaded he had vanished.

I just take pity on all the NPC's I meet, knowing they're doomed to an inevitable buggy head explosion, and kill them. And take their stuff.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38:30 am »

Indeed. X-Acto knives can barely cut construction paper, much less a corpse.
Depends on how good they are. I had a set that I sliced my finger open quite nicely with. Didn't even realize until I started bleeding.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:27 am »

So how do you change which buttons do what? For some reason it seems that movement isn't properly mapped to my number pad. Also is there any way to increase the starting char gen points?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »

So how do you change which buttons do what? For some reason it seems that movement isn't properly mapped to my number pad. Also is there any way to increase the starting char gen points?
1. Stupid question, but did you have Num Lock on?
2. Cheat Engine.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 777