Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263342 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1200 on: July 06, 2011, 05:10:49 pm »

Oh, while I'm here, what the FUCK went on here?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 06, 2011, 05:11:29 pm »

Yes, rush their nests. THAT's going to cut down on his "Deaths while foraging" count.
It's safe to shotgun the shit of those ants, since zombies don't go down there. It would be strange if you manage to get hurt. On a low-skilled char.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 06, 2011, 05:13:10 pm »

YES! I found some soldier or something's corpse and it was totally loaded. I totally just grabbed a Mac 10 off of him and stole his backpack and vest.
Are you on Putty, or Standalone? In all likelyhood, it was another person. You don't just FIND these things, sir.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 06, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »

YES! I found some soldier or something's corpse and it was totally loaded. I totally just grabbed a Mac 10 off of him and stole his backpack and vest.

I find such corpses often, usually in groups. So far I've found scientists and soldiers, unfortunately I've only seen both groups around 2 times.
Also, is it safe to delete the save files of dead characters? Or does that remove their corpses from the game?

It was on Putty, but the corpse didn't have a name (does this even mean anything?). Plus there were more corpses with similar sweet gear around it.

I was on Windows.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I can trust you guys on the giant ants. They've really fucked my shit up a few games. I've had characters who have killed over a hundred zombies with only a screwdriver, but were killed by an ant or two.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:18:49 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 06, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »

It was on Putty, but the corpse didn't have a name (does this even mean anything?). Plus there were more corpses with similar sweet gear around it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 06, 2011, 05:18:25 pm »

Oh, yeah, if it's in a group it's probably randomly spawned NPCs. Lone bros on highways, it's normally people.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 06, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That...REALLY should show on the map. Jesus christ, that's just the worst aimed.... And that's why I died, too. RADIATION.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 06, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

It goes on for six straight blocks. It's 6x6, just GONE. Were you testing dirty bombs or did some jackass go nuts with a jackhammer? Well, no, it can't be that. Streets are gone too and you can't jackhammer those.

Yeah, somebody got into a silo and launched a nuke.  Go play in the rubble if you want to be highly irradiated!

Oh and cocaine.
Cocaine is too addictive. While the stimulant effects are great, you can get the same with Adderal. For a morale drug, you're much better off with marijuana.
It's much more plentiful and comes in bigger stacks I think.

In other news, I found some mutegen (spelling?). I didn't want to drink it and couldn't find any turtles so I threw it at a rabbit. Rabbit died. I was disappoint.
What else did you expect by throwing glass bottles at small woodland critters? Besides, it's not like that would force it to drink the mutagen.
And yeah, drinking mutagen is bad, as you only have around 1 in 10 chance of getting a positive mutation.

They are good to make them into purifiers later on though.

There are no rabbit characters in TMNT, and so mutagen will not work on them.  Usagi Yojimbo does not count.
Drinking mutagen has a 2 in 7 chance of giving you a good mutation.  It goes up to 9 in 14 if you have Robust Genetics.
I'm considering removing the stat-boosting effect of purifiers so they can't be abused.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »

May I make a request and have the random map features like groups of corpses and crashed wrecks show up as, say, strange sight or odd damage or something similar based on perception? Those are incredibly lucrative, but  are hard to find, which is good, but I'd think you could be able to spot them with high perception.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:28 pm »

I'm going to start naming characters after people posting in this thread and see how they turn out, a mini-LP if you will. It's not going to be anything serious, and will probably be all in this post. No screenshots either.
Of course, I'll stop this if it's not allowed or anything.

First up is SirAaronIII. You are a male programmer. 5 Str, 6 Dex, 17 Intl, and 9 Per. You have a glass jaw and are skilled in electronics and computers.

Jackpot. You found a refrigerator with two pages full of food and drinks. Some vodka, even. Too bad you couldn't have it as the game locked up awhen you tried to take some bluberries and OJ. When the game was reloaded you were surrounded by a horde of zombies. Game over. You had killed a grand total of... two zombies.

Our next victim is Fikes, a female Doctor. You are skilled in cooking and first aid, and are resistant to poison due to a lab accident involving exposure to chemicals, but you have a bad back, are a vegetarian, and you are easily addicted to drugs. Stats are 5 Str, 15 Dex, 15 Intl, and 9 Per.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:44:58 pm by Detonate »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 06, 2011, 05:31:08 pm »

Oh and cocaine.
Cocaine is too addictive. While the stimulant effects are great, you can get the same with Adderal. For a morale drug, you're much better off with marijuana.
It's much more plentiful and comes in bigger stacks I think.

In other news, I found some mutegen (spelling?). I didn't want to drink it and couldn't find any turtles so I threw it at a rabbit. Rabbit died. I was disappoint.
What else did you expect by throwing glass bottles at small woodland critters? Besides, it's not like that would force it to drink the mutagen.
And yeah, drinking mutagen is bad, as you only have around 1 in 10 chance of getting a positive mutation.

They are good to make them into purifiers later on though.

There are no rabbit characters in TMNT, and so mutagen will not work on them.  Usagi Yojimbo does not count.
Drinking mutagen has a 2 in 7 chance of giving you a good mutation.  It goes up to 9 in 14 if you have Robust Genetics.
I'm considering removing the stat-boosting effect of purifiers so they can't be abused.

Also, none of the TMNT drank the mutagen, they were just all exposed.

On the subject of cocaine, I keep it around for situations that are truely hopeless. At some point you will lose. Losing in 10 minutes is better than losing now.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:18 pm »

That...REALLY should show on the map. Jesus christ, that's just the worst aimed.... And that's why I died, too. RADIATION.
And wasn't that DFUN (i just use it as dwarf-fun)? Skill your electronics and make a geiger counter. Small dose of radiation isn't that bad, Ive developed fangs and armor that way (lucky).

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 06, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »

My current character is a vegetarian. I found a refrigerator with a sm. cardboard box of frozen dinner. I can't eat it without a morale hit, due to it containing meat. Would it bepossible to create a vegetarian frozen dinner and make the current one a "sm. cardboard box of frozen pepperoni pizza" or something?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:01 pm »

My current character is a vegetarian. I found a refrigerator with a sm. cardboard box of frozen dinner. I can't eat it without a morale hit, due to it containing meat. Would it bepossible to create a vegetarian frozen dinner and make the current one a "sm. cardboard box of frozen pepperoni pizza" or something?

Hungry Zombie-brand frozen dinners contain little pieces of chicken in all four dishes!
Anyway Vegetarian would be worth fewer points if the most satisfying food item in the game were vegetarian.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 06, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »

Hungry Zombie-brand frozen dinners contain little pieces of chicken in all four dishes!
Anyway Vegetarian would be worth fewer points if the most satisfying food item in the game were vegetarian.

You could balance it out by replacing vegetarian with vegan. No milk, no leather jackets, etc. Or you could reduce the nutrition of the vegetarian item and make it rarer than it's meat-containing counterpart.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 777