Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260253 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1905 on: July 17, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

If you or your zombie pall break something, will it still be broken when you die and make a new char? This pile of broken zombies and shattered glass seems very familiar...
Yeah. I once set the tutorial on fire and then I died from fire when starting a new tutorial. And I discovered the rotting body of my guy who got swarmed by triffids pretty recently.

Speaking of deaths, I was just surrounded by zombies at the gas station. I managed to kill 3 of them with my SMG (.45) but they quickly swarmed me. I tried to enter the gas station but I was surrounded. I shot at them, but there was too many. I grabbed my lighter and set the pump that I was next to on fire, killing myself and all of the zombies. This game is EPIC

Also, how do I stop all of these annoying debug messages popping up?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Andserk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 17, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

Also, how do I stop all of these annoying debug messages popping up?

pressing '~' toggles debug messages off and on

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:23 pm »

I don't know what I hit accidentally but it seems I just revealed a huge chunk of the map around me.

Z key maybe?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 17, 2011, 01:44:54 pm »

Yeah it's a debug command and its really annoying.  For anyone who knows the intricacies of the code, is there a limit on the number of items per map tile?  I'm accumulating tons of stuff in my basement and I don't want anything to disappear.  This is a local version, not online.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 17, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

Yah, limited number, but if possible overflow will be auto-moved to adjacent spaces.

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 17, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »

This is probably one of my favorite roguelikes now, such a fun game.

The only suggestion I can think of at the moment would be shopping malls. Large buildings that work sort of like the survivor settlements, (As in, outside wall surrounding mini shops/buildings, but unlike survivor settlements the entire area is indoors. Hallways separating the mini shops.) and a parking lot facing a road. Those would be fun to raid for supplies.

And actually, while we're at larger buildings, hospitals would be a cool addition too. They'd span more than one map tile and would be filled with medical supplies. However, hospitals and malls would have a higher concentration of zombies. (For obvious reasons.) And be quite a bit rarer than normal buildings so you don't have cities filled up with nothing but large hospitals and malls.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before (And it probably has I'd guess.) but I just wanted to throw that out there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:03:58 pm by Aninimouse »
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1911 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »

Restaurants. I knew there was something missing. And electronics stores. and maybe warehouses, and factories? and other industrial buildings. and apartment complexes. and maybe big city type areas, with different buildings than the little towns? Hmm.

Would you like us to help program some of this stuff? If nothing else, we could help you massively expand your list of items and crafting. Or heck, we could just start sharing mods, and you could pick out some of the better stuff. Hmm.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

Restaurants. I knew there was something missing. And electronics stores. and maybe warehouses, and factories? and other industrial buildings. and apartment complexes. and maybe big city type areas, with different buildings than the little towns? Hmm.

Would you like us to help program some of this stuff? If nothing else, we could help you massively expand your list of items and crafting. Or heck, we could just start sharing mods, and you could pick out some of the better stuff. Hmm.

Ooo, Restaurants, Electronics Stores and Warehouses sound pretty good...

Hmmm...

Airports anyone?
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 17, 2011, 02:56:46 pm »

I think many of the more interesting places in the game (Hospitals, airports,Malls and warehouses) will require the implementation of multistory buildings. Which are apparently kinda tricky...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 17, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

Which are apparently kinda tricky...
Really? I thought they could just modify the basement coding a bit and make it the coding for upper levels.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:59 pm »

Unless you have different basement than I have, there doesn't seem to be much basement coding at all :P
Just an large room filled with guns, katanas and plutonium stuff.

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 17, 2011, 03:09:43 pm »

I think many of the more interesting places in the game (Hospitals, airports,Malls and warehouses) will require the implementation of multistory buildings. Which are apparently kinda tricky...

Well in my opinion single-story malls/hospitals and such would be fine, even if multistory buildings are never implemented. As long as they take up multiple map tiles/sectors, kind of like how the walled off survivor settlements work. An airport could have a lobby as one tile, the runway could be made up of a group of another tile, etc. The different stores and such inside a mall could be made up of different tiles. And I'm not sure a warehouse would really need to be a multistory building to work properly anyhow.

Of course, that's not to say they wouldn't be even more awesome as multistory buildings, but I wouldn't like to see them excluded from the game just because they'd be trickier to implement when the multistory problem could be worked around by making them one story.

Although, Apartment buildings and such would probably need multiple stories to seem right at all.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 17, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

Which are apparently kinda tricky...
Really? I thought they could just modify the basement coding a bit and make it the coding for upper levels.

First off, stairs are kinda wonky right now. Notice how basements have two upstairs to 1 down stair? Also sometimes the stairs screw up and you end up trapped in rock. As I understand it the world isn't actually 3d right now. There are multiple levels of maps, and when you use stairs the game just moves you to the closest stair on the next level. This is why you can never dig into a basement or the sewer system for example. In implementing second stories, you would need to update how the game handles stairs as well as allowing interactions between levels (such as firing out of a window).

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 17, 2011, 03:30:09 pm »

I can imagine myself surrounded by Zs smashing a window with the shotgun and jumping from the tenth floor into a swimming pool... nice!

What about bicycles?

Code: [Select]
Empty
-|o--

Riding
--@--

\
 @
  \

/
 @
/

|
@
|

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 17, 2011, 03:39:43 pm »

So in my current game I'm on Day 6 and contemplating attacking a large (9 tile) Bee Hive. I've got an internal furnace, finger laser, blood filtration ethanal burner and 50 power worth of reserves. In addition I have a backup 1911 and Remington 870, boh with 2 stacks of ammo and a .22 pistol hidden around my safe-house somewhere (I'm camped out in my basement, since zombies seem not to come down stairs and my shotgun traps and bubble wrap is sufficient for any spawns). Is there any other equipment I should obtain before heading out to do battle with the insectoid menace?

EDIT: It's a bee hive, not an ant nest. That's why I was planning on going there...to get honey comb.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:43:59 pm by BishopX »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 777