Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260363 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2025 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:08 am »

-I am having a severe issue procuring water. Is there anything else out of drinking from a toilet? Can I purify that water? (Water boiling is possible?)

-Or even better, how about taking the water from the water canister of the toilet instead of from the bottom with all the disease? :P

-If there isn't, there should be a way to procure rain water or from condensation that isn't bionic-only. (Rain collectors might spoil your water if acid rain comes, too, so they wouldn't be almighty)
Two bionics allow you to get water from corpses or from the air using magic SCIENCE. Alternatively, "e"xamine a water tile to drink from it or fill a container you're carrying (you can do the same thing with sewage but needless to say it's a very bad idea.) If you're in town, you'll probably find plenty of cola/assorted canned drinks and bottles of water by looking in buildings and fridges though. I believe the only thing that can purify water is the water purifier item.

-Is it possible to put items on a container? Are there container tiles such as chests (modern ones of course, not treasure chests :P) or just shelves/wardrobes?

-Is it possible to push shelves or wardrobes? Some of the generated terrain does contain doors blocked by beds or wardrobes, or is it merely coincidental? If not, would be a fancy thing to do, and would make sense (specially when more furniture comes in)
No, you can't put items into containers. However, if you try to pick up an item with your volume and hands full, you have the option to drop your held item in place of one of the items you're attempting to pick up. This places your dropped item on that tiles. Also, have you tried "t"hrowing it onto the square? Glass items will break if you try it though.

Currently, you can't move furniture, it's in the works though.
-Just a little bug report (latest git on linux), I unloaded a radio and it gave me...several stacks of .44 ammo. I wanted the batteries...
Same problem here, already reported several times I believe.
-I actually love the "alone vs the zombie world" theme of the game as it is now...will it be possible to simulate the current behavior in later stages of the game's development? Perhaps a generation option? On that matter, will it be possible to have any input on world generation later on? Or, at least, will it be possible to disable NPCs voluntarily?
(The reasoning of the later is, as others survival games showcase, human NPCs can be terribly overpowered, annoying or make the game extremely unfair (to the player), or if you work with them, they are just bait, or you need to babysit them, or make survival by resources impossible for two...so there are times I would have them, times I wouldn't.) What's your opinion on this?

Currently, NPCs are completely disabled. As for the second part, I think the option to disable them *might* be implemented. Personally, I feel that the risk and possible conflict as well as possible gain add to the realism.

-Is it possible to build fences, or only boarding is allowed? Will it be possible sometime?
Nope, you can only board doors and windows for now. Hopefully that will change.

-How about an alarm item? That way sleep schedules can be controlled. (Unless they already exist)
There is an "Alarm system" bionic, but that only wakes you when something comes nearby and constantly drains power to operate.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 19, 2011, 06:37:24 am »

I might be remembering incorrectly but when I had the Alarm System, it only drained when something was close and it was on alert. Atleast that's when I noticed it draining.

Hope that clears a few things up. As for the others, sorry I have no idea.
I know about other drinks, but man, you burn through them in no time. The player character dehydrates fast, it seems. There should be BIG water bottles with more than one use :P
Anyway the others are mostly suggestions so it's entirely fine. Thanks for your answers!

No problem, I also agree about larger bottles but at the moment it seems fine, in my opinion, since the game encourages you to keep moving.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 19, 2011, 06:43:46 am »

Don't bother with plastic/glass bottles, cans have less weight/volume and still restore the same amount.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:58 am »

I found a bug (I think) - wearing a sweatshirt is supposed to add 1 encumberment, but actually adds 2.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 19, 2011, 07:04:02 am »

I found a bug (I think) - wearing a sweatshirt is supposed to add 1 encumberment, but actually adds 2.
You probably got the extra encumberment from wearing too many clothes.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:19 am »

Don't bother with plastic/glass bottles, cans have less weight/volume and still restore the same amount.
Can you re-fill cans?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:45 am »

That's probably it...

Also, quicktraveling to a radio tower crashes the game. Boom.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 19, 2011, 07:11:06 am »

It dosen't crash for me. However, survivor camps seem to crash a lot.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:40 am »

It dosen't crash for me. However, survivor camps seem to crash a lot.
I never crash.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:33 am »

post to follow.
Nom nom nom

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:41 am »

I'm just telling you how silly I think it is that standing in acid for 1 turn with almost full health killed me.

It depends on your footwear as well. In my experience, sneakers disintegrate in two turns of exposure while allowing a lot of damage to bleed through to your legs. But the other day I was wearing boots and didn't get hurt from walking through a single square of acid. I didn't feel like experimenting further given the sneakers episode. Maybe I was just lucky, but I can imagine acid being devastating if you're barefoot.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 19, 2011, 08:27:37 am »

Two bionics allow you to get water from corpses or from the air using magic SCIENCE. Alternatively, "e"xamine a water tile to drink from it or fill a container you're carrying (you can do the same thing with sewage but needless to say it's a very bad idea.) If you're in town, you'll probably find plenty of cola/assorted canned drinks and bottles of water by looking in buildings and fridges though. I believe the only thing that can purify water is the water purifier item.
Ah, examining water tiles, gotcha.
As for the others, as said, I know, but they don't seem to be too effective, they don't last that much...I don't have as much issue with food though.
No, you can't put items into containers. However, if you try to pick up an item with your volume and hands full, you have the option to drop your held item in place of one of the items you're attempting to pick up. This places your dropped item on that tiles. Also, have you tried "t"hrowing it onto the square? Glass items will break if you try it though.

Currently, you can't move furniture, it's in the works though.
Ooh, good to know. I knew about replacing your current item if you have no space, but there's little control over that.

Currently, NPCs are completely disabled. As for the second part, I think the option to disable them *might* be implemented. Personally, I feel that the risk and possible conflict as well as possible gain add to the realism.
I am aware of that. Note my wording for "the current" behavior. The git activity also shows they have been disabled.
The realism is nice, but I fear it'd end up like in Rogue Survivor, where they are EXTREMELY dangerous and even self-defense carries penalties. Meanwhile the game will also get harder (several things will probably be nerfed, more hazards added, more enemies, less items generated, who knows) and you will have the extra burden of not finding any food, tools, weapons, or getting killed out of nowhere, your base pillaged or destroyed, zombies being attracted to someone who was around you, or alerted by their noise...
And considering there is a "heartless" trait... I can bet killing in self-defense will have a morale penalty. When morale becomes harder to obtain, that can potentially harm your game a lot.
So yes, if possible, I'd love to be able to remove NPCs in the final product, or at least have something to limit their "inherent penalties". They will also hinder emergent gameplay. If you force players to keep moving all the time, that becomes the only survival option.

Perhaps if NPCs were more than either idiots or murdering machines(both happening to wreck your stuff on proximity) they would be more important.
How about children to protect? At least if they do idiotic actions, the fact that they are children should soften the gamer rage when they screw up, or motivate protection, a bit like that kid in Aliens for Ripley. You have to babysit most sandbox game AIs anyway, so why not give it an excuse.
I guess old people would work similarly (but with more "whippersnappers", "get off my lawn" and finding medicines for them). Actually that can be awesome, specially if they are hardcore war veterans xD

Those two might even be interesting starting situations, now that I think of it. Having a defect that puts a family member in your charge with a massive morale penalty if they are missing or dead. It can be a grandma, a sick wife/husband or a son/daughter, or maybe just a Best Friend a la Shawn of the Dead.
But that still gives the problem of caring for an AI, and they will still wreck your stuff...and there's also the subject of child death, but well, this being Bay12...we have seen digital babies as improvised weapons. Although it'd be awesome to find a kid going Rambo on the zombies (specially if he/she is succeeding).

There is an "Alarm system" bionic, but that only wakes you when something comes nearby and constantly drains power to operate.
Definitely not the same...while it's certainly useful to wake up during danger, in real life one can tweak sleep to fit an schedule. It would be useful to control your sleep schedule in-game, so you wouldn't need to abuse drugs to control it.

By the way, a final suggestion...How about a button to destroy items? At least until something like trash bins exists, it's just irritating to have your base totally covered in trash after a few days, or having to move to the "garbage corner" to dump your empty paper wrappers and cans (in case you aren't planning to "recycle" them). There are garbage dumpsters, but since you can't place items on containers yet...(you can't move them yet either, anyway). On the other side, there's the argument that one man's garbage is another man's treasure, but well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:31:33 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:18 am »

You can kill NPCs in self defense with no penalty. It's blowing the brain out of an ally who is eating your food that causes a morale drop.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 19, 2011, 08:34:07 am »

You can kill NPCs in self defense with no penalty. It's blowing the brain out of an ally who is eating your food that causes a morale drop.
I'll have to spawn a NPC and see how often they do that...although personally I'd prefer to just avoid that situation in the first place. We might need safes.

Oh, a question for you all. Am I the only one who grabs zombie corpses and carries them away from my house? As far as I know you can't get diseases from them (yet?), but I like to keep my resting area putrid-free. Also it makes for a photoscenic kind of thing, with piles of zombie corpses at your doorstep.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:37:03 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36:56 am »

Basically, if they are hostile towards you, you don't feel bad about killing them. However, if it's just a random human who isn't attacking you, you feel bad about killing a fellow human being and suffer a morale drop. Unless you kill a dozen or so non hostile NPCs, it isn't really an issue.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 777