Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263194 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2175 on: July 19, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »

Considering how I have at least 20 gigs dedicated to games at any one time, I wouldn't mine a gig or two for this game, if its that good ;)

Also, FUCK YEAH. I found my HOME BASE.

Basement has no windows, but has RAM, soldering iron, receiver, tons of batteries, plutonium cell, screwdriver, and all sorts of electrical components, and something called an 'electrohack'. I'm totally putting a Note on the map and boarding this place up asap!

If I hoard all my shit in this house will it ever disappear? If I need to conserve memory I'll just burn all the local houses down and destroy buildings after they're looted, since I doubt they're useful at all after they've been looted - besides temporary cover of course.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »

Anyone have any idea what a plutonium cell does? o_O Just found one in some guys basement down the block from my house... Heh

Plutonium cells function as power (and materials) for teleporters. Manhacks and turrets recipes can use them in place of batteries (They're useless though), and can turn 1 P-cell into 20 fusion pack charges.

Basement has no windows, but has RAM, soldering iron, receiver, tons of batteries, plutonium cell, screwdriver, and all sorts of electrical components, and something called an 'electrohack'. I'm totally putting a Note on the map and boarding this place up asap!
I don't think basements are supposed to have windows in the first place :/.
Electrohacks can be used to hack the science lab doors(Maybe other things), but you'll need computer skill to use them.

If I hoard all my shit in this house will it ever disappear? If I need to conserve memory I'll just burn all the local houses down and destroy buildings after they're looted, since I doubt they're useful at all after they've been looted - besides temporary cover of course.
I've never seen items disappear or the game otherwise choking due to memory limits. If a tile gets full it just gets pushed to an adjacent tile. I've butchered 12 corpses in one house and still didn't see anything disappearing, so you're probably fine.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: July 19, 2011, 11:42:42 pm »

Great, I just want to make sure I can come back here with the same guy days later and not have everything disappear. Hell, if the world is really constant, it can be a kickass home base any time I restart, no? :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: July 19, 2011, 11:43:58 pm »

Ya. It can be a consistent base between games. Also, use a jackhammer to smash down walls, you'll get tons of 2x4s that way.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:45 pm »

Anyone have any idea what a plutonium cell does? o_O Just found one in some guys basement down the block from my house... Heh
You can use it to craft energy cells (aka ammo for lasers!!!!!) with a high enough electronics skill. Unless it was mechanics.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:07 pm »

Another minor bug. Silencer says it muffles at the cost of damage and accuracy, but it has a +2 to hit bonus. Now, either I've got to-hit bonuses backwards and positive numbers are bad, or this is another minor numerical error.

For now, woot! Silencer that improves aim ;)

You've got it backwards, positive numbers are bad (it's actually a "to-miss bonus," really)

The house idea is a fairly good one--I'm just not sure players would be able to tell the difference.  Maybe if I partitioned houses into by-owner rooms, but even then it wouldn't necessarily be any more identifiable than the random rooms are now; and the space in a house is pretty limited.  Data usage isn't an issue--an extra 4 bytes or so per house, when they already use much more than that.  And since the only thing that'd have to be saved is the name of the house, that's just an extra single byte, miniscule!

What about shops? Will this kind of information be used for them too? What about labs?

EDIT: I try to keep the amount of space taken up on my computer low. It's just that I can kind of see this getting like DF in terms of world generation and that kind of scares me.

In other news, whats the limit on the generation of the map?

Well, I use 32-bit ints (you might use a 64-bit one, if you have a 64-bit system) for keeping track of the overworld positions.  That means there's 2^32 x 2^32 possible surface-level overmaps.  Assuming each one is about a square mile, that's... much much much larger than the earth, and much more than you could explore, even if you spent the rest of your life doing nothing but playing cataclysm (please do not attempt).

Considering how I have at least 20 gigs dedicated to games at any one time, I wouldn't mine a gig or two for this game, if its that good ;)

Also, FUCK YEAH. I found my HOME BASE.

Only a small portion of the map is kept in memory at any given time--the memory footprint of cataclysm is rather low.  Nothing ever gets deleted due to running out of memory.

I develop and play cataclysm on a netbook--with 16 GB of storage, 1 GB of memory, and a 1.6 GHz processor, low-end systems are a target audience (since really, I'm making this for my own amusement).  If your computer's stats are better than mine, running Cataclysm should never be an issue for you.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:07 pm »

I've got mechanics, barter, and some other skills at 2-3 from books, and 3 tailoring from fixing my clothes up. :)

I can't seem to find any nails or a hammer, so I'm going to go into town... My dog mysteriously disappeared so I'm going to have to rough it out alone, sadly... Little Bastard was a great early-warning system, and a last-ditch trap as well... Killed every animal that got near me, too. :(

I will be PISSED if I die... This house is AWESOME. The basement has at least 40 counters on opposite walls, stacked with electronics items, plus the other crafting items I left there. Whoever owned this house was really prepared to kick some ass. I also love how the bathroom has no windows, first house I found that was smart enough to have a windowless room. :)

WEIRD thing is that the hallway leading into the rooms has a door and is missing a section of wall, making the door completely useless. o_O

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »

What about shops? Will this kind of information be used for them too? What about labs?

EDIT: I try to keep the amount of space taken up on my computer low. It's just that I can kind of see this getting like DF in terms of world generation and that kind of scares me.

In other news, whats the limit on the generation of the map?

Well, I use 32-bit ints (you might use a 64-bit one, if you have a 64-bit system) for keeping track of the overworld positions.  That means there's 2^32 x 2^32 possible surface-level overmaps.  Assuming each one is about a square mile, that's... much much much larger than the earth, and much more than you could explore, even if you spent the rest of your life doing nothing but playing cataclysm (please do not attempt)
I now contemplate a Ringworld Cataclysm, and it is hilariously big.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:21 pm »

Whales, can you PLEEEEEEEEASE make it so map 'Notes' are kept between characters? I'd love if it I could find the note showing my home base on a character after this one inevitably dies, should I come close enough to reveal this region :)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »

Whales, can you PLEEEEEEEEASE make it so map 'Notes' are kept between characters? I'd love if it I could find the note showing my home base on a character after this one inevitably dies, should I come close enough to reveal this region :)
He already said he's planning to have "retrievable notes" from player corpses. I dunno if anything more than that would be good.

Oh yeah, update on the guide. Help appreciated for the files I don't know what they do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will take a while, takes time to look and see what each file does.
Well, actually, Whales, would a section on File Descriptions even be needed?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:51 pm »

Wait...

So any item with +1/2/3 to-hit is BAD?

Damn, so I was right in the first place.

That's a bit confusing :\ the language of to-HIT makes it so that anyone will assume it works like to-hit modifiers in other RPG games, with positive values giving a bonus. It makes little sense for every other positive number to be positive but this...

I remember one game where there were inverted values for select items and honestly it bugged the hell out of me and other players, heh

I'll be sure to keep that in mind though. Glad to know the -2 to-hit on my crafted safety glasses is actually a good thing :D

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Is it possible for there to be a future equipment quality for crafted/unique items? I see I can tear and rip, aka deteriorate the condition of clothes when sewing, so the opposite effect, kinda like reinforcing clothes, would be awesome when making your own stuff. Would give a nice bonus to going through the trouble of making your OWN safety glasses, jeans, etc. :) (though the encumberance on items, at least on a reinforced trench coat, is bugged and isn't changing though the values show a change) clot

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:18 am »

He already said he's planning to have "retrievable notes" from player corpses. I dunno if anything more than that would be good.

Oh yeah, update on the guide. Help appreciated for the files I don't know what they do.

As the guide is for US, who know little, I'd say the more info the merrier. Most of those are pretty obvious due to the file names, though things such as the enums file would be nice to highlight. The others like bionics are self-explanatory, though the difference between the faction files would be worth a few words.

Lesson #1 in FAQ writing: CUT DOWN ON UNNECESSARY WORDING.

Example:

== dialogue.h ==
Language used, as well as some mechanics for talking to NPCs. <--- BAD
Language used/NPC speech mechanics <--- GOOD

--- --- ---

2-4 words less will go a LONG way when your FAQ is pages long ;)

This isn't a high school or college paper, we're going to SUBSTANCE over size. :) The more you say with the fewer words, the better!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 20, 2011, 12:04:25 am »

Probably not, just for key files.  I can bang it out real quick--just so you have an idea of what the imporant, moddable ones are--then you could round it out for me if you want.

Wait...

So any item with +1/2/3 to-hit is BAD?

Damn, so I was right in the first place.

That's a bit confusing :\ the language of to-HIT makes it so that anyone will assume it works like to-hit modifiers in other RPG games, with positive values giving a bonus. It makes little sense for every other positive number to be positive but this...

I remember one game where there were inverted values for select items and honestly it bugged the hell out of me and other players, heh

I'll be sure to keep that in mind though. Glad to know the -2 to-hit on my crafted safety glasses is actually a good thing :D

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Is it possible for there to be a future equipment quality for crafted/unique items? I see I can tear and rip, aka deteriorate the condition of clothes when sewing, so the opposite effect, kinda like reinforcing clothes, would be awesome when making your own stuff. Would give a nice bonus to going through the trouble of making your OWN safety glasses, jeans, etc. :) (though the encumberance on items, at least on a reinforced trench coat, is bugged and isn't changing though the values show a change) clot

No, no--the values displayed to the player in-game are positive GOOD, negative BAD.  In the code they're reversed for technical reasons.
The "to-hit bonus" displayed at the top of item descriptions is for using that item as a melee weapon.
Reinforcing clothing shouldn't affect the encumberment value at all.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 20, 2011, 12:11:16 am »

As the guide is for US, who know little, I'd say the more info the merrier. Most of those are pretty obvious due to the file names, though things such as the enums file would be nice to highlight. The others like bionics are self-explanatory, though the difference between the faction files would be worth a few words.

Example:

== dialogue.h ==

--- --- ---

This isn't a high school or college paper, we're going to SUBSTANCE over size. :) The more you say with the fewer words, the better!

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I'm pretty much sleep deprived. And I can't go to sleep since I'm getting my new graphic tablet in three hours I've been waiting for all week.
I'll probably have to rewrite it anyway. Thanks for the feedback though.

And yeah, so far the filenames have made the contents pretty obvious. Just you wait 'til I get to monitemsdef.cpp and all the other mon*.cpp files. Try figuring there which one you need to change. Especially since you usually need to change multiple files anyways.

Probably not, just for key files.  I can bang it out real quick--just so you have an idea of what the imporant, moddable ones are--then you could round it out for me if you want.
Yeah, this would actually be quite appreciated, since I have no idea right now to see which are important without looking at each one individually.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 20, 2011, 12:14:41 am »

Example:

== dialogue.h ==

--- --- ---

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I'm pretty much sleep deprived. And I can't go to sleep since I'm getting my new graphic tablet in three hours I've been waiting for all week.
I'll probably have to rewrite it anyway. Thanks for the feedback though.

And yeah, so far the filenames have made the contents pretty obvious. Just you wait 'til I get to monitemsdef.cpp and all the other mon*.cpp files. Try figuring there which one you need to change. Especially since you usually need to change multiple files anyways.

Yeah, this would actually be quite appreciated, since I have no idea right now to see which are important without looking at each one individually.

...And on this fateful day, much headache was avoided!
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 777