Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260271 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2355 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:27 am »

Hey um I have a question, how do you get new cyborg-implants.  I realize you can call NPC's of different factions with the two-way radio, and some of them have robotic factories and things but exactly how do I buy new implants from them?  Or where can I find them?
Nom nom nom

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 21, 2011, 10:37:38 am »

Hey um I have a question, how do you get new cyborg-implants.  I realize you can call NPC's of different factions with the two-way radio, and some of them have robotic factories and things but exactly how do I buy new implants from them?  Or where can I find them?
Groups of dead scientists. They'll usually have around 5-10 CBMs.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:27 am »

*turns on strobe light* Okay, so how about that horde busting melee build i came up with? If you can handle the game telling you to quit and some freaky hallucinations, its pretty great! I sort of stuck it between a coding conversation, oops.
Eh, not that great, imo. I think a high int + fast learner + illiterate + pain resistant + assorted flaws character with middling str and dex has much better damage potential and survivability. Sure, the startup is a bit slower, but once he gets going...

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:58 am »

If you find/buy a CBM you just use it and chose which implant.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:38 am »

If you find/buy a CBM you just use it and chose which implant.
....thats what those do?  I've seen hundreds of them *facepalm*
Nom nom nom

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:41 am »

Have fireworks been suggested?  These should pause-distract zombies.
party for your right to fight

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:04 am »

Whales, I'm still wondering -
Is the whole "prey animals killed with enough damage not leaving a corpse behind to be butchered" a feature, or a bug? Cause it's really rather frustrating.

Also:
Woot! Starting house has a chainsaw!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:53:02 am by GlyphGryph »

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:58 am »

I'm thinking of making a mod that removes all the special zombies and put zombies of different sizes (bulky, thin, etc.) and zombie animals instead. They are just like that special zombie counterparts except the difference is much less and gives a more realistic feeling to it. Would anyone download it?

I surely would try it. But without special zombies you may top up the spawn rate a bit so it doesn't get too easy.

Question. Are the zombie spawn rates random? I would like to see some kind of dynamic infestation. Apart from random zombies and small pack a large crowds of zombies shambling throug the area making you abandon your safehouse if its stands in their way. You know, like in the movies...

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 21, 2011, 11:11:19 am »

Is the whole "prey animals killed with enough damage not leaving a corpse behind to be butchered" a feature, or a bug? Cause it's really rather frustrating.
Feature. He even gave the damage threshold for this to happen before in this thread.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:53 am »

I dislike how the current zombies are pretty much absolute knockoffs from Left For Dead and such. I think it'd be great to include more variety.

If anything, I wouldn't mind sharing some ideas for names, stats, and types of creatures, though my style is a bit more scifi/genetic than simply zombie.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:17 am »

I dislike how the current zombies are pretty much absolute knockoffs from Left For Dead and such. I think it'd be great to include more variety.

If anything, I wouldn't mind sharing some ideas for names, stats, and types of creatures, though my style is a bit more scifi/genetic than simply zombie.
I almost would like to see the opposite. Triple the spawn rate, but only normal zombies for the first week or so, maybe some skeletons mixed in. It would make surviving earlier a tad easier, since so long as your smart you can basically always get away from normal zombies, but you'd HAVE to run from that horde early on as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:45 am »

That wouldn't work as after a few days you've got all the gear/weapons you need to survive. I'd expect cities to have regular zombies and special areas to have stronger creatures, plus the rare chance to get even stronger varieties.

I fucking hate how a lightning strike set my house on fire and I instantly got bum-rushed by 24 zombies, two of which exploded and blinded me, one shot electricity at me, the other out-ran me, and the other dozen-and-a-half just walked behind me ass-raping me all the way to the gas station where I proceeded to die while lighting a gas-tank on fire.

Just vanilla zombies is BORING, but too much variety (in strength) too fast is a recipe for disaster. No matter how well-stocked and armed I am, I still get bum-rushed by ridiculous numbers even from inside a house, unless I'm on the forest outskirts, and even then sometimes.

REGARDLESS of respawn rates and strength, I just hate seeing the same exact zombie types from every other damn zombie game.

WE NEED VARIETY, people! :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26:22 am »

I almost would like to see the opposite. Triple the spawn rate, but only normal zombies for the first week or so, maybe some skeletons mixed in. It would make surviving earlier a tad easier, since so long as your smart you can basically always get away from normal zombies, but you'd HAVE to run from that horde early on as well.

I think that the vanila game should stay neutral (as it is). And there should be mods to shift the setting to both directions.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 21, 2011, 11:35:27 am »

I'm going to do a mod too!

damnit this took long to draw

My Little Zombie, a total conversion mod.
Would bring the world of My Little Pony into the game of Cataclysm.

Right now I'm working out how would existing mechanics work.

What do you think?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42:05 am »

On the subject of mod/mode variety, it'd be great to have different settings/modes either in-game during initial creation or by mod installation, that will shift the balance between something like an initial zombie outbreak that progresses in strength and numbers, or a mutagenic malfunction that spawns all sort of horrific Lovecraftian creatures, the story/specifics of which you're tasked with discovering. I'm going for the latter in the game I'm planning on making.

I like the idea of it being progressive, as in for newbies you should start with vanilla and work your way up, while hardcore players can opt to start in a more slimy, radiation-filled hellish wasteland.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 777