Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263203 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2595 on: July 22, 2011, 07:33:01 am »

I started a char with 20 str and 20 dex. It is my best one so far (first one to live long enough for nightfall) and 2shots brutes. It's the first time I actually encounter them so I don't know how strong the actually are. They only weapons I use are molotovs and my sledgehammer :3

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 22, 2011, 08:21:09 am »

follow Vucar Fikodastesh guide in page 166 and you wont have to wait for the windows version.

also, yeah, construction, and then NPCs.
I have more posts per page :P. Which post number is that? I want to build my mod based on this version.

I've organized Vucar Fikodastesh guide a little more and posted it on the fan forums. Here.
It's just for playing the game though, I don't know how to mod it through TinyCore, which is the OS used. You probably need to install a more complete version of Linux.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:32 am »

EDIT: Actually the guide I posted was valid, but didn't keep a copy of it... You do need something like Ubuntu to handle the shared folders in a simple way. The Tiny Core posted has little to work with, unless you have an ftp server to upload files to...

Anyway I will rewrite the Ubuntu instructions if needed. Just ask.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:08:51 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:58 am »

from what I understand (and I know almost nothing about linux), that vdi file already has all the libraries. You just need to download and compile, two simple commands, so it's kind of an easy & quick setup for people having crashes on windows, until Head can maybe figure out how to stop it from crashing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: July 22, 2011, 08:55:28 am »

I know it's probably already done, but I wanted to also vote for improved crafting and/or interface and base mechanics. I want to be able to move stuff around and use my axe to chop down doors faster and build furniture and be able to craft from nearby items and all that other cool stuff that you mentioned before.

And my character last night apparently picked perfect time to get killed off by a brutes, a shocker, and a hoard of triffids, surrounded by traps in the wilderness.
Burrowing monsters are an AMAZING enemy, by the way, they are so much fun. Can't wait till they get a bit more powerful.

Also, I don't know when you changed it, but melee seems a lot more balanced/weaker lately. Did you change the skill growth time for it?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 22, 2011, 09:06:54 am »

I've finally got the mod to a level which I think changes it mostly from "HEY IMMA GONNA RAMBO A THOUSAND ZOMBIES WITH A WRENCH LULZ11!!!11! to Oh shit a zombie... Run, run, RUNNNNNNNNN!

- New zombie description
- Tripled the number of zombies
- Zombies now spawn in all areas. Nowhere is safe
- Increased zombie speed to a run
- Varied run-speed of zombies.
- Gave the zombies better hearing
- Removed grace period. Zombies spawn from game-start.
- Removed all non-zombie and special-zombie monsters [excluding animals and some other special cases]
- Made windows and some objects a little bit easier to traverse for humans and zombies.

I think this already makes the game about 500% harder. No longer can you roam the streets firing shotguns left right and center with no consequences. The door to the grocery is locked so you kick the door in or break a window? Better grab some stuff and get out of there fast because you're going to have dozens of zombies hauling down on your ass in seconds. Keep out of sight, use a safehouse effectively and you just might survive... For like two days and then die horribly... I'm planning on doing scarcity and a few other little tweaks before first release :P!

Also anti-pain medicine is worth its weight in gold in this because the slightest drop in your speed means you're as good as zombie chow!

May I host the mod on Rapidshare, Megaupload or DFFD? Or do I have to use the main site? I would prefer to distribute it via an archive as I can't be bothered figuring out how to make a branch to HEADS version, I would probably fail miserably at it :P!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:15:33 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 22, 2011, 09:08:38 am »

I was already getting my ass handed to me on the first 2 days by assorted zombies, no way I'm trying that mod >_>
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:34 am »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 22, 2011, 09:15:07 am »

Run, run, RUNNNNNNNNN!

run where? O_o

My point exactly, especially if that 'spawn anywhere' is as anywhere as I fear >_>

Its like, la-di-da strolling out my house for the first time since outbreak, got my hoodie on and OMFG *runs away from swarm of zombies*
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:54 am »

May I suggest that Lightning rods should be a lot more common? Just from the common sense - not all the houses had burned during the previous year - perspective.

And when construction update rolls out crafting one yourself should be a possibility.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 22, 2011, 09:22:23 am »

May I host the mod on Rapidshare, Megaupload or DFFD? Or do I have to use the main site? I would prefer to distribute it via an archive as I can't be bothered figuring out how to make a branch to HEADS version, I would probably fail miserably at it :P!
I'd actually much prefer Mediafire. It's really easy to upload on, and it doesn't have the waiting times of other sites.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:52 am »

Run, run, RUNNNNNNNNN!

run where? O_o

My point exactly, especially if that 'spawn anywhere' is as anywhere as I fear >_>

Its like, la-di-da strolling out my house for the first time since outbreak, got my hoodie on and OMFG *runs away from swarm of zombies*

Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. It's survival from minute one... No hand-outs here... You fight and scrap for every second of life. No rambo crap here! :D

If you make it across the road to the clothing store that is already a legendary achievement :P! The idea is that you rely more on finding a good safehouse and locking it down. Board the windows and go out on raids for ever-diminishing amounts of guns, ammo, food and meds.

PS - updating with zombie dogs that're much faster than regular zombies and will definitely catch up to you and tear you a new ass (don't get caught out in an open area, stick to cover and don't make a lot of noise).

Also thinking of nerfing backpack carry volume so you have to make more trips for resources. Definitely nerfing the amount of loot you can get from one location.

PPS - After I upload the mod I'm making a survival leaderboard :P.

I recommend you give it a whirl... It'll make a man outta ya :P!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:50:52 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:00 am »

For some reason there was a Clothing store with dumpsters in it instead of display racks. And it's saying "moving on this x is slow" for every thing.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:27 am »

For some reason there was a Clothing store with dumpsters in it instead of display racks. And it's saying "moving on this x is slow" for every thing.

Maybe the store belongs to a zombie, and that's just the way they sell stuff. Dumpsters make sense. Somehow.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:32 am »

I made another little patch that makes the game to return to the main menu if you die or save, and quit from there if you want.
I use a launcher to start the game, so every time I die the terminal closes and I have to reopen it. It's a little annoying, so I wrote this patch.

If someone is interested, further information here: http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=29.0
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 777