Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263037 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2670 on: July 22, 2011, 04:35:51 pm »

Generally if it says "Really step into that x? y/n" you want to say n.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »

I would advise tying season to the world, not the character. also make the season random upon world creation.

The problem is that this breaks server compatibilty; players would change each other's seasons.  I've also considered making seasons depend on the system date; maybe the season changes once every 1 real-world month.

Yeah. Illiteracy hurts.

It's worth 4 (5?) points for a reason! ;D

Whales can you please explain this:

case room_kitchen:
  placed = mi_kitchen;
  chance = 75;
  m->place_items(mi_cleaning,  58, x1 + 1, y1 + 1, x2 - 1, y2 - 2, false, 0);

??

I'm particularly interested in the red value... I want to tweak the number of items houses have.

Oh and this:

if (one_in(14))
   m->place_items(mi_homeguns, 58, x1 + 1, y1 + 1, x2 - 1, y2 - 1, false, 0);

place_items(type, chance, x1, y1, x2, y2, on_grass, birthday) works like this:
Type defines what pool the items and pulled from; see mapitemsdef.cpp
Chance is the % chance for an item to be placed.  If you make the chance the first time, you get to try for a second item at the same chance, and then a third, and so on until you fail. So, a chance of 50 means there's a 50% chance of getting at least one, 25% chance of getting at least 2, 12.5% chance of getting at least 3, etc.  Chance values for things that should appear reliably are around 75-95.
(x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are opposite corners of a square in which the items will be placed.
If on_grass is false, placement will ignore any tiles that're dirt or grass.
Birthday is the turn on which the items placed were created.  For now, this only matters for food items going bad.  Generally, 0 is used, though if you want everything placed to be fresh (e.g. wild fruit) use g->turn.

one_in(x) is true one time in x.  So in this case, 1 in 14 houses will have a chance to place guns.  This is another case where being able to define "bad neighborhoods" on the map would be cool!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:51:18 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: July 22, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

That is amazingly useful Whales, thank you for the detailed reply, sorry to take up so much of your time asking questions :) (I warn you, there's bound to be more in the future haha)!

This code is amazing.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »

There really needs to be a way to fill in pits with a shovel.  I mean you are able to DISARM them, but can't fill them in with the same shovel you dug them with?  It's just not right.
Nom nom nom

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »

In that vein, pits should also create a mound of dirt to one side when you're digging them
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »

There really needs to be a way to fill in pits with a shovel.  I mean you are able to DISARM them, but can't fill them in with the same shovel you dug them with?  It's just not right.
In that vein, pits should also create a mound of dirt to one side when you're digging them

Hah, this is in my TODO (see code_doc/TODO in the source), and that's just how I was going to implement it; pick a from and a to when digging with a shovel.  Maybe lter on, allow deep pits, trenches, dirt barricades and dirt walls.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 22, 2011, 05:16:08 pm »

Most awesome.
So digging pits will proved two types of defense.

And is there any way for you to make a pitfall more damaging/harder to avoid when coming down off a mound of dirt?
*Hugs*

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: July 22, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

Hah, this is in my TODO (see code_doc/TODO in the source), and that's just how I was going to implement it; pick a from and a to when digging with a shovel.  Maybe lter on, allow deep pits, trenches, dirt barricades and dirt walls.
Don't forget upgrading them with spikes. Everything needs more spikes.

silverpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 22, 2011, 05:36:12 pm »

One thing that's bothered me is the gun stuff. I happen to be a bit of a gun nerd, so I was a bit disappointed in the way the current code handles things.

This patch makes two changes.

One, weapons may have an alternate ammo type if they haven't been modified with a caliber conversion. (IRL, it's very rare that a caliber conversion kit of any sort allows you to load two dissimilar-length calibers.) Note that this would need to be changed should grenade launchers or other underbarrel accessories be implemented, but it should be fairly trivial.

Right now, it's a proof-of-concept that locks out .22CB from being used in autoloading weapons (S&W 22A, SIG Mosquito, Ruger 10/22, American-180, any .22 retooled weapons). That round quite simply isn't going to feed in an autoloader, at least not consistently - too short. You can use it in the .22 pipe rifle and the Marlin 39A (and I'd like to add a good .22 revolver - Colt Diamondback? S&W Model 617?). Sorry, but I haven't put in alternate mag sizes for different calibers. I'd like to change .38 Super/.38 Special too; .38 Super as an alternate in 9mm revolvers, .357 mag as an alternate in .38Spl revolvers. .40S&W and 10mm should also be changed - I was thinking about adding the Vector MP5/10 and /40 clone, Glock 20 and Colt Delta Elite. .270/.30-06 should stay as-is for now - until detachable gun mods are possible, or crafting that doesn't step on modded attributes, this is just too awkward a change because it means splitting two rifles for no good gameplay reason.

Two, tube-feed weapons work for any weapon skill, not just shotguns.

Does this look okay for a first pass at alternate ammo? Should I bother banging away on it further? Is my coding style a horrible abomination that should've been drowned at birth? :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:41:13 pm by silverpower »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »

Yeah. Illiteracy hurts.

Still not really worth it.
By the way, might I suggest that trait not effect books that are mostly about pictures and not words? Such as Playboys, because I doubt you need to be able to read in order to look at nekkid women. Maybe have it give slightly less morale per read(after all, the articles in Playboy are interesting sometimes).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 22, 2011, 06:01:51 pm »

I realize that I've taken a lot of artistic liberties with the realism of ammo and guns.  My goal was to permit multiple ammo types for guns, while keeping ammo classes distinct and clean--it's much less confusing, to someone without in-depth gun knowledge, if all .38 guns can fire all types of :38 ammo, and not a mixed bag of guns with different ammo types accepted.  Basically, I'm trying to avoid the "open wiki required" pitfall that, say, nethack falls into, while providing some degree of variety, and streamlined, easy-to-grasp ways to use those things.  I'm also trying to keep the number of ammo classes low, so that the chances of finding a match are better, and the naive player isn't baffled by the number of options and categories.  Right now there are 8 types of handgun ammo--that's quite a lot, I think, without sub-dividing into .40/10mm, .38/Super, etc.  As I've developed cataclysm, one game design lesson I've learn is to Keep It Simple, Stupid (or K.I.S.S. as it's known).  It's easy to fall into the trap of layering in intricacies and complexities, but quite often, good gameplay is more about what you leave out or simplify than what you put in.

That said, if you prize hard realism and a range of choices, by all means mod away!  Your code looks great.  And nothing sways my opinions better than a strong demo. :)

Yeah. Illiteracy hurts.

By the way, might I suggest that trait not effect books that are mostly about pictures and not words? Such as Playboys, because I doubt you need to be able to read in order to look at nekkid women. Maybe have it give slightly less morale per read(after all, the articles in Playboy are interesting sometimes).

Well, an illiterate character can still be a strong fighter or shooter, they just probably won't do much crafting.
And the illiterate can already "read" Playboy.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

silverpower I'm interested in adding more 'realism' and 'variety' to the game too. Perhaps you could help me as my knowledge is limited? I've already written up a few additions included below:

GUN("Glock 17",   15, 700,c_dkgray,   STEEL,   PLASTIC
   sk_pistol,   AT_9MM,    3,  6,  8,  1,  2, 24,  6,  6,  0, 17, "\
One of the most popular pistols in existance. Often criticised for its\n\
plastic contruction or praised for its ease of use. Holds a massive\n\
seventeen rounds of 9mm.",
0);

GUN("M1 Garand",   5, 2000,c_brown,   IRON,   WOOD
   sk_rifle,   AT_3006, 12, 34, 12, 2, 0, 5, -3, 8, 0, 8, "\
Developed in the United States during the 1930's this was the first\n\
semi-automatic rifle to become general issue in war. Durable and boasts \n\
immense stopping power. It is chambered to fire the .30-06 round.",
0);

GUN("M1918 BAR",   5, 2200,c_brown,   IRON,   WOOD
   sk_rifle,   AT_3006, 20, 45, 20, -3, 0, 15, 5, 6, 4, 20, "\
The M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle was a selective fire automatic\n\
rifle that the United States used during the Second World War. It is\n\
cumbersome and suffers from terrible recoil. It is chambered to\n\
fire the .30-06 round.",
0);
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 22, 2011, 06:45:07 pm »

I've built quite a few characters with illiterate at this point, its a great flaw.

Whales, what did you think of my idea for the weapon books? You get a couple for each type, scattered across levels specifically to cover advanced techniques, but with plenty of gaps in the middle to make you require personal experience?

Actually... I think I may throw some variety of that type in this weekend to. Adding some items will certainly be easier than adding any sort of fatigue system.

Oh, and Whales, I don't think you're 'time taken' really accounts for the amount of time the player can spend sleeping and waiting. Considering that, 30 days doesn't seem THAT terrible. (maybe 10 for spring and autumn?)

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: July 22, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »

I like the idea of spring and autumn being "transitional" seasons so that there can be long summers and long winters. This way if you actually manage to survive the summer than you get the added bonus of trying to make it through a long harsh winter without it seeming that the seasons last forever.

Edit: I just looked up the actual lengths of seasons and it turns out that they are roughly the same length. Also if farming gets implemented it would be wise to keep them in realistic lengths. Disregard this then.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:07:34 pm by Sir Moops »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 22, 2011, 06:54:54 pm »

I'd prefer if they'd be equally long. They are just as important seasons, not just a buffer layer between hot and cold.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 777