Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263088 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2985 on: July 25, 2011, 09:42:28 am »

Cata's already got at least one EMP weapon, one of the bionics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 25, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

Even around 2050 I don't see robots being capable of doing massive damage or being extremely hard to destroy.

Man, I don't see bottles of mutagen that cause instantaneous growth of scales or an alcohol-based bionic fueling system as realistic either, but they make for fun gameplay!

EMP grenades are craftable given an electronics skill of 4--they are my go-to weapon for turrets, actually.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 25, 2011, 09:47:50 am »

Even around 2050 I don't see robots being capable of doing massive damage or being extremely hard to destroy.
Why not? Even now, in present day, we managed to develop all sorts of technology. Strength exoskeletons, durable alloys. The military even developed a quite good targeting system.

All the future society had to do is figure out how to make the robot move in an intelligent way, and of course, the power supply. With that, they can make a strong, hard to kill robot, armed with pretty much anything and equipped with a targetting system.

You underestimate the power of Science!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:16 am »

Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55:24 am »

Windows Version 1.9.1 released..

https://github.com/downloads/headswe/Cataclysm/Cataclysm_win_SDL_1.9.1.zip

now that was quick

I think it's a very nice addition! What I think is wrong is actually the alarm don't start with zombies. It would be a nice dynamic event: a zombie randomly beats a door, the alarms goes off, robots arrive and clean it up.

matric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:31 am »

Oblig xkcd http://xkcd.com/652/

If we wanted to be realistic, you would be dead and not even know it because the drones tracked you down and dropped a laser-guided bomb on your head.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:08 am »

I think it's a very nice addition! What I think is wrong is actually the alarm don't start with zombies. It would be a nice dynamic event: a zombie randomly beats a door, the alarms goes off, robots arrive and clean it up.
You could pretend the alarms are thermally based, and as such won't pick up the cold walking dead.

xkcd
No.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:34 am »

Oblig xkcd http://xkcd.com/652/

If we wanted to be realistic, you would be dead and not even know it because the drones tracked you down and dropped a laser-guided bomb on your head.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, these are meant to be police-deployed robots; most police forces frown upon using high ordinance to apprehend suspects.
What's that?  Copbots will keep tazering and beating you until you're dead?  Oh, well... they're on loan from the LAPD and thus never had the concept of "excessive force" programmed in  :P

You could pretend the alarms are thermally based, and as such won't pick up the cold walking dead.

My general strategy is to code for fun or ease of writing, and to let you guys fill in the plot holes/sci-fi mechanics for me  8)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:45 am »

Wait... Copbots will beat you to death? Wow! They're just like real police!  ;D
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:07 am »

My general strategy is to code for fun or ease of writing, and to let you guys fill in the plot holes/sci-fi mechanics for me  8)

If that's your coding philosophy...I will follow this game very very closely. It's the only right philosophy for development. *Applause*
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: July 25, 2011, 10:05:37 am »

Well, you can pretend a lot of things, but why not have this and other things happen? it makes the world feel more alive, and presents the player with more surprises to deal with, which imo is always fun.
Also, I hardly believe someone would pick thermal detection instead of motion for a security system in a time where robots can hover about. Wanna rob a bank? Sure, just send a robot in!
I'm in favour of having the player be at the same level as other entities on a game. Having "special conditions" feels like cheating.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 25, 2011, 10:12:05 am »

Well, you can pretend a lot of things, but why not have this and other things happen? it makes the world feel more alive, and presents the player with more surprises to deal with, which imo is always fun.
Also, I hardly believe someone would pick thermal detection instead of motion for a security system in a time where robots can hover about. Wanna rob a bank? Sure, just send a robot in!
I'm in favour of having the player be at the same level as other entities on a game. Having "special conditions" feels like cheating.

Yes, but almost all successful games that aren't Dwarf Fortress do that.  And you can see from it, giving player-like attributes to almost everything is less than stellar in both resource usage and implementation.
In the very end all those enemies are meant to kill you, and what matters is their efficiency at doing so. (EDIT: that is, to provide a challenge, or be convincing while efficient. Occam's razor. It's all about variety of challenges after all.)
Hell, in Megaman, all enemies were really unequal to the player, that didn't stop players from feeling it's the enemies who were cheating.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:19:21 am by DalGren »

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:01 am »

Yes, but almost all successful games that aren't Dwarf Fortress do that.  And you can see from it, giving player-like attributes to almost everything is less than stellar in both resource usage and implementation.
In the very end all those enemies are meant to kill you, and what matters is their efficiency at doing so.
Hell, in Megaman, all enemies were really unequal to the player, that didn't stop players from feeling it's the enemies who were cheating.

Maybe it's time to change the formula of successful games that aren't dwarf fortress?
I do understand the technical difficulty that it generates. It's just my way of seeing how a game should work.
Any way it gets implemented in Cataclysm, I'm sure it'll be a fun one ;)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28:53 am »

In the very end all those enemies are meant to kill you, and what matters is their efficiency at doing so.

Maybe it's time to change the formula of successful games that aren't dwarf fortress?
I do understand the technical difficulty that it generates. It's just my way of seeing how a game should work.
Any way it gets implemented in Cataclysm, I'm sure it'll be a fun one ;)

Enemies are just devices to provide challenge. You can make them challenging, interesting or clever, without needing immense frameworks that impact memory and performance. After all, if one enemy only has the task of shooting you, why should we calculate every possible piece of equipment and bonuses like with the player? After all, the player IS special, just because it has actual goals, needs, and code interfaces. The only goal the enemies have is "kill the player", you have plenty others.
And if you make enemies tend to needs, they will tend to them. Instead of doing their job. Like in Dwarf Fortress. Lazy dorfs.

NOTE that this doesn't mean enemies cannot have built-in strategies and such. But it's not that hard to do, and certainly doesn't require to elevate enemies to player-like entities. Players are players, enemies are enemies, they have different purposes and should be coded accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:33:55 am by DalGren »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:00 am »

I'd have thought the reason would be that the undead's faces are too rotten to be recognized, though they could just go into a "kill everything" mode if they can't detect the culprit specifically.

Idea: You can take apart one of the alarms, then construct a device such that you can summon robots to help you, they would ofcourse be limited use.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 777