Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263194 times)

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3510 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »

What does Fleet-Footed do? I've never really noticed a increase in speed with it. Is there something I'm missing? :|

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:00 pm »

What does Fleet-Footed do? I've never really noticed a increase in speed with it. Is there something I'm missing? :|

The only way to tell the difference is when you race a zombie. Without Fleet Footed, escaping is PAIN.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »

Most people will think stamina like that bar you have in battlefield games, that gets depleted when you cross the street, but a healthy unencumbered man can run pretty long distance before getting winded.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 28, 2011, 02:02:38 pm »

Most people will think stamina like that bar you have in battlefield games, that gets depleted when you cross the street, but a healthy unencumbered man can run pretty long distance before getting winded.

Well, most games that try to be "realistic" do that "cross the street = you can't run anymore" bullsh*t. So it's obvious I am against it because of prior experiences with such systems. Realism is bad for games, unless it's for flavor. Mods specially sin about this when the game is not "realistic enough", what usually means crippling the player for it to be "realistic".
I think pain and drugs slowing you down is good enough unless stamina is incredibly well-done and not annoying (as opposed to difficult)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:06:33 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: July 28, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »

The only way to tell the difference is when you race a zombie. Without Fleet Footed, escaping is PAIN.
Yeah escaping zombies is a bit easier.  Although fast zombies and hulks can still outrun you I think.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:36 pm »

Stamina would work IMO if you added in the option to sprint, basically a short burst of incredible speed at the expense of needing to spend several turns cooling off before you can move at normal speed again.
*Hugs*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: July 28, 2011, 02:06:50 pm »

The thing is those guys have all their gear and their weapon with them, which wouldn't make you tired by crossing a street but you definitely aren't unencumbered.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:49 pm »

Stamina would work IMO if you added in the option to sprint, basically a short burst of incredible speed at the expense of needing to spend several turns cooling off before you can move at normal speed again.
This would be better, definitely!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 28, 2011, 02:12:02 pm »

It is almost as if someone read my post a couple of pages ago where I described exactly what I was trying to do!

;)

Heheheh.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 28, 2011, 02:14:52 pm »

I see no mention of you stating that :P
*Hugs*

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 28, 2011, 02:18:17 pm »

The thing is those guys have all their gear and their weapon with them, which wouldn't make you tired by crossing a street but you definitely aren't unencumbered.

Oh, but you are forgetting those soldiers are professionals who are trained to carry all that weight and still perform. At least in my country's military, they are forced to move with backpacks with even more weight than they'll carry in a real battle, until they can do it properly. Distribution of weight is also key, it's not the same as when you pick up a heavy backpack.
The fact that you (or me, not calling you a pussy or anything) can't run when you are carrying weight doesn't mean THEY will have as much trouble.
And this happens in every game-related forum I visit!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 28, 2011, 02:30:11 pm »

I see no mention of you stating that :P

Sheeeoot, I forget how fast this thread moves! It was a whole freaking 30+ pages ago now, haha. I'll repeat the plan:

Basically, I want to introduce a "real" run mode (probably call it "sprint" mode though) that gives an "exhaustion" effect each time its used (stacking, strength of effect based on strength stat) that functions similar to the reload effect, in that it will fade over time (once run mode is disabled). After a certain point (cap based on strength), you would start having a chance to take damage with each step (each time an action would bring it over the cap), and while in run mode you would have an increased chance from taking damage from moving over difficult terrain that would normally only slow you down.

It's actually a bit ambitious as a plan, but the biggest problem right now is figuring out where to put the exhaustion meter. ;)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »

Add an int to the player class.  Increase it by 1 in player::reset(), decrease by 3 or 4 in game::plmove() if sprinting?  Just my first thought.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: July 28, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »

It will probably end up being something like that. The increased chance of damage is probably a bit more work. None of it is actually hard, it is only ambitious because I'm lazy.
(Thanks for giving me a heads up on what the functions were called, though, that will definitely save me some time!)

And also busy working on my own code stuff right now, heh.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 28, 2011, 04:09:33 pm »

I think bees are kind of broken. I can count at least two times where something very strange had happened. The first time, I was wandering around after being chased out of town by zombies, and wandered upon a hive. I high-tailed it out of there, since I was fairly 'low level' as in I had no good equipment/etcetera. I went back into town and hid in the back-room of a pharmacy, and went to sleep. In the middle of the night, I was woken up and giant bees were EVERYWHERE, I mean FUCKING EVERYWHERE around me. I was stung something like 50 times in one turn and died immediately.

The second time, I had gone far into the wilderness, hunting fur and meat and animals in general (this with a very high 'level' character. Had good weapons, skills, a nice safehouse, the lot). I wandered upon a hive, went further in to see if I could grab some honeycombs, since I needed those to cook up some royal jellies. I got a couple combs and decided that was enough, and started walking out. A bee blocked by path and I killed it, after getting hit a bit. Checking the map, I realized I was very far from the town, so I said 'eh, fuck it' and teleported to my safe house. I patched up the damage I took from that bee, and went to sleep.

Again, like the first occurrence, I woke up in the middle of the night with bees EVERYWHERE. They completely filled the room except for ~2 or so tiles around my character. This time, I teleported out of my safehouse and back in, and the bees were gone. I had just-JUST survived, 6 HP on my torso. Seeing as I had used the last of my first-aid kits in patching up the first bee I had encountered, I just popped some oxycodone and went to sleep. I then died in the night, either from the poison or one of those retarded glitches, I don't know.

Besides being fucking stupid and a waste of good characters (And I'm not sure how to wish all that stuff back, since wishing doesn't work for me for some reason; when I try to wish all I receive is 'nothings' or the like), it's unsettling and giving me disturbing vision in real life. (Imagine waking up surrounded by gigantic fucking bees... oh god).
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 777