Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263571 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4830 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:14 am »

Oh man this inventory stuff is painful. It's tied in VERY tightly with the player data. Whales, if its no big deal, I think my first project is going to be trying to pull the inventory out into its own "thing" to make it easier to work with, some actual inventory object. Unless you are particularly attached to this implementation, of course.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:27 am »

Oh man this inventory stuff is painful. It's tied in VERY tightly with the player data. Whales, if its no big deal, I think my first project is going to be trying to pull the inventory out into its own "thing" to make it easier to work with, some actual inventory object. Unless you are particularly attached to this implementation, of course.

Is the plan adding inventory to arbitrary entities? If not, better keep it tied with the player. Random enemies and stuff only need a simulation of inventory.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 09, 2011, 10:26:38 am »

You have my full support on this.  This is another case of a mechanic implemented early on in the project, when I had close to 0 coding experience and didn't realize that compartmentalizing things is good.  An inventory class would be pretty awesome to have!

Is the plan adding inventory to arbitrary entities? If not, better keep it tied with the player. Random enemies and stuff only need a simulation of inventory.

I disagree, having the inventory in its own class makes it easier to interact with, even if it's only instantiation is the player's inventory.  Anyway, NPCs have inventories as well, and these are interacted with in different ways.

I do think that the game::inv() function, the inventory UI dialogue, should remain tied to the player and shouldn't necessarily be a part of the inventory class, since this is strictly a UI function.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: August 09, 2011, 10:30:53 am »

I disagree, having the inventory in its own class makes it easier to interact with, even if it's only instantiation is the player's inventory.  Anyway, NPCs have inventories as well, and these are interacted with in different ways.

I do think that the game::inv() function, the inventory UI dialogue, should remain tied to the player and shouldn't necessarily be a part of the inventory class, since this is strictly a UI function.

Oh, I misunderstood it as being already a class but depending on player-only attributes. My bad.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 09, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

My character fell into a sinkhole and can't get out! I found a jackhammer down there, but no gasoline for it.  :(
Will (s)mashing at the walls eventually knock them down?

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:11 am »

Sinkholes? I've never seen one, but I don't think smashing walls knocks them down unless they say "smashable" when you look at them.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:10 am »

My character fell into a sinkhole and can't get out! I found a jackhammer down there, but no gasoline for it.  :(
Will (s)mashing at the walls eventually knock them down?

Map teleport out.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: August 09, 2011, 11:52:36 am »

Whales, there's a bunch of "inv" stuff having to do with bionics as well - is that actually related at all to the item inventory, or are you using inventory to refer to more than one thing here?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »

Seriously guys, how long is your longest game yet?
In my best game yet i managed to survive almost two days

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: August 09, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »

Whales, there's a bunch of "inv" stuff having to do with bionics as well - is that actually related at all to the item inventory, or are you using inventory to refer to more than one thing here?

Do you mean invlet?  This is used in both items and bionics to refer to the letter that is assigned to either one.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: August 09, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »

Seriously guys, how long is your longest game yet?
In my best game yet i managed to survive almost two days
A week or so. Then I got bored and sacrificed him to the Resonance Cascade. (And even that didn't kill him, so I had to jump in a Dissector a few times to finally retire him.)

I'd guess I could stay alive indefinately, though.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: August 09, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »

12 days and still counting. The secret is to not stay anywhere for too long, not stay near any spawn point, such as an anthill, and if you're going to stay somewhere for a long time for some reason, to sleep or finish off some books for example, take a shovel and dig pits in front of every entrance, preferably more than one row, and don't forget that zombies can move diagonally.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:46 pm »

12 days. I actually got bored and tried to take him down in a blaze of glory. Day 13 was hell, but Urist McKickass was finally taken down by a bunch of zombies and a molotov. My current char is on day 3, and I'm doing a melee only challenge. Also a nomad challenge. It's very challenging.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »

5 days. Usually I die when first starting out. If i manage to survive trying to find supplies. I'll usually last 2-3 days before dying doing something careless or stupid.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »

12 days. I actually got bored and tried to take him down in a blaze of glory. Day 13 was hell, but Urist McKickass was finally taken down by a bunch of zombies and a molotov. My current char is on day 3, and I'm doing a melee only challenge. Also a nomad challenge. It's very challenging.

Get used to nomad challenges.  As the game moves towards being more goal-oriented (to prevent the boredom that takes over once you reach indefinite survival), you'll be doing a lot more time-constrained traveling, and won't have as many chances to bunker up or search for gear endlessly.

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 777