Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263040 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4935 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »

The special-effect system for ammo opens a lot of possibilities here.  I'm already working on adding grenade launchers to the game (albeit hard-to-find ones) and M203 attachments for rifles; grenades could range from standard concussive ones, frag grenades, napalm grenades, tear gas canisters, etc; and others more unique to the setting, such as acid grenades that work like spitter zombies' attack, EMP grenades,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the player has access to a glass ampoule (maybe a syringe, to use an already-existing item) and a spitter zombie gland (coming soon), they could craft acid bullets!

Paul, thanks for the mp3 player change, that's a bit more in-line with how they should behave, eh?  I'll adopt this in the main game distribution.

This is interesting, I am all for special ammunition.
Will there be shotgun shell grenades? (they exist IRL, aren't extremely powerful, but very cool) Even if extremely rare, I'd love to see those around.
I always wanted to use those in a game I didn't make.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4936 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

The special-effect system for ammo opens a lot of possibilities here.  I'm already working on adding grenade launchers to the game (albeit hard-to-find ones) and M203 attachments for rifles; grenades could range from standard concussive ones, frag grenades, napalm grenades, tear gas canisters, etc; and others more unique to the setting, such as acid grenades that work like spitter zombies' attack, EMP grenades,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the player has access to a glass ampoule (maybe a syringe, to use an already-existing item) and a spitter zombie gland (coming soon), they could craft acid bullets!

Paul, thanks for the mp3 player change, that's a bit more in-line with how they should behave, eh?  I'll adopt this in the main game distribution.

This is interesting, I am all for special ammunition.
Will there be shotgun shell grenades? (they exist IRL, aren't extremely powerful, but very cool) Even if extremely rare, I'd love to see those around.
I always wanted to use those in a game I didn't make.
Well, since you can make grenades out of 00 shots and gasoline in a tin can, then yeah, there are technically shotgun grenades here.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4937 on: August 10, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »

He means explosive shotgun shells, like the Frag-12.

And that would probably be really easy for me to add... I might do that.

Not sure what materials would be realistic for that, though. Lead for the fragmentation, gunpowder to propel it, and explosive to blow up - but what explosive to use? Gasoline in a shotgun shell would be silly, and just extra gunpowder would be kinda lame.

Maybe NUCLEAR ammo. Plutonium cell + batteries + casing + primer + gunpowder for propellant. Boom! Mini-mini nukes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:28:15 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 10, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »

I must have a video of those somewhere, but the whole grenade was (not counting the plastic layer outside) a metal cylinder with a few mobile "fin" parts at the back (I assume to use as wings for stability). Looks like a cartoon torpedo but in shotgun shell size.
Gasoline in a shell is pretty silly, but unless you want to add another extra explosive substance...I guess the only option is loads of gunpowder.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »

And how about special effects for melee weapons? Like a torch or something. Rag+Gasoline+Baseball bat OR Heavy stick OR 2x4.    It could double as a light source and a firy bashing implement.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

Founds fine, that. We can use more light sources. (lighters?)

Nab McNabbers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: August 10, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »

more light sources.

This. If i am already burning heaps of zombies in my basement i damn well deserve to read a romantic novel in this cozy atmosphere.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »

Torches, like I suggested, or maybe a slightly bulkier lantern with 500 charges.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

And how about special effects for melee weapons? Like a torch or something. Rag+Gasoline+Baseball bat OR Heavy stick OR 2x4.    It could double as a light source and a firy bashing implement.

Implemented already.  Look for it in my next mini-update, or possibly in the construction update if I find time to finish that.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »

A way to have light sources not centralized on the player would be amazing.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: August 10, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »

A way to have light sources not centralized on the player would be amazing.

Certainly, it'd also be a huge update requiring several new systems to be written.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4946 on: August 10, 2011, 06:19:41 pm »

Got a bug report- My game is lagging a lot, but only when I move. when I use the e(x)amine command, it runs normal speed. I try to move and theres a huge delay.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: August 10, 2011, 06:23:55 pm »

Got a bug report- My game is lagging a lot, but only when I move. when I use the e(x)amine command, it runs normal speed. I try to move and theres a huge delay.

Hmm.  Without knowing the circumstances, this doesn't help to much.  Here's some ideas:
  • Are there NPCs in play, by any chance?  Hit ~ and look for debug messages to this effect.
  • Are there a lot of monsters in play?  Hit Z and check the game status, it will tell you how many monsters exist.  Fungaloids in particular are known to cause slowness if there are a lot nearby.
  • Some other map effects could cause this.  Try flushing the map by hitting Z, and doing a long-range teleport to someplace far away.
  • Is your speed very low?  Are you heavily irradiated?  Do you have any other odd special effects that you know of?

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: August 10, 2011, 06:40:42 pm »

Is this a port or a mod?

EDIT: Grr, the lexical nazi in me still refuses to call this "mods".

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »

Illogically, massive weight and, logically, volume savings can be achieved by carrying batteries in a radio vs unloaded. In fact, rather illogically, the batteries take up 1 less volume inside the radio, then the radio itself, and a couple of points less weight.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 777